Oh no, please don't! "My Friends And Me 2" in the making

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Downtown

Oh no, please don't! "My Friends And Me 2" in the making

Post by Downtown »

There is music on Dionne's last two albums "Now" and "Only Trust Your Heart" that I listen to at least once or twice a week and that will stand the test of time. Particularly "Love Is Still The Answer", "99 Miles To LA" and "It Was Almost Like A Song". I'm very, very happy that Dionne and Phil had the opportunity to work one last time together and deliver a couple of outstanding tracks.

After the low-point of "My Friends And Me" I did not expect any more relevant releases from Dionne but the last two albums proved me wrong. Together with her gospel album "Why We Sing" even the last three.

So, it is with some horror to find out that DW and her son are at it again and recording a duets album that sound a lot like "My Friends And Me 2".

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/entertai ... e_14869062
Blair N. Cummings

Re: Oh no, please don't! "My Friends And Me 2" in the making

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Hey, Downtown, nothing in that story suggests a new (bad) album; just a track. I`m sure it sucks, but no label on earth will bankroll another dog like My Friends and Me.
Downtown

Post by Downtown »

She's been mentioning she is in the process of recording a duets album for a couple of months now. I just wasn't aware that it involved her untalented son as a producer again and some more BB/HD re-recordings.

Flying Sly & Robbie to LA and duetting on "Raindrops" that's enough evidence for me:-)
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Who do she and her producers imagine to be the audience for such a travesty? What label is so deluded that it could think it will make a profit from this?
In a half-sane music business, the `74 tracks with Burt would have been released as singles if for no other reason than to enlighten young listeners as to why they may ever have heard of her.
I know Dionne needs money but this project will not provide it.
She needs to retire and consult with a sympathetic advisor as to how to go forward.
nikray77

Post by nikray77 »

Blair, I personally really would not want another duets album either, but I do find your take on the issue a little over the top. Clearly Dionne has been able to keep making records no matter the level of success, and no matter if she needs money or not. My guess is at this point Dionne is doing music, songs and working with people and music she wants, no longer having to do something just for record company. Why are fans still thinking Dionne is suddenly going to change. By the way there were pics/instagram some months ago with Damon and Dionne flying to meet Earth, Wind and Fire for a recording date.