Bacharach&David Review

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

warbachavid

Bacharach&David Review

Post by warbachavid »

Back to Bacharach & David A musical revue featuring tunes by award-winning song writers Burt Bacharach and Hal David. Staged Wednesday through Sunday by Circle Theatre at the Aquinas College Performing Arts Center, Grand Rapids, May 5 - 23. Tickets: $22. 616-456-6656. www.circletheatre.org.
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

Singers belt out Bacharach for Circle in the Summer opener
Sunday, May 02, 2004
By Sue Merrell
The Grand Rapids Press
Community Circle Theatre's 2004 season is arranged like a love story, managing director Joe Dulin says.

From Our Advertiser

The five-show Circle in the Summer season opens Wednesday with the romantic music of "Back to Bacharach &David."

"This is a good date show," Dulin said. "It's a great show for that guy who's not too familiar with musical theater because these are songs people recognize."

But you might not want to tell your date the rest of Dulin's analogy. Circle's season progresses to the meet-the-parents debacles of "Mornings at Seven" and "La Cage Aux Folles" in June and July, "The Perfect Wedding" in August and "Baby" is due in September.

Actually, the music of composer Burt Bacharach and lyricist Hal David is suitable for the whole family.

Bacharach, who will turn 76 during Circle's run of "Back to Bacharach &David," has been collaborating on hit recordings with David since 1957. The pair are Boomer favorites with 52 Top 40 hits in the '60s and '70s.

But Bacharach has a whole new set of young fans after appearing in the funky Austin Powers movies in 1997, 1999 and 2003.

"I can't think of anyone else who has been as successful for so long," Dulin said.

As an example of his universal appeal, in one year -- 1969 -- Bacharach won two Academy Awards for the score of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" and the song "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head; a Tony nomination for his Broadway musical, "Promises, Promises;" Grammy Awards for the albums from "Butch Cassidy" and "Promises, Promises," and his jazz album, "Make It Easy On Yourself," hit the Top 10.

"The most significant thing about (Bacharach and David's) music is the hooks," said Scott Patrick Bell, who serves as musical director for Circle's production. A hook, he explained, is a memorable, recognizable melodic line.

"Gut-wrenching lyrics are put together with this soaring melody. They are different than any other writing team," Bell said.

Among the 30 songs in the revue are "Always Something There To Remind Me," "The Look of Love," "What the World Needs Now," "Anyone Who Had a Heart," "What's New Pussy Cat?" "Wishin' and Hopin' " and "Walk On By."

"These are all songs that mean something to people," Dulin said. "When you hear one, you remember where you were. It relates to your personal history."

"I was surprised at how many songs he did write," Brian Damson, director for the show, said.

This is the local directorial debut for Damson, who has won Grand Awards for his performances in "Sweeney Todd" and "Into the Woods." Last season, he was choreographer for "Beehive" at Circle.

The "Back to Bacharach &David" cast features three singers in from last season's "Beehive" -- Deb Alexander, Michelle Covington and Lindsey Norton. They will be joined by Bob Haggard, who appeared in "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change."

"These are fabulous performers," Damson said. "They could sing the phone book, and it would be just fine."

Damson said the revue is more theatrical in the first act and more glamorous in the second act. The show will center on the individual performers and their interpretations of the songs rather than a plot, but Damson said there will be plenty of humor and interaction with the audience. The on-stage band will provide some vocal backup as well.

"This is a hugely demanding show for four singers," said Bell, who was musical director for "Smokey Joe's Cafe" and "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change."

Bell said one of the biggest challenges has been restructuring the music in the best key for each lead vocalist.

"You've got these great voices and these beautiful songs. You need to paint them together."
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

Circle unveils magical Bacharach revue
Thursday, May 06, 2004
By Sue Merrell
The Grand Rapids Press
Happy Birthday, Burt!

From Our Advertiser

Prolific pop composer Burt Bacharach turns 76 next week, and I can't imagine a better present than the "Back to Bacharach &David" revue Community Circle Theatre opened Wednesday for an audience of about 300 at the Aquinas College Performing Arts Center.

Director Brian Damson has put together a polished, professional, two-hour show that rivals anything you'd see in Las Vegas. Four enormously talented singers breathe power and personality into jazzy new arrangements of about 30 beloved songs by Bacharach and lyricist Hal David.

As the opening number says, there's always something in these numbers to remind us of a favorite movie, a first dance, a summer romance. But if you're expecting right-from-the-radio renditions, you're going to be disappointed. Many are similar to the snappy songs you may remember, but most have a sassy new attitude. From the Latin rhythm under "There's Always Something There to Remind Me," to the gospel finale of "I Say a Little Prayer For You" and the funky rock version of "Never Get to Heaven," this Bacharach is baaad in the best way.

This show spotlights the singers even more than the songs, and each of these performers is a standout. All have rich voices and impeccable phrasing, allotting precious pauses to emphasize these dramatic lyrics.

Michelle Covington's voice seems created for Bacharach, caressing each note with tender softness and then soaring to the ceiling. Her expansive treatment of "Any Day Now" would give Burt shivers. Her "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head," was a thunderstorm compared to the gentle sprinkle you may remember from the movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid."

Lindsey Norton was the source of much of the evening's humor since she's too young to remember the debut of any of Bacharach's hits. But this energetic little waif also has an amazingly powerful voice. Her version of "Close to You" would have knocked The Carpenters' 1970 version off the charts.

Bob Haggard, the sole man in the ensemble, also added lots of humor with his playful treatment of "This Guy's in Love With You" and "Wives and Lovers." He sang "Alfie" with such an engaging grin on his face that we know poor Alfie is going to be just fine, even if it's never figured out what life's all about.

Debra Alexander was the sob sister in several numbers, really getting down with her plaintive "Anyone Who Had a Heart." But she also added a snappy, optimistic attitude to "What the World Needs Now" and "I Say a Little Prayer."

Even music director/pianist Scott Patrick Bell sang a couple of numbers, including a very emotional contemporary rock piece, "God Give Me Strength."

The stage is set with elegant, curving stairs wrapping the three-piece band and providing the architectural interest of a raised platform. Soft lighting gave the evening a romantic haze.

Director Damson has including a surprising, playful finish to the first act and a dramatic beginning to the second. Casual conversation between the numbers worked well most of the time, but a feigned audience-request scene in the second act lacked spontaneity and believability.

One section was devoted to songs of pain, which in this show might have been caused by the obscenely high stiletto heels the women were wearing. Surely, those are in violation of Geneva Convention guidelines.

"Back to Bacharach" is a fantastic opening to Circle's first full summer season at Aquinas.

© 2004 Grand Rapids Press. Used with permission
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

From Bacharach to barbers, adelines to opera, music is in the air this weekend. And while some will be tip-toeing through the tulips, others will be high-tailing it along the riverbank.

Here's a look at the Top Five.

5 -- Bacharach and David. As collaborators of some of pop music's most memorable songs, Burt Bacharach and Hal David scored 52 top 40 hits in the '60s and '70s. Their music continues to be discovered by younger generations. It wasn't long ago when Bacharach was a guest on Fox-TV's "American Idol" as contestants sang his songs.

Now, Circle in the Summer opens its new season with the musical revue, "Bacharach and David." Hit songs include "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head," "Walk on By," "Wishin' and Hopin' " and "What the World Needs Now."

The show continues at 8 tonight through Saturday and 3 p.m. Sunday. Performances continue through May 23 at the new theater at the Aquinas College Performing Arts Center, 1607 Robinson Road SE. Tickets are $22 and available at the box office, 456-6656. For more details, go to www.circletheatre.org or www.aquinas.edu.

DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I went to see this last night. Great singers, but if you're a Bacharach purist, some of the arrangements really throw you. To me, Burt's music is as much about the specific chord choices and arrangement details as they are the melody itslef. When some of those fundamentals are changed, it sometimes doesn't even seem like Burt's music anymore. What The World Needs Now was done in 4/4 time ... just as an example. There were many other rhythm and chord structure changes. I enjoyed the performance, but it just didn't "feel" right.