Dionne Upcoming Dates

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

warbachavid

Dionne Upcoming Dates

Post by warbachavid »

June 6 Recieve Award/Performance,Germany
June 7 Studio 54 "We Are Family" Benefit, (special performance by Dionne Warwick),New York City.
July 2 Berlin, Germany Brandenburg Gate
July 7 Hamburg, Germany Arena
July 9 Gelsenkirchen, Germany Schalke Arena
July 11 Munich, Germany Olympic Stadium
July 26 Finca de Conception Marbella, Spain
July 29 Eastleigh Festival Eastleigh, UK
July 30 FairField Hall Croydon, UK
Aug. 12 The Helix Dublin, Ireland
Aug. 14 Assembly Hall Theatre Kent, UK
Aug. 15 Stowe Music Festival Buckingham, UK
Sept. 4 Laurens Kerk Rotterdam, Holland
Sept. 5 De Doelen Rotterdam, Holland
Sept. 18 Celebrity Theatre Morristown, NJ
Oct. 23 Four Seasons Hotel Chicago, IL
Oct. 24 Palace Theater Albany, NY
Oct. 27 John Labatt Centre London Ontario, Canada
Nov. 26 Copley Symphony Hall San Diego, CA
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

8) Bonjour Warbachavid;

Thanks!

I will be going to the September 18, 2004 concert in Morristown New Jersey. It's Probably the same place that I saw Burt in 2002. Will you be attending?

Take care mom ami.

Vincent
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

Damon Elliott
Destiny's Child, Pink, Mya Join Damon Elliott's Dionne Warwick Duet Project

Dionne Warwick
Photo: Arista
"I credit her with everything. She had me in the studio with Quincy Jones ... Burt Bacharach and Clive Davis." — Damon Elliott

No matter how much fun you're having, how busy you are or how important your job is, family should always come first. That's why hotshot producer and songwriter Damon Elliott is taking time between working with Mya, Beyoncé and Solange Knowles and Jessica Simpson to put together a tribute box set with his mother, soulful '60s pop singer Dionne Warwick.

"I'm a mamma's boy," proclaimed Elliott. "She's the one that wiped my a-- when I messed up and the first to congratulate me when I have had success."

Elliott hopes for a September 2003 release for the three-volume set, which will feature 40 of Warwick's songs performed by her and a cavalcade of stars, including Mya (see "Mya Gets Real With Missy, Timbaland And Damon Elliott"), Destiny's Child, Faith Evans, Pink, Elton John and Gladys Knight.

The box will celebrate Warwick's 40 years in the business and was partially inspired by a similar duet album released by Frank Sinatra that included U2's Bono, Neil Diamond, Willie Nelson, Luther Vandross, Aretha Franklin and others.

"That Sinatra record was crazy," Elliott said. "So I want to do something like that. My mom is a living legend, so I said, 'Mom, let's go. I'm in the position where I can get any artist. Let me make a couple of phone calls and let's make this happen.' "

So far, Elliott has locked in Knight for "I Never Felt This Way," Mya for "Close to You," and new artist Keisha Cole for "I'll Never Love This Way Again." The other acts are still deciding on their tracks and Elliott is still looking for others to contribute.

Regardless of how successful the set winds up being, for Elliott it's a labor of love and a way to give back to the woman who inspired him to reach the heights he's scaled.

"I credit her with everything," he said. "She had me in the studio with Quincy Jones when I was a kid. She had me in the studio with Burt Bacharach and Clive Davis, all these producers and engineers. Of course, if I wasn't around those influences I probably would be doing the same thing, but probably not on the same level."

—Jon Wiederhorn
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

WARBACHAVID: The above post sounds like it was written two years ago!
Any insight as why this project has been delayed for so long? Last June Dionne anticipated a Christmas 2003 release. Her most recent statement (posted above) envisions a Valentine 2005 release date.

While on the subject of the Sinatra inspired duet project - does anyone know why Dionne did not participate in either of the 2 Sinatra Duet albums? As you may recall - her friends Gladys Knight, Patti LaBelle, Lena Horne, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Luther Vandross and Natalie Cole all were included. This could not have been a scheduling issue since all the duets were recorded individually and remastered into duets! In light of their long standing friendship and mutual admiration - this is puzzling. Does anyone know why??
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

Dionne Warwick to play JLC

Grammy-winning pop singer Dionne Warwick is coming to the RBC Theatre at the John Labatt Centre in the fall. Warwick's career began with the hit Don't Make Me Over in 1962. It was first of almost 60 chart hits for her.

Warwick is travelling with her own band and is adding a 14-piece string section for stops on the tour. Tickets for Warwick's Oct. 27, 8 p.m., concert are $65 and $75, plus applicable service charges. They are available in-person at the centre box office or Ticketmaster outlets (Sunrise Records shops in London). By phone, it's 488-1012 or online at www.ticketmaster.ca
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

Could Luther Be Ready for a Comeback?

Luther Vandross may be thinking of a small comeback, his first singing gig since his terrible stroke more than a year ago. That was the word last night at the sensational fund-raiser for the We Are Family Foundation — created by producer/writer Nile Rodgers and his partner Nancy Hunt. Vandross, if he's ready, may contribute vocals to a new Chic album that Rodgers is assembling for a late fall release.

In the meantime, Rodgers reassembled the original members of Chic for a show at Studio 54 last night, and recreated all the excitement and energy of the pre-AIDS disco movement of the late '70s. I don't know if enough pop music critics give Rodgers enough credit for inventing the one truly seminal disco beat, unlike all the others and groundbreaking enough to make him the dance equivalent of Chuck Berry.

Revelers at the Studio 54 dinner and silent auction not only got to hear Chic perform lushly perfect versions of "Le Freak," "Good Times," "Dance Dance Dance" and "I Want Your Love," but they were also treated to wonderful cameos by R&B disco kings Tavares ("Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel") and Maxine Nightingale ("Right Back Where We Started From"). There was no sampling, no lip synching and nothing artificial.

"Do you remember real music?" shouted out Chic singer Silver Logan Sharpe to the crowd. If they didn't, hearing Dionne Warwick perform "What the World Needs Now is Love" and, with Fonzie Thornton, "Then Came You," should have done the trick. There was some talk in the recent past that Dionne had lost her voice to cigarettes, but last night she showed off her famous unerring pitch and swerving filigrees, launching some lines into the air like perfectly aimed arrows.

The We Are Family Foundation was launched right after Sept. 11 by Rodgers and Hunt with an all-star single and a video designed to raise consciousness and awareness, and, of course, to help educate children. It might very well have fallen apart just as quickly as it came together, but — nearly three years later — it seems like a group determined to grow and spread its word. It looks like they may make it after all.
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

Pics from last night event at www.wireimage.com