Golden Rule lyrics

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

andjesdav

Golden Rule lyrics

Post by andjesdav »

I really like the song 'Alfie', but I'm not quite sure what the lyrics '...what would you lend on an old golden rule' mean? Any insight is appreciated.
Blair N. Cummings

"...golden rule" lyrics

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Preceded by the line: And if life belongs only to the strong... it suggests that the powerful have no need of reciprocity from the weak and powerless. Or so I`ve always read it.

Post by Guest »

to me, it implies biblical...maybe the meek shall inherit the earth , or any other number of possibilities
schencksdb

golden rule lyric

Post by schencksdb »

As I've heard it and understood it, the "golden rule" is: do unto others as you would have them do unto you. So, with the previous line being, "And if life belongs only to the strong, Alfie..." the golden rule line seems to say, why bother doing right by others? A perfect fit for the song! Steve

Post by Guest »

I don't even get "what would you lend." Other than "what kind of money would you let someone borrow from you," I just have no clear idea as to what this means.
schencksdb

what will you lend...

Post by schencksdb »

I think the sense of that line is, "Would you count on this? Would you put your money on this? Would you bet on this?" etc.
Elizabeth

Golden rule lyrics

Post by Elizabeth »

I associate the song very much with the movie "Alfie", whose title character is a heartless cad who bulldozes over others' feelings. I hear the singer asking Alfie if, as he seems to believe, life belongs only to strong people like him ('strong' meaning 'not given to sappy emotionality' - a plus for Alfie, a big minus for the singer), then what does he make of, or what can he contribute to the golden rule ("do unto others")? The singer answers the question for him, that only when we learn to love others do we really live fully.

I think this is one of the most original and beautiful pieces of music Bacharach has written - and that's saying a lot. But I always particularly associate it with Hal David. I can't speak for him, of course, but I always feel as though I hear his voice very clearly in this song, especially in the "As sure as I believe..." line.

Elizabeth
Jakestanton

Re: Golden Rule lyrics

Post by Jakestanton »

The word lend has several meanings. Given the context it appears to me to mean ‘add’. So if life is only for the strong Alfie, what would you add to the old tried and true golden rule (biblical/heaven sent) to make ‘life is only for the strong’ a true statement? Then he goes on to give his opinion…I know there is a heaven…implying this golden rule is from above.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Slightly off topic...the "golden rule" line also crops up in another Bacharach / David song 'You'll Never Get To Heaven'
"mother told me always to follow the golden rule...and she said it's really a sin to be mean and cruel"

Hal certainly had a thing about "the golden rule".

'blue'
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

"blue"

..... Nice to see you're still posting! ... Based upon all that I've heard about Hal David - I believe he was pretty much a "Golden Rule" kind of guy!

Ron
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

ron hertel wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:58 am "blue"

..... Nice to see you're still posting! ... Based upon all that I've heard about Hal David - I believe he was pretty much a "Golden Rule" kind of guy!

Ron
Ron,
Great to hear from you...it's been a while. :D

'blue'
jimcos

Post by jimcos »

Jakestanton wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:05 pm The word lend has several meanings. Given the context it appears to me to mean ‘add’. So if life is only for the strong Alfie, what would you add to the old tried and true golden rule (biblical/heaven sent) to make ‘life is only for the strong’ a true statement? Then he goes on to give his opinion…I know there is a heaven…implying this golden rule is from above.
I absolutely share your opinion. Very good and logical explanation.
I've recently found out that I'm best suited for Aries, by the way, I'm a Leo. The Leo compatibility chart says a lot about our relationship, so I and my girlfriend can get along with each other :wink: