Non-Bacharach Bacharach

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Boomboy

Non-Bacharach Bacharach

Post by Boomboy »

While driving back from Palm Springs to L.A. last night I was listening to Sergio Mendes' Greatest Hits. I was struck by the Bacharachian quality in the song 'Pretty World'. While perhaps not as complex as some of the maestro’s compositions there is a definite Bacharach feel to the tune. I was wondering if you guys might have some other Non-Bacharach ditties that share the Bacharach sound.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Great topic for this discussion board - we addressed it in this forum some time ago. There are many - for starters: a song recorded several years back by Olivia Newton John entitled "Sam" written by John Farrar / Hank Marvin / Dan Black. I'll add more of my picks for this list of "faux Bacharach" or shall we call them "Bacharach influenced" songs later on!
rob

Post by rob »

A TOUCH OF BACHARACH

Side A.
My First Love (Lee Morris-Mort Garson) Babs Tino
Prod. by Burt Bacharach. Orch.directed by Burt Bacharach.

Love Is A Dangerous Game (Billy Mure) Jimmy Beaumont
Arranged & conducted by Billy Mure

If You Can't Say Anything Nice (Vance-Pockriss) Verdelle Smith
Arranged & conducted by Lee Pockriss. A Vance/Pockriss prod.

Baby I Could Be So Good At Loving You (Buzz Clifford) Eddie Jason
Arranged by Charles Callelo. Produced by Eddie Jason.

Don't Lose Your Head (Shelly Coburn-Claus Ogerman) Linda Scott
Arr.& cond. by Alan Lorber. Produced by Laurence Weiss.

Don't Take Your Time (Tony Asher-Roger Nichols) Roger Nichols

Stop Feeling Sorry For Yourself (Chris Andrews) Sandie Shaw

In and Out of Love (Robert Velline) Bobby Vee
Arranged by Al Capps. Produced by Snuff Garrett.

You Knew What You Were Getting (Wylie-Hamilton-Savoy)
Juanita Williams Produced by "Popcorn" Wylie.

Dream of the Year (DeShannon-Sheeley) Jimmy Elledge
(No credits. Probably produced by Chet Atkins.)

Poof (Giant-Baum-Kaye) Kenny Lynch
(No credits. Probably a Giant/Baum production.)

That's How Love Goes (P.Anka) Paul Anka
Arranged by Jimmy Wisner. Produced by Bob Cullen.

Look Away (Ross-Lawley-McClain) Eternity's Children
Produced by Gary Paxton.

Cheaters Honeymoon (A.Gordon) Alan Gordon
Produced and arranged by Jack Nitzsche

Where Do You Come From (London-Black) Buckinghams
Produced by Jimmy Wisner.

Tell Me You Love Me (Jones-Moore-Sanders-Thomas-Wrightsil) Masqueraders Produced by Tommy Cogbill.

People Make the World Go Round (Thom Bell-Linda Creed) Stylistics
Produced by Thom Bell.

Side B.
Midnight Town, Daybreak City (Leiber-Stoller) Roy Hamilton
Arranged by Garry Sherman. A Leiber-Stoller Production.
She's Still There (Al Kooper-Irwin Levine) Gene Pitney
(No credits. Probably arranged by Garry Sherman.)

Get Out of My Life (Teddy Randazzo) Timi Yuro
Arranged by Teddy Randazzo. A Nick Venet production.

My Love Come Home (Colonello-Panzeri-Conrad) Cilla Black
With John Pearson's Orchestra.

Do Your Own Thing (Jery Leiber-Mike Stoller) Brook Benton
Arranged by Mike Stoller. A Leiber-Stoller production.

When the Boys Get Together (Hal David-S.Edwards) Joanie Sommers
Arranged by Stan Applebaum

Bobby Did (Neil Diamond-Carl D'Errico) Marcy Blane
Orchestra directed by O.B. Masingill.

Small Town Bring Down (Pete Anders-Vinnie Poncia) Tony Bruno
Arr.& conducted by Artie Butler. Produced by Artie Ripp.

I've Been Here Before (Ted Daryll-Billy Vera) Peggy March
Arr.& conducted by Lee Holdridge. Produced by Ted Daryll.

Gettin' Through To Me (Randazzo-Weinstein) Royalettes
Produced and arranged by Teddy Randazzo

Leading Me Back To You (Michael Franks-Joe Sample) Michael Franks
Produced by Tommy LiPuma.

A Piece of the Sky (Paul Vance-Lee Pockriss) Verdelle Smith
Orch. conducted by Lee Pockriss. Prod. by Marvin Holtzman.

I Don't Want To Hear It Anymore (Randy Newman) Walker Brothers
(No credits.)

Mr. Heartbreak (Cleveland-B.English) Cathy Saint
Arranged by Teacho Wiltshire.

He's Looking This Way (Giant-Baum-Kaye) Joanne Engel
A Giant-Baum Production.

Life Is But Nothing (Andrew Rose-David Skinner) Del Shannon
Produced by Andrew "Loog" Oldham
hereiam

non bacharach - bacharach

Post by hereiam »

Good topic (in fact this was discussed nearly a year ago).

Just to be brief this time, i
must say almost all of Thom Bell
melodies (particularly his earlier
ones written for The Stylistics)
had such heavy bacharachish feel.
No wonder, Thom had said in an
interview that BB was the one who
had influenced him tremendously
in his early songwriting years
Martyn

Non-Bacharach Bacharach

Post by Martyn »

Yes, I remember this topic coming up previously.

I know I've mentioned this before but a couple of tracks from Scottish group The Pearlfishers' album: 'Across the Milky Way' sound as if they were ghostwritten by Burt - though they weren't. Pearlfishers' songwriter David Scott mentions Burt as a big influence (having heard the 'Portrait in Music' compilation as a youngster) along with the Beatles and Brian Wilson. The track 'The Vampires of Camelon' with its flugelhorn sounds like an instrumental Burt left off one of his A&M albums - it's great. 'Is it Any Wonder' has those soaring trumpet sounds reminiscent of Burt's music.

Dave Grusin's instrumental 'Mitch and Abby' from the soundtrack to the early 90s movie 'The Firm' sounds very Bacharach.

And I often thought that 'Last Night I Didn't Get to Sleep At All' should have been written by Burt, even though it wasn't. Anyone know who wrote it?
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

I Didn't Get To Sleep At All" written by Tony Macaulay. Let me add "Love's Lines, Angles And Rhymes" by Dorthea Joyce recorded by the Fifth Dimension (Marilyn McCoo lead vocals on both)
popshott

Perhaps some Barry Gibb...

Post by popshott »

I think some Barry Gibb and Bee Gee's in the mid-70's is strongly Bacharach-flavored.

Especially a song like "Guilty", a hit for Barbra Streisand and Barry Gibb. This song has the meter shifts and unusual chordal leaps that BB is famous for.

I always thought that the song "After The Love Is Gone" by Earth, Wind and Fire was Bacharach-flavored.

:idea: Maybe some tunes by Paul Davis and Rupert Holmes?

DAVE[/b]
igtmfo

reply, near-BB

Post by igtmfo »

Super topic. I haven't heard the above CD of but I'm drooling like Wylie Coyote over Roadrunner to buy it ...

Thom Bell: should be a national hero but fell out. He is kind of associated after Delfonics and Stylistics with the Spinners, but since "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love" was not his song, he kind of lost momentum. The only interview on the Web I can find with him was not talking about the beautiful tunes he wrote but grievances that he was seated at the back of the Grammys ceremony in 1973 or something. Sigh, if he had written maybe ONE more classic or semi-classic he would be a household name. "Sideshow" by Circus (? not by Thom) is a near-Burt or better still, near-Thom.

Charlie Rich. My all-time, completely obscure, quit-your-job-and-hit-replay-1000-times-while-drinking-a-case-a-day song is: "A Part of Your Life," his first Epic single, with Billy Sherrill producing. It's unquestionably the best Charlie Rich tune (music and lyrics), with big arrangement, fine CR piano playing. It's all the best Charlie Rich ballads in one, with passion, surprise, playing with time ... best to say he maybe even deconstructed this song for several of his later hits. Boys, even Burt would be pale after hearing this one. Not available on any CD, US CD that I have found, I think I mite have seen it on a deep-Amazon.com foreign cassette still available. (Some kind of copyright issue, that it never has appeared on compiiations, or even his box set ....?) I had to buy it on 45 off ebay after I heard it years ago on one of those pirated cassettes you could only buy at a filling station. Anyway, enuf said, enjoy if you can find ... pure beauty.

(after posting this ... I caught the R Holmes recommendation out the corner of my eye don't get me started ... of course "The People You Never Get to Love" from "Partners in Crime", but remember he had about 5 LPs before ... "Guitars" and "Breathless" songs are worth shelling out for "The Pursuit of Happiness" LP if you can find ...)
BachToBacharach

Non Burt Burt

Post by BachToBacharach »

Sam-someone mentioned in the post-the first time I heard the ONJ tune I thought it was BB and that Dionne should be doing it :!: .

Speaking of Dionne-from Then Came You album the tune Who Knows sounds like vintage Bacharach to these untrained ears and Getting In My Way also has a Bacharach feel.

"The Windmills of Your Mind" the 1969 Oscar-winning song by Michel
Legrand and Alan & Marilyn Bergman from the movie The Thomas Crown Affair for some strange reason sounds like Bacharach to me. Maybe some of you music majors out there can give it a listen and explain it to me-or maybe it's just me. :?:

Anyone out there agree that Dionne gave a BB feel to many of the tunes she did by others (especially in the 1980's)? I am thinking about a tune like Love Doesn't Live Here Anymore and the like.
AndrewB

Burt-a-likes

Post by AndrewB »

Some early Divine Comedy tracks are very BB influenced. The closing track on the 'Casenova' cd is crying out Burt!
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Bach to Bacharach: our perceptions are very similar. When I mentioned ONJ's "Sam" - I recalled hearing it the very first time and wondering why Dionne didn't record that BB song. Agree with your take on the Jerry Ragovoy composition "Getting In My Way" and might include two more that he did for Dionne - "Move Me No Mountain" and "It's Magic". A couple of other non BB's recorded by DW are "Can't Hide Love" and "Close Enough". Many of Dusty Springfield's non Bacharach recordings had a similar feeling.