Dionne Files for Bankruptcy

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

Re: Dionne Files for Bankruptcy

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

B2B, I love your posts here and respect you very much. You obviously have been on the inside. So I guess, after reading what you've written, I will simply have to believe that Dionne was BEYOND reckless with her money and her future finances. You can certainly understand how a normal person is astounded and flabbergasted that a star like Dionne could literally, as the saying goes, "spend like there's no tomorrow!" I have to admit that I'm a very cautious spender myself; so, for a person like me, it's well nigh impossible for me to believe that anyone could spend everything they take in. From where I'm sitting, it's insane and crazy! And it defies reason, common sense and credulity. Am I right? If so, then you can understand why it's just so damned hard and impossible to believe. But, based on what you've said, I will force myself to believe it -- as hard as it is! I guess this world takes all kinds of people!
maestrofan

Post by maestrofan »

Adding credence to what B2B posted above I remember seeing photographs of Ms. Warwick taken back in the 1980's wearing a sweat shirt with large print BEVERLY HILLS SPENDING TEAM. (tacky to say the least) Guess that is a message proclaiming CONSPICUOUS CONSUMPTION or if you haven't noticed I am a conspicuous consumer of very expensive things!
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Well, well ... what will be left of Dionne? I'm finding it difficult to read the systematic destruction of this fine lady's character on this forum. First it's her voice, then her smoking and now it's her 'compulsive' spending etc ... soon there won't be anything left. What is the point? Why not bring out all her positive attributes instead? I pick up a horribly vindictive tone with many of the postings and I'm not sure what's bugging you all? Dionne has posted a reassuring note on her facebook site about the bankruptcy, she has friends and family all around her ... and I'm sure will successfully reinvent herself for her future. One thing for sure ... spending or no spending, she has had the most interesting and extraordinary life with what looks like a hell of a lot of fun .. sprinkled with bags of generosity.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

To be totally honest, it does bug me when big stars don't pay their taxes. I think that does speak to someone's character, don't you think? It also bugs me when big stars scam millions of people by suckering them into spending their hard-earned money on total fakery and fraud -- such as horoscopes. People looked up to Dionne and she scammed them for her own profit. How is that for character? It also bugs me when you run benefits and take money for yourself. I think that that speaks to character as well. Plus, I saw some of her "character" when she appeared on Celebrity Apprentice and it wasn't pretty. B2B has stated a lot of FACTS here about Dionne and I'll be that he knows a lot more about her than we do. Dionne has always been my favorite singer, but I'm not going to drink the Kool-Aid.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

I am sorry but I don't agree with you at all about Dionne's character! I don't think BtoB has all the facts either. What is this 'insider' knowledge and where does it come from? A previous contributor also queried this. It's all very questionable and if he is on the 'inside' he must be being very disloyal. If most of the 'crimes' mentioned were true then Dionne would have been in court by now .. including for this tax problem. We have all made bad decisions in our lives and so has she and she's the first to admit it. Many artists struggle with fame and especially the financial side .. they don't go to school for that and yet have to work it out for themselves and choose the right manager etc .. not an easy thing to do and they are vulnerable to all the sharks out there. I, and many other people, didn't think Dionne came over too badly on Celebrity Apprentice and she kept her dignity ...especially when you saw who she was trying to deal with! She has said she wished she hadn't gone on the show. All in all I think she has juggled the crazy world of the music industry and fame very well and shouldn't be branded as a charlatan for a few misdemeanours. As I've said before. Please give her a break!!
face

Post by face »

I maintain that there are facts here that we do not know. My common sense tells me that there is no way that Dionne only brings in an average of $3750 per month from her performances. She is on the road constantly. At 72 years of age, would she still be putting herself through the rigors of constant touring, sacrificing her twilight years and spending valuable time away from her friends and family, for a mere $3750/month? For that relatively small amount, wouldn't she just retire and make up the difference by cutting back on some of her help or trimming some other expenses? I'm just not buying it. That's just not how people operate. She is dumping her money somewhere else, and these numbers are deflated.

I must admit, however, that her house is much more modest than I had imagined it would be. It seems quite ordinary. I also recognize that Dionne herself has always acknowledged her heavy shopping habits, not to mention her bad business decisions, so I'm sure that her finances are strained for many reasons beyond taxes. I just don't think that things are as bad as the numbers that are being reported. We'll have to wait and see if anything else emerges.
nikray77

Post by nikray77 »

Again it's clear that B2B would never give Dionne credit to cross the street. Look I have no idea what Dionne's situation is at this point. But I know a little about money matters and I suspect Dionne was given advise to go ahead and do this now. Two quick points, it's clear that Dionne was smart enough have put money into pension funds and i suspect that over the years she had put money away in the funds for her children and grandchildren tax liability is generally less a issue is managed correctly. I don't want to add to the colorful posts by some here I have a feeling that this is a personal attack on Dionne, it smells very personal.

The other issue in this is clearly according to Dionne's attorney's is the fees and penatilies imposed by the IRS not the actually amount that she owes those amounts were paid in full. I suspect that Dionne's people have recognized for many years that if this ended up with the IRS not allowing the waving of those fees it's because they suspect that Dionne had more money than she is reporting. The IRS in generally are not always the nicest people...I do find it odd that several posters have never mentioned that the IRS lost/misplaced Dionne's returns for several years. They had to apologize within the last year for some of their mistakes. Again posted on TMZ... all in all I wish Dionne the best I have a feeling she will fine.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Well-said Nikray!!! I also second your point on B2B...

The British Telegraph writes in a lengthy article:" Most of her income comes from a $14,000 monthly pension, which is supplemented by $2,200 a month in Social Security benefits."

That's quite a sizable SAG pension she has there so she clearly put a pretty big amount of money over the years into those funds.
nikray77

Post by nikray77 »

I would add that some of these past facts have come from tabloid smell especially regarding the issue with American Express back in the 90's, American Express would never discuss case like this thus it smells like tabloid mess. I have no way of knowing some of the other nonsense which is being discussed here as news. Frankly that is beside the point.

Look clearly we don't have all the facts and Dionne is taking the advice of her lawyers and accountants. I suspect that Dionne has always made sure that her sons and formerly her family was taken care of in terms long terms. I also know that unless the rules have changed the IRS can not get their hands on retirement accounts and or trust accounts set up for family. I also suspect they can't figure out how Dionne even at this point is only getting a small salary from singing gigs. Well frankly it appears as I suspected which is not uncommon in the music biz or showbiz that the checks go to a company that set up that the people working for Dionne are paid first and later she gets a fixed salary after expenses and payments. I would also suspect she is still allowed to put some of her salary into retirement accounts and trust accounts. I have a MBA and it's been a long time since I have studied some of these issues. Frankly I am not worried about Dionne long term, for all of her issues she is still one classy lady even in the face of those who seem to dislike Dionne, when from everything that I have ever read or seen she has been nothing if not giving.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Is there any other A-list celebrity that regularly wears 30 year old gowns to major glamour events like the Clive Davis Pre-Grammy Party or in this case the "Goldene Kamera". And let me add she still wears them with style...But she definitely is anything but a an uncontrollable spender on cloths these days. And over many years and sometimes even decades I've seen the same jewelry on her. Even in her big-earning days of the past.
Attachments
dionne-warwick-47th-annual-goldene-kamera-awards-inside-07.jpg
dionne-warwick-47th-annual-goldene-kamera-awards-inside-07.jpg (188.77 KiB) Viewed 11219 times
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Another 30 year old dress...
Attachments
234626-whitney-houston-and-dionne-warwick-perform-at-the-pre-grammy-gala-salu.jpg
234626-whitney-houston-and-dionne-warwick-perform-at-the-pre-grammy-gala-salu.jpg (48.22 KiB) Viewed 11218 times
nikray77

Post by nikray77 »

I think there are some clear indications that once again posting of a clear 'tabloid' links speaks loud and clear to me regarding agendas. As well I would suspect that all of the stage clothes, equipment, etc...are now owned by company which I would guess also pays Dionne a salary. Frankly I generally don't get why people are so upset over Dionne's situation at this point. I have to take her at her word that she is fine. If she is not what really can any of us do. As I have stated repeatedly I believe that for some here Dionne if she made a billion dollars next week and gave 90 percent of it away somehow she would be horrible Dionne.

Thank God, some of here are so perfect!!
maestrofan

Post by maestrofan »

nikray77
I understand why you think that some people have something against or an agenda that is harmful to Ms. Warwick. Looking over the posts that address her health (smoking), finances, her voice and some of the destructive career decisions (Psychic Friends) she has made, I sense that most here are really concerned about her well being. Think that most people here at this site wish her good health, wealth, happiness and a long life and career. Ms Warwick is a very integral part of Mr. Bacharach's and Mr. David's legacy and we wish her only the best.
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Well said maestrofan! Many of the "defenders" of Warwick here sound almost like the enablers she has surrounded herself with that have been so detrimental to her. Kudos to those true friends of hers such as Gladys Knight, Leslie Uggams, the GREAT Nancy Wilson and others who have been busting her chops for years regarding some of these very issues and basically have told Dionne "hey you ARE going to listen to what I have to say to you even if you don't want to hear it." Bless them. They care about Dionne as a person not as a fab diva or an object of obsession or a famous singer.