Brazil Tour

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

someonenameddavid

Brazil Tour

Post by someonenameddavid »

Well *the band* is in the air Flying Down to Rio.... Actually Sao Paolo then Curitiba (spellings?) if I get any info I shall post it here... I checked Ms. Eliza's schedule and between getting back from Brazil and going to Europe, she's on the East Coast with Paul Anka....

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
ron hertel

Re: Brazil Tour

Post by ron hertel »

Ms. Eliza is one very special and talented young lady!
Rio

Post by Rio »

Curitiba (4/16)-RIo (4/18)-São Paulo (4/20).
Looking forward to watching and listening to Burt live.
Better than that: I look forward to saluting and acknowledging the greatness and the tireless efforts of a man that, paraphrasing Marlene Dietrich, I couldn't love and admire very much more.
You should indeed be a proud dad!
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

someonenameddavid wrote:Well *the band* is in the air Flying Down to Rio.... Actually Sao Paolo then Curitiba (spellings?) if I get any info I shall post it here... I checked Ms. Eliza's schedule and between getting back from Brazil and going to Europe, she's on the East Coast with Paul Anka....

David
Within the last few days, Paul Anka was interviewed on Piers Morgan's nightly CNN show. Paul was very charming and it was a good interview. Did you happen to see it? His book is coming out soon. Should be very interesting. He's had some career. He was the Justin Bieber of his day, too!
someonenameddavid

No, I didn't see Mr. Anka on Piers Morgan: he has been great to work with and the two bands are highly skilled, with some Julliard grads. Burt's band feels like family to Liz though.

The band was delayed by American in Miami for 8 hours.

Liz will also be on Craig Ferguson with another band on May 8th

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
Rio

Post by Rio »

You can travel with Burt...

1 - Choose a year and find the most played songs on radio stations in Brazil in that year.
http://www.planetarei.com.br/100anos/index.htm

2 - It seems like Ivan Lins will be a special guest in Rio's concert. IMHO, Ivan is genius. They seem likely to perform The Look Of Love and Lembra De Mim.

Lembra de mim:

Ivan has a number of great songs. You can find him on videos from Festival Internacional da Canção-FIC, an event that took place here in the late 60s and early 70's. Very competitive event; extremely high quality competition. Ivan used to give'm hell. You may want to check out O Amor É O Meu País and Madalena, in that regard. I provide the better-known recording studio versions of these songs below.

O Amor É O Meu País
I was too young at the time of the festival. This early recording had a lasting, profound impact on me:

Madalena:

Of course this is just a tease. Ivan is very prolific and keeps going very strong. There are lots of videos on Youtube, and some have Trijntje Oosterhuis on them.

3- Finally, *Paul Anka* with a song that came in second, FIC 1969, to a song by Tom Jobim (better known in the US as A.C. Jobim):
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Mr. Rio,

Ivan Lins in many songs that he composed have much influence harmonic of Burt Bacharach.

Ivan Lins is a genius and is the "brazilian Burt Bacharach" to his own style.

- In 1980, George Benson recorded "Dinorah, Dinorah", composed by Ivan Lins:

- In 1981, Quincy Jones recorded with Toots Thielemans "Velas" ("Velas Içadas"), composed by Ivan:

- And Vanessa Williams singing "Love Dance", written by Ivan Lins, Vitor Martins and Paul Williams:

Moreover Burt Bacharach is a fan of Ivan Lins. That he always makes a point of saying!

If they meet the art of music will be rewarded!

The major asset of the art of music is exactly the transncender any language ...

I love their music.

Best regards
Djalma Jr.
Rio

Post by Rio »

I've been way too busy. Sorry. Thanks, Djalma. I completely agree with all you said.
Anyone who had a heart would surely love this.

BTW... as a rule I prefer Ivan doing his songs. Some recordings by him of course are better than others also by him. Fortunately, my favorite recordings are usualy among the best known. I go for the arrangements and the rough edges in his (especially earlier) singing -- these make most other versions seem pasteurized. But you made a good point by showing that he is well known and respected abroad.

For those interested, besides FIC, there was an extremely popular and high-quality contest, Festival da Música Popular Brasileira - MPB, TV Record (these are good keywords). Lots of material from around the same period as FIC, on YouTube.
Rio

Post by Rio »

I was forgetting:

DIONNE WARWICK AND IVAN LINS - SHE WALKS THIS EARTH (Dionne invites Ivan to join her)

Show de Dionne Warwick com Ivan Lins e David Elliot - Parte 1 - Walk on By -- there are several other parts to this on YT.
someonenameddavid

Tonight was with Ivan Lins.... I shall try to get a report, but my iphone went swimming....
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Burt Bacharach and Ivan Lins - Rio de Janeiro, 04/18/2013

Photos during rehearsals posted by Ivan Lins on his facebook!

Last edited by Djalma Junior on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Rio de Janeiro, 04/18/2013 (Thursday)

Burt Bacharach and Ivan Lins - Rio de Janeiro, 04/18/2013

New photos, now on the show, posted by Ivan Lins on his Facebook:

"Ivan Lins is the composer that I like most in Brazil, even without understanding the lyrics of his songs."
BURT BACHARACH
Last edited by Djalma Junior on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rio

Post by Rio »

Ancelmo Gois' column (O Globo) says Burt said that Ivan is the one he likes the most in Bz. That last picture's footage states the same thing.
But this is not fair. I don't think Burt would want to say something that would create a ranking among Brazilian songwriters beyond his often stated preferences.
Burt said that Brazilian popular music is the best in the world. Then, after saying that he had been doing exercises while listening to Ivan's music for six months now (started before he knew he would come to Bz, he said), he added: *So not only is Ivan's music the best to listen to, it is also the best to workout to.*
I think he just didn't want to come across as believing that Ivan's music is mainly great for exercising, since this is most certainly not what he thinks. So I believe (rather firmly, actually, despite loving Ivan) that Burt simply meant to say that, beyond what he had just said about the previous six months, Ivan is very special and wonderful to listen to.
Indeed, if Burt were to be taken literally, Ivan would have to be said to be his favorite songwriter in the world (which would be fine with me, that is not the point), and not just in Bz.

Thank you so much for the links Djalma!!

About their hug, I can't help but say that there never was so much talent in so little space.
Last edited by Rio on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rio

Post by Rio »

Thursday night, in Rio:

SP's concert is over.

May they all have a safe return to the US.