Joe Kloess

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Dionnefan

Joe Kloess

Post by Dionnefan »

I believe Joe Kloess was Dionne's pianist and band leader from at least 1980 through much of the 1990's. How does everyone feel he was at interpreting Burt's arrangements?
ron hertel

Re: Joe Kloess

Post by ron hertel »

Both Joe Kloess and his predecessor Joe Mele did an excellent job (not necessarily Burt's arrangements - but their own) Current conductor Kathy Rubbico brings a fresh level of enthusiasm to Dionne's concerts! All 3 of them worked for a long time with Dionne who is a truly knowledgeable musical professional. Same holds true with her backing musicians who work with Burt in concert as well!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

On her first 2 conductors....only heard Joe Mele...Havent heard Rubbico...but have been hearing good reports...I guess Burt's orchestrations in the hands of others...not so good, that is my opinion from the earlier era.....but then, that's a lot to live up to, isn't it???!!!

Steveo
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I have heard all three of them, and they are all obviously very professional piano players. But their playing does not compare to Burt's playing. Burt's fills, slides, harmonies and countermelodies in his accompaniment are like no other, IMHO. My ear for Burt's playing must be good, too, because I was listening to a Christmas song that Carly Simon was singing and I said to myself, "My god! That piano player sounds just like Burt." When I went to Tower Records and looked at the CD, lo and behold!... It was Burt who was the piano player!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

I think your ear is a lot better than mine..thats pretty amazing...
I agree with all you said in your last post.

Steveo
An Enormous BB Fan

You wanna hear something funny? I came across a very old newspaper ad (at a showbiz blog site) for an appearance at a nightclub by the comedian Pete Barbutti. And appearing on the bill with Barbutti was the "Joe Kloess Trio". So I went to google and searched Joe Kloess and, lo and behold, this discussion thread came up! Google is just phenomenal. Anyhow, I thought that I'd let you all see the kind of work Joe Kloess was doing way back in the day (in case some of you enjoy this kind of thing -- which I do).
Attachments
Joe Kloess Trio.png
Joe Kloess Trio.png (124.01 KiB) Viewed 10194 times
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Ty for posting that! I met Pete in the late 60's on Vine St. near the TAV
video center(the Steve Allen Show was taping there) I think he was appearing on it and was in proximity to it. A very nice man, low keyed...
From my web research, it appears this club, the Red Fox - may have been located in Spokane, Wa.
Steveo
An Enormous BB Fan

steveo_1965 wrote:Ty for posting that! I met Pete in the late 60's on Vine St. near the TAV
video center(the Steve Allen Show was taping there) I think he was appearing on it and was in proximity to it. A very nice man, low keyed...
From my web research, it appears this club, the Red Fox - may have been located in Spokane, Wa.
Steveo
Interesting, Steveo. You (and many others here) may enjoy this site where old show biz is the topic and where great interviews take place: http://www.oldshowbiz.blogspot.com
An Enormous BB Fan

An Enormous BB Fan wrote:
steveo_1965 wrote:Ty for posting that! I met Pete in the late 60's on Vine St. near the TAV
Steveo
Interesting, Steveo. You (and many others here) may enjoy this site where old show biz is the topic and where great interviews take place: http://www.classicshowbiz.blogspot.com
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Enormous,
yes, Ive been on that blog before, reading about the "near great" or almost a star
Mickie Marlo. very cool blog....thanks for reminding me about it.
Ty,
Steveo
Piergiorgio

Post by Piergiorgio »

Hello! Mr. Kloess started working with Dionne Warwick in 1979 as her pianist and conductor, until at least 2001 or 2002. He then occasionally worked with ms. Warwick after that, but starting from 2003 her new music director was Kathy Rubicco.