Message From Dionne

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

warbachavid

Message From Dionne

Post by warbachavid »

hi all

its been pretty hectic these past weeks. unfortunately, my mom has not been in the best of health, but thank god, she is on the mend as i write this.

some good stuff has been happening, and i guess you all know about the concerts in germany with whitney houston, and natalie cole. this should be wonderful, and i am looking forward to it.

as well, i will be receiving an award on the 6th of june in hamburg germany from president gorbachev.

an award called "the men of the world" was formed 6 years ago recognizing 10 men who were chosen by a committee for their contributions to mankind, well, they finally figured out that there are a few women who have done this kind of thing too, so they have formed "the women of the world", and i am thrilled to have been chosen as one of the women to receive this recognition.

there may be a christmas cd on the horizon. (nobody can believe that i have never done a christmas recording), and the duet cd is still very much alive. i promise this duets project will be finished and out by valentines day next year.

david, my eldest son decided to go back to school for his degree and damon has been busy doing music for films. he just completed "first daughter" with forest whitaker, and is working on "fat albert" (working title) with bill cosby, so this is keeping a big smile on my face as you can imagine.

i think that's it for now, if anything else comes up, you will all be kept up to speed.

take good care, and i'll be back at you soon

Dionne
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Dionne never takes credit for participating in some compilation Christmas albums as well as her 1994 recording with Placido Domingo entitled "Celebration In Vienna" which along with the video of that performance is amongst our holiday favorites. Included on that CD is a solo performance of "O Holy Night" a duet with Placido of "Ave Maria" and "Silent Night" as well as an exceptional medley of Christmas favorites including: "Mary's Boy Child", "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"," The Christmas Song" and "Feliz Navidad". Also included on this great CD are exceptional live performances by Dionne of "What The World Needs Now" and "As Time Goes By". Also two additional non-Christmas duets with Placido Domingo "Smile" and my favorite version of "Over The Rainbow". I'm puzzled as to why this CD is never identified in any Dionne Warwick discographies! (all of these great performances are captured on the video as well - it's probably out of print but worth searching the "used bins" for copies of the CD and VHS). It was released on the Sony Classical label.

Also the Vatican Christmas DVD contains some great DW performances. I do hope the new Christmas project materializes and I'm keeping my fingers crossed regarding release of the duets project by Valentines Day 2005!

Wishing Mom "Lee Warrick" a speedy return to "good health"!!!
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

Dionne also recorded studio versions of several Christmas songs for various Christmas charity albums, including O Holy Night, It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas, It Came Upon A Midnight Clear, Winter Wonderland, Silver Bells and White Christmas.
Also in 1986 she started recording a Christmas album at Arista, but it was never finished.