Listen to Dionne's New Single

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

ron hertel

Re: Listen to Dionne's New Single

Post by ron hertel »

Roberto:

Original version is not bad. Vocal is quite good - very straight forward with no gimmicks. .... Big difference for me between this and Warwick's new single is in Dionne's phrasing and some fairly good background vocals.

Ron
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Roberto this is such a horrible version of this fantastic song. It's absolute proof that a Burt Bacharach/Hal David song needs Dionne Warwick to sing it, to add the required gravitas, or else it sounds like awful wallpaper music.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

gillanddon:

I think what I meant to convey is that this "original version" sounded like a straight forward "demo record" or let's say an early elimination contestant on the X Factor or American Idol. ..... The young lady hit the right notes; however, any appreciable form of style just wasn't there! ........... Dionne's version does display her inimitable style and incomparable phrasing. ... I was pleased to see that she could still hit the mark in terms of capturing some of magic of those early Bacharach/ Warwick classics. ........ In times past - Dionne's soon to be released version of "Is There Anybody Out There?" might have a chance to make it to the Billboard Charts. Still could - but - not as likely. ......... I wish her well and continue to look forward to the new CD!

Ron
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Ron,
Thanks for posting Dionne's version of this brilliant song.....it's a "grower" !
This lady can still cut the mustard !

"blue"
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

"blue"

HELLO to you! .......... You have characterized it perfectly! ......... I'm liking it more and more! ......... Through the years I've found that to be the case with so many BB/DW - and - BB/HD/DW songs - takes a little time to fully appreciate them! ....... I'm beginning to think that Phil Ramone has done a terrific job working with and bringing out the best in Dionne for this project! ........ Even though he did not write the lyrics to "Is There Anybody Out There" - I hope that Hal David was able to hear a few of the cuts (including those that contain his lyrics) on this forthcoming CD "Dionne Warwick NOW"! .......... Hal was one of Dionne's biggest supporters over the past 50 years!

Ron
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Also, with Dionne's great Jimmy Cahn album last year there was a richness in tone and vocal nuances that I only fully discovered when the CD arrived and I heard it through my big Bang&Olufsen stereo. The computer didn't do it justice at all.