Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

pljms

Re: Put Your Youtube.com Links Here! (if you want)

Post by pljms »

The Carpenters' 'Christmas Song' ("Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire") inspired version of 'Santa Claus is Comin' to Town' was featured on UK TV the other night as part of a repeat of Perry Como's 1974 Christmas special. It's beautiful and stunning at the same time and should have been a much bigger hit than it was. Some Bacharach influences in the brass arrangement:

Paul
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Burt joins the cast: Terrific!! Enjoy!

Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Cool.
I wish I could have seen this, since it`s so obviously a work of love and respect.
As it happens, I`m a pauper and the ticket price exceeded my budget.
Nevertheless, I was just back in the City and saw the Dutch Masters installation at the Frick including Vermeer`s Girl With a Pearl Earring.
This was some compensation, despite the lousy weather and the two hours I spent on the tarmac thanks to the rain and fog at Kennedy this morning on my return flight to exile.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Here's a little impromtu gig the cast of that great show performed "outside" the theater.

"blue"
An Enormous BB Fan

Blair N. Cummings wrote:Cool.
I wish I could have seen this, since it`s so obviously a work of love and respect.
As it happens, I`m a pauper and the ticket price exceeded my budget.
Nevertheless, I was just back in the City and saw the Dutch Masters installation at the Frick including Vermeer`s Girl With a Pearl Earring.
This was some compensation, despite the lousy weather and the two hours I spent on the tarmac thanks to the rain and fog at Kennedy this morning on my return flight to exile.
Funny you should mention this: Did you happen to see Fabritius's "The Goldfinch?" I ask because I just last night finished reading Donna Tartt's brilliant novel entitled "The Goldfinch." It's truly a work of genius and I recommend that book to anyone. I was thinking of going to the Frick to see it. I understand, however, that there are long lines there now due to the popularity of the novel.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Enormous, I had a pre-paid ticket so was able to go right in. For the un-ticketed hopeful, there were lines up Fifth and back along 70th. This particular exhibit closes very soon, so get there very early if you want to get in.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

I wish they'd hurry up and release Burt's old TV Specials on DVD !
I'm getting freakin' withdrawal symptoms ! lol

A very frustrated "blue" !!!
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Thanks Blue for posting what's probably the highlight of BB's 'Lost Horizon' TV special, that and the rehearsal and chat that preceded it. Sadly, I can't see the TV specials ever getting an official DVD release so try going on the IOffer site and looking out for any pirate DVD copies, if you haven't done already.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Martin,
Thank you for the info.

"blue"
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Weird and Wonderful !!!

"blue"
An Enormous BB Fan

blueonblue wrote:Weird and Wonderful !!!

"blue"
Love it! (Notice in the credits: Music by Burt Bacharach, Lyrics by David. Hal never got/gets the credit he deserved, if you ask me. I mean, they even wait to give him the Gershwin prize when he can't even make it due to being on his deathbed.)
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

A version by Kelly Garrett of a beloved B&D song that I've not heard before and which sounds like it was recorded around the time the song first became known. We await probably the two best versions of this tricky song by Sue Raney and Gordon MacRae appearing on YouTube:

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Paddy McAloon of Prefab Sprout.....the British Jimmy Webb.

"blue"
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Dear blueonblue, a truly gifted artist, Paddy McAloon of Prefab Sprout ("Steve McQueen", whew!!). Here, with influences from Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound", one of their best, "A Prisoner of the Past":

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

grooverider, thanks for that great song, I love the "Spector Sound" !

Here's Paddy's homage to Jimmy Webb.....

"blue"