From Inside the Hits Website

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

BachToBacharach

From Inside the Hits Website

Post by BachToBacharach »

Chapter In Book:
Part 01 - ROCK’S FIRST DECADE and WHAT MADE IT ALL POSSIBLE
Part 01, Chapter 09 Rock Production Meets the Classics - and Triumphs

Artist: Dionne Warwick
Song Title: Walk On By
Released 1964

Music By: Burt Bacharach
Lyrics By: Burt Bacharach
Produced By: Burt Bacharach and Hal David

Tempo: 100 bpm
Key: A minor, F

Label: Rhino
From The Album: “The Dionne Warwick Collection: Her All-Time Greatest Hitsâ€￾
CD#: R2 71100

Dionne Warwick says of the trio’s working methods: “I never give them any help during the actual writing of a song. They often say, and it’s true, that I change melodies many times, mostly by a note - an E or a C to a G. And if I ever feel that a lyric isn’t quite right, I tell Hal, and he changes it. Hal has changed whole verses for me because they weren’t comfortable [technically, or emotionally]. We all work together during the recording of a song. But Hal is the lyricist, Burt the composer and arranger, and I am the interpreter . . . [Concerning the trend toward singer-songwriter-hood in the early 1970’s,] “Most writers feel they are the best people to express their own feelings. We seem to be in a rather cultish time with the mushrooming of singer-songwriters, whether male or female. Some are good, a lot not that good, but I don’t feel left out because I don’t write my own songs. Carole King has a great many feelings we all share, and she expresses them very well. I’ve thought that since she was writing for the Shirelles.â€￾

Interesting comments!