Marvin Hamlisch passed away

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Marcel

Marvin Hamlisch passed away

Post by Marcel »

Marvin Hamlisch past away after a short illness!
very sad it is.

Marvin Hamlisch was a great admirer of Burt.
He was only 68yrs old
GehVorbei

Re: Marvin Hamlisch passed away

Post by GehVorbei »

That's indeed shocking news. RIP!
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

I've shared a personal reminiscence of Hamlisch over at The Second Disc:

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/08/07/in- ... 1944-2012/

Here's a treat: Peabo Bryson and Roberta Flack's "Maybe," written by Carole Bayer Sager with two now-exes: Marvin Hamlisch and Burt Bacharach!

Best,

Joe
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Marcel wrote:Marvin Hamlisch was a great admirer of Burt.
He sure was! In fact, he said that Burt was "the greatest composer of the 20th century." And this is from a guy who knows! He wouldn't get an argument from me!
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Some beautiful compliments from the late great Mr Marvin Hamlisch.....

"blue"
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Mr. Hamlisch's passing makes me grateful, again, to be alive at a time when these greats are making their indelible mark on modern day music. To have heard any of them "live" is truly a joy.
I"m a little confused, though, with "The April Fools". I was just listening to the Hipo Select cd, "The Reel Burt Bacharach" from 1999. The liner notes give credit for the performance to Mr. Hamlisch. The songwriting credit also lists him as co-writer. I always assumed it was a Bacharach/David composition only. The liner notes says, ..."Hamlisch scored the movie utilizing, in part, Bacharach's theme." I looked at the credits to the Percy Faith version and it's credits are to B/D. Hipo Select is usually extremely meticulous in their liner note histories. Did Mr. Hamlisch contribute to the melody?? BTW, a great cd!
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I owned the soundtrack upon release. The title song was Burt and Hal`s composition. Hamlisch scored an instrumental version for background purposes.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

RIP MArvin....his death diminishes me....
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

His loss diminishes us all, just a little bit. Like BB/HD, his music was such an important part of my growing up. RIP.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Marvin Hamlisch did the soulful vocal arranging for Liza Minnelli. Her version of a Bill Withers classic, "Use Me".

Rio

Post by Rio »

What a loss! Very generous of him to say that about Burt, being that he would normally be in the running, so to speak. Maybe it should be uncontroversial, but I think it takes someone that knonwledgeable and comfortable with himself to state it so blodly and candidly and let the chips fall where they may.

May he rest in peace. His music will surely live forever.

And about an earlier question, as far as I know (or seen in all recordings), April Fools is BB/HD. Also, as far as I know though, much of the arrangement for the movie version was written by Marvin. I say "much of the arrangement" because I don't think someone who conceives his music with an arrangement tied to it will usually present it naked to anyone who's going to work with it for the first time. Even if the Marvin were given freedom, my guess is that he would have a hard time disentangling his conception from Burt's.