Dionne in Amsterdam

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

Dionne Warwick in Amsterdam
Dispelling marijuana myths, talking God, the Pope, her beloved Brazil, new book – and, of course, music – Dionne Warwick was in Amsterdam recently and Pip Farquharson was there.

Fashionably late, Dionne Warwick strolls into the conference room of the American Book Center's cultural off-shoot, the Treehouse, during a recent Saturday afternoon in Amsterdam. Here to promote her newly-released autobiography My Point of View she's meeting the public to face questions with an intimacy akin to being with her in her own living room.

Dionne Warwick
Casually dressed – looking like she's just popped out of the kitchen to ask if you want sugar in that coffee – her slacks, jumper and huge, thick-lens glasses belie her legendary status as one of the world's greatest female singers. And her looks belie her 63 years – and way of life – as she openly admits: "I drink an awful lot of coffee. I smoke cigarettes. And I'm much too lazy to workout!"

Laziness is something that's hard to believe from a woman whose achievements are impressive in a career spanning more than 40 years which kicked off following a concert in Paris, starring the legendary Marlene Dietrich.

In the decade following, she notched up more than 30 US hit singles including Do You Know The Way To San José?, Walk On By, This Girl's In Love With You and Say A Little Prayer, and the veritable queen of easy-listening coolly reached cult status for a (never used) James Bond theme Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and her theme tune for The Valley of the Dolls.

Two decades on, in 1982, her Bee Gees-produced album Heartbreaker topped the international charts, garnering a new generation of fans worldwide.

She's been awarded five Grammys; was the first African-American woman to perform in front of Queen Elizabeth II at 1968's Royal Command Performance; and has even sung classical music in Tokyo with the National Opera Company of Japan.

On top of that, she's been variously honoured for her humanitarian endeavours – especially for her work with AIDS charities; was US Ambassador for Health during the 1980s; and, in 2002, embarked on her global role as the FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization) Ambassador of the United Nations.

Hard indeed to believe that someone of her iconic status is so down-to-earth and relaxed as she answers questions put to her by a public of fans here in Amsterdam, thrilled at the opportunity to meet her face to face – and for free. And, after an initial shyness, the questions come fast and furiously.

Her favourite song?

"Every single song that I sing which was written for me. I treat them like my children." (Though, remarkably, later reveals that after making an album she only listens to her music for no more than a week afterwards.)

Her most memorable moment?

"Personally, the birth of my two sons. Professionally, there are too many to choose but I guess my first awards, my first trip abroad, my first Royal Command Performance and meeting the Pope. "The man is awesome," she enthuses. "You really know you're in the presence of a Godly man. And he's funny too. I've done four concerts at the Vatican. Last time, he joked – you're here again?" she laughs.

Why she has chosen to live in Brazil?

"Brazil and I chose each other. I've been touring there since the beginning of my career and I love the people. They make the country. And the music, of course. One morning, I was looking out across the ocean and watched the sun come up: I realised I was home. Plus, there I can go to the grocery store: people recognise me but there's a genuine respect for their artist. And there's no pressure. I call it my stress-free country," she adds. Asked if she misses her family on mainland USA, she quips: "Planes fly both ways!"

What does she think of the state of today's music industry with shows like Pop Idols?

"The industry now is not the one in which I grew up, the one I know," she ponders. "Lyrics of value no longer exist, melodies no longer exist. It's stopped being a recording industry but a marketing industry."

What does she do when she's not touring?

"Well... I've got five grandchildren," she adequately answers.

And how does she manage to be so down to earth?

"My mother, father and grandfather," she says without hesitation. Adding that they have taught her that to earn respect you have to give it. Clearly a huge influence on her life, her grandfather (who was a Methodist minister at the church where she would sing as a six-year-old), also taught her not to dwell on what's bad for you but, rather, make it work for you.

Another great influence is her obvious pride in her heritage. "People don't know this but shoes... the first cataract operation... street lighting... they were all invented by black people." Then, when someone asks why there is so much anger in today's "black music" like hip-hop, a quick look of disbelief crosses her faces before she answers the obvious in a (probably restrained) non-patronising way.

Inevitably questions which have so far been respectful, if not predictable, slowly broach more controversial subjects.

Her views on Michael Jackson?

"I've known Michael since he was seven-years-old. I don't believe he's done anything of the nature that he's been accused."

Her thoughts on drugs?

"Drugs never excite me. They've never had an interest for me," she declares. Later, privately, I ask her about the infamous Miami International Airport incident in May 2002 – where the singer was busted after customs officers found 11 joints concealed in a lipstick case. "Well, I don't smoke marijuana."

"And," she laughs. "I don't even have a lipstick case."

She then goes on to explain that they eventually caught a woman who had planted them there. "Wow. You never read about that," I sympathise. "True," she says. Then giggles, clearly relieved that this difficult chapter is now behind her, musing that at least it made her "hip" for a while.

But on a whirlwind European tour to promote her book (so whirlwind that she falters for a minute as she tries to remember whether she's in Zurich or Amsterdam), she reveals the inspiration behind My Point of View.

"It's how I feel about certain issues," she says. "I wouldn't say it was autobiographical, as such, but more perhaps about offering pearls of wisdom. I've feel I've been truly blessed in my life and want to selflessly pass some of that on".

Ten months in the making, the hardback was published in February of this year by Mastropaolo & Koblischek and is made up of around 200 pages, heavily illustrated with photos taken throughout her life. (Those she's pictured with include Hillary Clinton, the Pope, Natalie Cole, Neil Armstrong, Sonny Bono, the British Queen Mum... and her cousin Whitney Houston).

Inside are her thoughts on various episodes from her life, as well as on subjects ranging from beauty secrets to success, the Bible to her brand of perfume and relationships to her mom's "chicken and dumplings" – all interspersed with short tributes to her from friends and family.

All in all, it provides a rare insight into Warwick's life, as well as offering some inspiring snippets for everyday living. Additionally, the book comes with a CD featuring four new recordings, including a wonderfully Warwick-esque version of What A Fool Believes (made famous by The Doobie Brothers). On a par with her sultry Walk On By, it could be the ultimate soundtrack for the summer.

Currently, Warwick is busy recording an album featuring 40 duets of her songs with friends such as Elton John, Gladys Knight, Patti LaBelle, José Feliciano, Barry Manilow, Pink and members of Destiny's Child. She's also set to appear in concert in Amsterdam later in the year.

My Point of View
[ISBN: 980930009]
EUR 47.90
Available from the American Book Center, Kalverstraat 185, Amsterdam
Online: www.abc.nl
Tel: 020 625 5537

April 2004
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

2 New Dates!

July 30-Fairfield Hall, Croydon,UK
August 12-The Helix,Dublin,Ireland
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

"I have never understood the eagerness for conflict. I view

it as an act of greed that will cause unnecessary destruction, and individual heartache."

Her tone is gentle and earnest as she continues: "I have my faith and have been praying and I have the ability to highlight the protest against this war alongside many other celebrities over here."

One consequence of military action could be the curtailment of her tour. But she is determined to keep tour dates wherever possible.

Once again, Croydon's Fairfield is one of the venues lucky enough to have booked this amazing diva of divas.

As soon as we start discussing the tour, and returning to

Croydon, her mood lightens and even after four decades in the music industry she is fiercely enthusiastic about this project and her work.

Her dedication to her profession is admirable, and her energy seems to be indefatigable.

Over 40 years the industry has changed, yet Dionne Warwick is still a household name.

She has fans, like myself, who adored her love songs which expressed how we felt during those teenage love affairs.

Her songs, penned by Burt Bacharach and Hal David, were the ones we wept with and identified with as we felt the first pains of rejection and unrequited love. Don't Make Me Over, Walk on By, Anyone Who Had a Heart all songs that comforted aching broken hearts. And not just the folly of youth was soothed by her songs, even today those deserted by a partner will find it hard not get a lump in their throats listening to A House is Not a Home.

The words are simple, yet it's Dionne's soul and emotion infused into the lyrics that have made them classics.

In recent years, Dionne's pioneering efforts have focussed on leading the music industry in the fight against AIDS:

her Grammy-winning, chart-topping single That's What Friends Are For was the tip of the iceberg, raising millions of dollars for AIDS' research.

Throughout the world she has devoted countless hours to a wide range of humanitarian causes, serving as the US Ambassador for Health throughout the eighties. Last October she was named a global ambassador for the UN's Food and Agriculture Organisation. She is a socially conscious and concerned global citizen.

How does she find time the time to do all of this?

She laughed as she replied: "I don't plan my [path, it is where God guides me and I am proud to do the UN work. I don't set restrictions, and use windows of opportunity as and when they arise."

She admits to never being nervous before going on stage.

"I am never anxious. I do an enormous amount of preparation, there is no room for time wasters. In this industry time is truly money."

How does she choose what to include in her programmes on tour?

"I always have a handle on what people enjoy, different songs have to be incorporated and audiences always want to hear some hits. Whether it's for England or Japan, I choose the numbers," she said.

In her own time she said she listens to loads of Brazilian music.

"Twelve years ago she designed a home in Brazil, where she now resides, dividing her time between there and the US where her family live.

"I always have the radio on and listen to music from Brazil. When I play CD's I probably pick some Earth, Wind and Fire, I love them. I really don't follow current trends or pop music that much.

"There are a few who are doing good things out there, but all this gangster rapping, brutal music I hate.

"I will always be opposed to violence. I think there is an enormous responsibility on people who perform these songs with inciting messages. There will be a backlash. Look what's happening to our youth already!"

Yet in these troubled times Dionne still has faith in her fellow men. She is thrilled with her latest project.

My Friends and Me is a CD composed of duets with her peers due for release soon.

"It was the most exciting recording project for me. Almost 40 duets and I feel so very fortunate that I can say everyone I sang with is my friend.

"I am very, very blessed in my life, and yes, I still have goals.

"I have sad over the years, I still want the Tony, Oscar and Emmy!"

But at the moment what she wants most is looking more unattainable. She can express it bestin song: What The World Needs Now is Love.