Dionne and Johnny Recording Once Again

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bruce Bernard Williams

Dionne and Johnny Recording Once Again

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Just viewed a clip of Johnny Mathis receiving the "Art Guild Lifetime Achievement Award" presented by Pacific Pioneer Broadcasters of which Deneice Williams and Dionne Warwick were in attendance. Dionne took to the podium to honor Mathis and then stated that a project she is working on will include Johnny. He was asked about this and he said he was looking forward to this and that it'll be underway as soon as they get the roadmap. Hoping Burt composes something for this joyous reunion!
gillanddon

Re: Dionne and Johnny Recording Once Again

Post by gillanddon »

Great news .. especially if they can record some of the Bacharach and David hidden treasures along with Phil Ramone.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Now, I'm the one who is skeptical for a change. Sounds more like this will be part of the charity album Dionne's son Damon is involved in. Hope this doesn't turn into "My Friends And Me 2".

Dionne did some very credible live duets as part of the Royal Albert Hall concert last year. But I'm not sure if Johnny isn't out of her range these days.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

I think if Dionne and Johnny would be stunningif produced well. Their voices sit comfortably together. Don't you just love him?! There are so many lesser known but amazing Bacharach and David songs from the early days which wouldn't be too much of a vocal challenge for Dionne ...I think the one's recorded on 'Now' are terrific!! Yes I agree no more re runs of the often recorded popular ones please!!!
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Can almost guarantee this is for the supposed charity project produced by Damon Elliott. This seems to be tied somehow to the charity that Dionne and Damon recently became involved with...I don't know if Damon can sell enough helicopters and liquidate enough assets to produce Mom again or if this charity is going to front the expenses for this supposed recording project. I'll believe this when the product is on the market. As for this charity, I know nothing about it but it certainly is not a very high profile one and I don't find a rating for it on the charitable rating web-sites. I am wondering if this is more Damon Elliott hype like the Sandy benefit which was supposed to be celebrity studded and ended up attracting Natalie Cole and Wilmer Valderrama. Johnny's voice has held up beautifully and I don't know if Dionne can hold her own with Mathis any longer...I just wish Dionne could break free of Damon's influence and his sleaze factor and the cashing in on Mom's name...until that happens, I don't think Burt would consider appearing with or recording Dionne again. And horror of horror's if we ended up with a Dionne Sings Dionne Sings Dionne Sings Dionne produced by Damon Elliott.
maestrofan

Post by maestrofan »

Not going to hold my breath waiting for this to happen! You don't sound too excited either BachtoBacharach. Only hope we never see an updated version of Friends In Love OR anything containing the word FRIENDS from Ms. Warwick. Enough is Enough. Could support Mr. gillanddon's suggestion that they record some lesser known songs by Mr. Bacharach and Mr. David with appropriate production. Those 4 on the NOW cd were the best.