On The Flip Side

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

On The Flip Side

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

For those, like me, who have followed vaporous leads, watched on-line orders produce nothing but apologies from depleted sources, and otherwise been !#%&@*-ed over...Amazon is accepting pre-orders for a re-re-re-issue due from Universal in late June/early July. This looks good; let`s hope.
Steve Schenck

on the flip side

Post by Steve Schenck »

Thanks for the heads-up, blair. I've wanted to get hold of this soundtrack for years. Love "They Don't Give Medals to Yesterday's Heroes." Am eager to hear the whole score.
Dennis Webb

Re: On the Flip Side

Post by Dennis Webb »

Coincidentally, I just managed to buy a vinyl copy of "On the Flip Side" on eBay, and for only $5.99. When I saw the above posting last week, I did a quick check on eBay to see what BB merchandise they had, and there were two different sellers with vinyl "On the Flip Side" disks for sale. I missed getting the first one but managed to bag the second (cheaper) copy without any opposing bids.

The CD reissue described on Amazon is pretty expensive at $30-plus. It's a shame that the re-issue company couldn't have also licensed the film itself and included that in the package for the price.

I also noticed that someone (a Japanese company, I think) is reissuing BB's "Woman" LP on CD, sometime this summer. But it, too, is going to be $30 or more.
Blair N. Cummings

vinyl deal

Actually, $5.99 is about two dollars more than I paid for my original copy (which yours may well be). Considering the album`s very brief playing time, it`s also about what it would cost now in a well-run world. I`m grabbing the re-issue because I miss Joanie Sommers` version of Try to See It My Way, the full rendition of Juanita`s Place, and the unaccountably un-covered It Doesn`t Matter Any More. (Supposedly Cyrkle - of Red Rubber Ball fame- recorded it once, but I never heard it).Anyway, this is what those of us who long ago let slip our vinyl collections get.
By the way, just out of curiosity...is the Something Big set (which of course included Woman) now out of print?
KeithBurke

On The Flip Side Download

Post by KeithBurke »

For those of you who don't want to wait until June or feel 30 smackers is a bit excessive for 26 minutes of music I am more than happy to share my MP3 file for the score from On The Flip Side (all 10 selections in one file via youSendit).

LINK: http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0PBB ... YC4KP9MW1S

Track 01: It Doesn't Matter Anymore/Rick Nelson.
Track 02: Fender Mender/Joanie Sommers And The Celestials.
Track 03: They Don't Give Medals/Rick Nelson.
Track 04: Try To See It My Way/Joanie Sommers.
Track 05: Juanita's Place Montage/Chorus and Orchestra.
Track 06: Take A Broken Heart/Rick Nelson.
Track 07: They're Gonna Love It/Donna Jean Young.
Track 08: Try To See It My Way/Rick Nelson and Joanie Sommers.
Track 09: Juanita's Place/ The Celestials.
Track 10: They Don't Give Medals/ Orchastra Conducted By Peter Matz

Enjoy...
Blair N. Cummings

Thanks!

Thanks, Keith! I hadn`t heard this in decades! A few of Burt`s best melodies are tucked in here.

Parenthetically - What ever became of Joanie Sommers, anyway?
KeithBurke

Joanie Sommers

Post by KeithBurke »

Joanie Sommers was born Joan Drost in Buffalo, New York in 1941. While barely a teen, her family moved to California where Sommers began to pursue singing. She started singing with the band at her high-school dances at Venice High School.

In 1959, Sommers was put under contract by Warner Bros. records. She was put to work singing with Edd Byrnes (replacing Connie Stevens) of the TV series _"77 Sunset Strip" and guested on the show. Her first single with Byrnes was titled "Kookie's Love Song" and it was followed by her first solo album, 'Positively The Most', that same year. Critics embraced the jazz-influenced album and she was dubbed "the greatest singing discovery of the last 15 years". She was eighteen years old.

In 1960, Sommers released her first solo single, a rendition of "One Boy" from the musical Bye Bye Birdie which charted at #54 on Billboard's 100. In 1962, her biggest hit "Johnny Get Angry" reached #7. That year she was named "Most promising new female vocalist of 1962" by Cashbox magazine.

In 1965, Sommers reached her peak with the critically-acclaimed album Softly The Brazilian Sound which paired her with bossa nova guitarist Laurindo Almeida. She left Warner Bros. for Columbia Records in 1966. She had several singles with Columbia, but only one album titled 'Come Alive'. Also in 1966, she played the part of a pink-haired angel who helps an ex-teen idol played by Ricky Nelson on the _"ABC-TV Stage 67" (1966)_ production "On the Flip Side" which featured songs by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. Included in the soundtrack was Sommers' rendition of "Try To See It My Way".

During the 60s, she made many TV appearances and the feature films Everything's Ducky (1961) and The Lively Set (1964). She also was the voice behind the popular Pepsi-Cola jingles "It's Pepsi, for those who think young." and "Now you see it, now you don't, oh, Diet Pepsi!"

As the 60s were ending, Joanie Sommers essentially retired from show business in order to concentrate on her marriage and children. In recent years, she has reemerged to perform at nightclubs and has recorded new albums.
Rio

Post by Rio »

Thanks!
One I was never able to find and listen to is the Stephanie Mills album to which I've read many good references here.
Any chance that one could be made available?