Celebrity Apprentice (with Dionne)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

Celebrity Apprentice (with Dionne)

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

It begins on March 6th.

I think this one will be a real doozy!

As you know, much (if not all) of it has been filmed. Here's a synopsis of one of the episodes written by a blogger I came across:

From: http://wendyista.blogspot.com/2011/02/s ... -nene.html

"The televised catfight between Star Jones and NeNe Leakes won't officially begin until the new season of 'Celebrity Apprentice' premieres March 6, but insiders have already told me that it gets so ugly that Star had to hire her own security detail. "NeNe is coming unhinged," a source close to Star tells me, adding that during taping the Atlanta 'Housewife' made La Toya Jackson cry and even got in the face of singing legend Dionne Warwick. But it's her beef with Star that is particularly nasty, my source reveals. "Clearly, she can't get along with women, especially other black women. She is losing it." (If you're taking notes, the women in the cast include Hope Dworaczyk, La Toya, Star, NeNe, Marlee Matlin, Lisa Rinna, Niki Taylor and Dionne.) For her part, NeNe isn't waiting for the show to begin to make known her hatred for Star. During a visit to 'The Wendy Williams Show,' she tried her best to hold her tongue with limited success. "I'm not feeling Star Jones, I'm sorry. I gave her a chance when I first got there, I did," she told Wendy, later adding, "I wouldn't spit on Star if she was on fire." Of course, the feeling is mutual, but a friend of Star's tells me the former 'View' co-host will rise above the negative. That said, she feels that NeNe could be a physical threat to her, so she has hired her own private security guards. "Star is a real celebrity, not some cheap reality star who is enjoying 15 minute of fame," the friend says. "She's a lawyer and a lady. NeNe can say what she wants about Star, but she doesn't care now that she knows she's safe." All this upcoming drama isn't lost on NBC or 'Apprentice' honcho Donald Trump, who couldn't be more excited. "This is the most dramatic season of 'The Apprentice' ever. It might just be the best TV catfight of all time," a show source tells me. "Donald Trump loved it. He's no fool. He knows that this sort of drama is TV gold." I can't wait!"

=================================================================
Hold on to your seats, people. This will be a bumpy ride!
GehVorbei

Re: Celebrity Apprentice (with Dionne)

Post by GehVorbei »

Interesting piece on "Movieline" about Dionne and the first show:

"Dionne Watch: Movieline Salutes Ms. Warwick’s Journey on Celebrity Apprentice

It’s unnerving that Dionne Warwick, perhaps the most impressive and compelling female vocalist in pop history, is a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice. Worse, it might be a classy step up for the woman associated with Psychic Friends and not-so-psyched feds. We at Movieline hope Celebrity Apprentice is Ms. Warwick’s springboard back to prominence, and we plan to rally here every Tuesday until Trump fires her in a pointy blaze. Join me and Stu VanAirsdale for some loving Dionne recon and our pick for “Warwick Song of the Week.”

Louis: Dionne was stealthy in last night’s premiere, which was the right move, I felt.

Stu: “Stealthy” is one word for it. “Doddering,” “throaty” come to mind. And sure, sandbagging a little bit.

Louis: Uh, compared to Tila Tequila’s great-grandmother Latoya Jackson? And synonyms Lisa Rinna and Mark McGrath? She was the most alive person there.

Stu: Really, my entire night was made when Star Jones put her in charge of the money. Dionne’s career-long strong suit — hence her appearance on CA at age 70. “Yes, Dionne, you handle accounts receivable.”

Louis: “No, Dionne, you can’t evade this task.”

Stu: Trump’s like, “You made $140,000, ladies! Dionne, cough it up.”

Louis: And Dionne threw down the keys to an Encino bungalow. You know the others are going to trap her into getting fired sooner or later. Rinna’s impatience will be her death knell.

Stu: See, you have an analytical advantage over me because of your viewership history. I really can only gauge my hero on a week-to-week basis. “Credit card transaction? Check. Barks at Star Jones? Check.”

Louis: No, no, your novice status will help you here. You can better judge how her airy melodic sense will help her topple a hoarse growler like John Rich.

Stu: Whew, that’s a relief. Honestly I am praying for a Lil Jon/Dionne final followed by a collaboration album and joint world tour. The Windizzows of the World, by Lil DiJon

Louis: Let’s imagine Dionne trilling a light-and-poppy “To the window! To the wall! Sweat drip down my balls! All these bitches crawl! Ah-skee-skee-Hal David.”

Stu: I think that has at least as much commercial viability as half the “Heartbreaker” record.

Louis: And hell, Mark McGrath is basically Barry Gibb, at this point.

Stu: And David Cassidy is Albhy Galuten.

Louis: Man, everyone on Celebrity Apprentice is like a wax rendering of an old Dionne Warwick acquaintance. Niki Taylor as wax Jackie DeShannon.

Stu: Gary Busey is probably the third husband from The Godfather who allegedly murdered those guys.

Louis: He’s also Burt Bachawax, but right. OK, predictions for next week? What will Star force Dionne to do next?

Stu: Judging by the pretty princess ballcap from last night’s preview, maybe play first base on the CA softball team? Or batgirl, I can’t decide. She’s going to learn all the sign-language curse words by the time she’s done, I know that much.

Louis:
As will we. Yikes. Saying a little prayer, indeed.

DIONNE SONG OF THE WEEK: “I Just Don’t Know What to Do With Myself”
(Did you see her operate that cash register? OK, then.)"
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

All jokes aside folks, it's really sad that it's come to this.
An Enormous BB Fan

Before I pass judgment, I need to know the following: Will being on Celebrity Apprentice bring Dionne more bookings? Will it bring more people to see her in concert? Will it bring her a big jump in earnings this year and next? If the answer is "yes", then maybe putting yourself in such a situation will be worth it. Yes? No? It's like selling your soul to the devil, though, isn't it? I mean, at best, it's such a sleazy show and very demeaning. For someone like David Cassidy, who cares? But if Dionne had gotten treated like that only to be humiliated in public by the likes of Donald Trump (yeech!) and have to slink off the show, it would make me cry.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Agreed...
Last edited by Jerry on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maestrofan

Post by maestrofan »

Jerry wrote:All jokes aside folks, it's really sad that it's come to this.
This may be one notch above "The Psychic Friends Network"; however, her participation with this "D List" cast is beneath where she should be at this point in her illustrious career. She's stated for years that she aspires to adding a "Tony Award", an "Emmy" and an "Oscar" to her 5 "Grammy Awards" Not gonna happen Ms. Warwick - Inept cashiering at a "Broadway Pizza Joint" does not warrant a "Tony Award" and "Celebrity Apprentice" will not even be nominated for an "Emmy"! I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping that the remaining segments are not too demeaning. ALSO hoping that the new CD being released next week is an artistic and commercial success for Dionne. I'm a fan so I'll keep on watching and hoping for the best!
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

So shall we all, maestrofan...
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

I think Dionne Warwick just simply wants to have a bit of fun! She has toured for the past 50 years, often at quite a gruelling pace and maybe both the Psychic Friends Network and now Celebrity Apprentice provides her with a chance to do something different. She was very successful presenting the Solid Gold? programmes late 70's early 80s. She has quite a strong business brain and I can see the Apprentice programmes being of interest to her .. likewise the psychic thing because 10 years ago she expressed an interest in it. And why not? It's a lonely road being a solo artist at the top and tiring having to keep the tiara polished each night. Good luck to her! I don't see it as being humiliating at all .. she's tough and if it helps to sell more CDs for her all the better.
Dionnefan

Post by Dionnefan »

They made it look like DIonne was dim-witted on the show as she was not able to master the cash register and credit card machine. A poster on the Television Without Pity board that was actually at the pizza joint said Dionne was very nice and gracious and was running the register just fine. I guess that's editing for you!
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

On the bright side, it would be difficult NOT to come off better than Gary Busey or LaToya Jackson.

Potential sales aside, Bacharachians, it's tough to look at this as a positive career move.
Last edited by Jerry on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Yes I agree .. but I just love her! I don't think she is too impressed by the celebrity mix. Not over overcome by it. Who would be with her heritage? I think she's just having fun and this exposure broadens her personality and keeps her in the loop. She's 70 now, with grand children, and survived in an industry that seems to have destroyed most others. God Bless Her. Let her have a bit of downtime for heavens sake. Some of her supporters seem to become her hardest critics. Maybe we are afraid for her? When all is said and done that voice old or young is amazing. In fact I prefer her more recent 'husky' voice .. much more depth and more like Sarah Vaughan! I don't know anyone who comes near the mark. I can't think of anyone who sings so fabulously. For a long time I have said this. Give her a song and she instantly and effortlessly interprets it like no one else can. Burt Bacharach said when he was asked about her Psychic Network stuff ..'well, we all have bills to pay'. So please give the lady a break and rather go out and buy her CD. She needs awards now!!
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Well said, gillanddon! Still wish she hadn't done it, but you make a great call!
An Enormous BB Fan

I don't think any of us here want to see our heros in anything but the best possible light. And this show isn't there to do that. I think that it's our love and admiration for Dionne that is the reason for most of the negative words about her being on that show. And, as you can see, they did edit it to make Dionne look inept at the cash register. They blamed that long line of people on her ineptness.

On another note: I've eaten in that pizza shop literally dozens of times. I used to work one block away. And I'm not joking when I tell you that I've never had a better pizza than right there at Famiglia's. And I have also eaten at the other pizza shop where the men were -- on 8th and Broadway. They have delicious pizza there as well. It's the same owner. So if you ever make it to Manhattan, I highly recommend that you go to Famiglia's on 50th and Broadway. (Radio City Music Hall is just down the street, too -- where Dionne and Burt have performed.)

That very area is Dionne's and Burt and Hal's old stomping grounds. The Brill Building is diagonally across the street. And Scepter Records was only 4 blocks away on 54th Street (between Broadway and 8th). And Caroline's Comedy Club is right next store to the pizza shop as well. I wish I had known when they were there. I could have easily walked there and seen the action.

Getting back to the show: I'll be curious to see how far Dionne gets. (I think the show is totally rigged anyhow, just like I think all those "reality" shows are rigged.)
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Because somebody brought up Aretha:

In her appearance on the Wendy Williams show last week she said that she loves Celebrity Apprentice and that she watches it all the time. She mentioned Dionne, Chaka Khan and Cissy Houston as her best friends in the industry and that she had NeNe Leaks (another CA contestant) as guest to one of her Christmas parties.

And clearly the gastric bypass surgery she had a couple of months ago that caused the rumors about some serious health problems has paid off. As of last Wednesday she had lost 85 lbs. and looked great.

Her new album is coming out in May.
Nikray

Post by Nikray »

I tend to agree with gillanddon, this is not the show I would have personally picked for Dionne to be in, yet at the end of the day is this really that big of a deal? I do think some here suffer from a bit of 'drama' alert. If some had been around during the 70's Burt doing 'cheap wine ads' or 'his commericals in the less than 'respectful' involvement in horseracing it's interesting how Dionne is somehow held to a higher standard than Burt.

And no I don't have a problem Burt's involvement with commericals or horseracing but I am sure there are some fans who do. At the end of the day no big deal!!!