Is 2013 becoming the Year of Burt? In addition to his new memoir, a host of international tour dates and several new compilations, PBS will present a new special in June showcasing some of Burt Bacharach’s vintage television performances. Below is the full press release from PBS:
For over half a century, the immensely popular and immediately identifiable melodies of celebrated composer Burt Bacharach have touched millions of music lovers around the world. Beginning his career as an accompanist to the legendary Marlene Dietrich, Bacharach established himself in the 1960s as a successor to his Tin Pan Alley predecessors, creating some of the most beloved and successful pop music ever to grace radio, television and film. Hosted by Robert Wagner, this first-time ever archival PBS special includes all the original artists performing Bacharach’s hits with rare footage and clips from the 1960s-1980s. BURT BACHARACH’S BEST (MY MUSIC) is part of special programming premiering on PBS stations beginning June 1, 2013 (check local listings).
Bacharach teamed with lyricist Hal David for a stunning run of classic songs, many in tandem with songstress Dionne Warwick (“Walk On By,” “I Say a Little Prayer,” “Alfie”). British-born Dusty Springfield enjoyed an iconic Bacharach hit with the seductive “The Look of Love,” while Tom Jones popularized the playful “What’s New Pussycat?” and Herb Alpert romanticized with “This Guy’s in Love With You.” The smashes continued in the 70s when the Carpenters reached #1 with “(They Long to Be) Close to You,” following another chart-topper, “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head,” the Oscar-winning tune sung by B.J. Thomas in the film Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid.
The 1980s witnessed more Bacharach chart-toppers such as “Arthur’s Theme” by Christopher Cross and “That’s What Friends Are For” by Dionne Warwick, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight and Elton John. Film and TV star Robert Wagner brings his distinctively smooth charm and sophisticated style to his role as host for this first-time, all-archival compilation of Bacharach’s music and melodies.
BURT BACHARACH’S BEST (MY MUSIC) features these performances:
• Austin Powers Intro “Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Burt Bacharach”
• “Walk On By” – Dionne Warwick
• “I Say a Little Prayer” – Dionne Warwick
• “Any Day Now” – Chuck Jackson
• “What’s New Pussycat?” – Tom Jones
• “The Look of Love” – Dusty Springfield
• “This Guy’s in Love With You” – Herb Alpert
• “This Girl’s in Love With You” – Dionne Warwick
• “Alfie” – Dionne Warwick
• “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head” – B.J. Thomas
• “One Less Bell to Answer” – The Fifth Dimension
• “What the World Needs Now Is Love” – Jackie DeShannon
• “(They Long to Be) Close to You” – The Carpenters
• “A House Is Not a Home” – Burt Bacharach and Dusty Springfield
• “Arthur’s Theme” – Christopher Cross and Burt Bacharach with Carole Bayer Sager
• “That’s What Friends Are For” – Elton John, Dionne Warwick, Stevie Wonder and Gladys Knight