Hal David and Dionne Warwick on Songwriters Hall Of Fame

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

warbachavid

Hal David and Dionne Warwick on Songwriters Hall Of Fame

Post by warbachavid »

Burt seems to have been absent.

Arts and Entertainment Editor, TBWT

We lost the great Ray Charles recently. In show business, the show
must go on and at the Songwriters Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony and Awards Gala - history was made. SHOF Chairman & CEO Hal David paid tribute to Charles during his opening address. David informed us about the power of a song and it’s ability to shape culture, time and space. The 35th Annual Dinner and 2004 Induction Ceremony & Awards was a presentation of the National Academy of Popular Music.

The paparazzi were in full force, stationed right outside of the Marriott Marquis in the middle of Times Square. Fans and well wishers gawked as India.Arie, Daryl Hall & John Oates, Stevie Wonder, Jimmy Jam Michael McDonald, Brian McKnight and Rob Thomas made their way across the Red Carpet. Motown songwriting duo Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong were the night’s first inductees. They created hits for legendary artists Marvin Gaye, the Temptations, Credence Clearwater Revival and any more. Whitfield later went on to achieve more hits with the group Rose Royce. He was not ashamed to say that he started out at "Hitsville" making $35 dollars a week. Michael McDonald wowed us all with "I Heard It Through The Grapevine." Look for him on tour with Hall & Oats this summer.

Al Green was inducted for his contributions to Memphis Soul (via work with producer Willie Mitchell.) Green was unable to attend and Cedric The Entertainer accepted the award on his behalf. Cedric kept us entertained with an impromptu mini rendition of Greens monster hits: "Love & Happiness," "Let’s Stay Together." Macy Gray performed a very bluesy rendition of Green’s song Bell.

From Detroit to Memphis, Philadelphia was the home of the next inductees. Singer Brian McKnight stepped out singing Sarah Smile. Daryl Hall & John Oates completed their Philadelphia magic with "She’s Gone." The songs and performances were so powerful that the Marriott's ballroom felt like heaven.

Nick Jones and Jimmy Jam were next.

Cedric kept things rolling with a few quips like "If you’re not going to vote for Bush, give Al Sharpton a try. He immediately followed up with an impersonation of a lounge singer performing a medley of television theme songs (thank you very much) The Love Boat, Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, and Love, American Style. These songs were the handiwork of 2004 inductee Charles Fox. Now the name Charles Fox may not immediately ring a bell, but this New York native has composed the most recognizable music on American film, television and
record. "Killing Me Softly" was a Grammy Award winning hit for Roberta Flack.In addition to Ms. Flack, Lauryn Hill, The Fugees, Luther Vandross, Sarah Vaughan, Tito Puente, Sergio Mendes and Carly Simon have recorded Fox’s masterpieces. Over his stellar career Fox has collaborated with Paul Williams, Sammy Cahn, Carol Bayer Sager and others. Over 100 motion pictures and television films have musical scores composed by Charles Fox. A fabulous looking Roberta
Flack ( she lost 56 pounds) sat down at the keyboard to give us a 2004 rendition of "Killing Me Softly." We basked in an anticipated excitement at the height of these performances. If we could only beg for more... Charles Fox mentioned how he received a phone call from Roberta Flack saying "Hi, this is Roberta Flack, we haven’t met buy I’m going to sing your songs."

Garth Brooks is amazing. He sang "Starry Starry Night." Wearing that big black trademark hat of his, Garth got Don McLean, another New York inductee to the stage. Garth called McLean a great songwriter and a great friend. The room got into sing along mode on "Bye Bye Miss American Pie."

Regis Philbin introduced us to Neil Sedaka for the Sammy Cahn Lifetime
Achievement Award. A product of the Brighton Beach neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York, A teenaged Sedaka, along with his partner Howard Greenfield gave us Where The Boys Are (Connie Francis) and a short lived case of unhappiness to his mother. After all, he was to become a concert pianist. A couple of hits later Sedaka purchased a mink stole for his mom. "Turn on the radio, my boy Neil is on the radio she would say." Sedaka (which means Charity and righteousness in Hebrew) dreamed of hearing himself on the radio. We were treated to
Neil singing his hit "Laughter In The Rain." We remember Neil for "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do," LaVern Baker and "Love Will Keep Us Together."

Rocker Rob Thomas gave a spirited version of "Livin’ For The City." Sporting sunglasses on stage, funny man Bill Cosby introduced the legendary Stevie Wonder for receiving the Johnny Mercer Award. Stevie started out by saying how he’s been blessed. That the songwriters have been blessed and that we can change the world with our songs. We can give vision to those who cannot see.
John Lennon changed the world when he sang "Give peace a chance." "Sing about this melody that never ends in my spirit. In paying tribute to the passing of Ray Charles; "Ray Charles is a man who changed the world with his songs; ‘I Can’’t Stop Loving You’ and ‘Georgia On My Mind.’"

Stevie gave thanks to God and his family - and to the fantastic singers and musicians on tonight’s program. Look out for Stevie's new release "A Time To Love" coming soon. Watch the telecast of the 2004 Songwriters Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony And Awards
Presentation Sunday July 18th on the Bravo Network. You will see fine
performances by Stevie Wonder and India.Arie, Dionne Warwick and much more. I highly recommend that you tape this gem of a program.

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 22 June 2004 )