RE: VCR ALERT, PBS-A MUSICAL PROGRAMS ABOUT SONGS OF 60s&

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

DARIO DARII

RE: VCR ALERT, PBS-A MUSICAL PROGRAMS ABOUT SONGS OF 60s&

Post by DARIO DARII »

(Check Your Local PBS Listings)

A musical special is on PBS again, at least in my neck of the woods, this time will happen this coming Saturday. About the timelessness of the songs that covered the select period of the time.

Scheduled to perform, inter-alia, Tony Orlando and Dawns (Tie, a Yellow Ribbon), LA DIVA WARWICKANA.. I'll Never Fall In Love Again, and I Know I'll Never Fall in Love Again. The TV Guide has this written for their promo...Straight from the Heart : Timeless Music of the 60s and the 70s A Cavalcade of singers sing their hits of yesteryears. Host Tony Orlando is joined by Dawns for the bouncy hits of Tie..Oak tree, Dw sings the pessimistic INFILA, & IKINLTWA, the 5th Dimensions for the bouyant Up Up and Away, the Associations for harmonizes for the Never My Love, B.J Thomas, Debbie Boone , Peaches and Herbs and Lou Rawls, End of TV Guide Promo.

I hope that BJ is doing Raindrops...and Debbie You Light Up My Life and Lou , Youll Never Find, Theme from Willy Wonka, or Lady Love. Debbie is a ONE hit wonder girl, while the two guys have a catalog of hits unto themselves.

Addendum: Sometime ago, a poster made known that a double CD issued in Australia released an-all-Jimmy Webb song selections by various Artists. The same label that issued our own Burt Bacharach, mostly OBSCURE songs. Now comes a SOLO artist is doing another take on Jimmy Webb. ( I still remember when Burt Bacharach was interviewing Richard Harris (a JW protege) on one of his special. Harris was about to do the song from Lost Horizon.the ballad "If I Could Go Back" --mentioned Jim Webb and their collaborations on Songbooks. Dionne has BB-HD, while Sammy Davis has Leslie Bricusse.

This solo artist NOW doing his turn is Michael Feinstein ( with Jim W himself produced and playing keyboards on most of the tracks.)

Some songs Din't We, All I Know, Up Up and away, Belmont Avenue (watch out for the do-wop touch!)

Aside from Harris, Feinstein, other artists who covered JW are Linda Rondstadt Art Garfunkel, and Glenn Campbell.

In one interview, when asked who JWebb consider as the greatest comtemporary songwriters, he mentioned the names of Harry Nilsson and Warren Zevon.

And guess what, who will be the next writer will Feinstein list are in the offing. (MFeinstein is really following the roadside made byElla Fitzgerald by way of songbooks!)

Joni Mitchell, Billy Joel, and "I Guess its Gonna Rain Today, Randy Newman "Toy Story")

Hi Michael, how about our Maestro and idol, A Bacharach David songbook wont be that bad? How about it.

Bye, bye, to the loo---double D