Burt and Carole in concert 2013....

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

Re: Burt and Carole in concert 2013....

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Hey, Vincent, we all know NYC has changed in recent decades (and not for the better, in my view) but when was 7th Ave in the East Village?
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Blair;

You are right! It's been a very long time. Thanks for pointing that out to me!
Take care;

Vincent
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

"blue"
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Blair N. Cummings wrote:Hey, Vincent, we all know NYC has changed in recent decades (and not for the better, in my view) but when was 7th Ave in the East Village?
Blair,

Vincent was correct. The Electric Circus was on St. Mark's Place which was the heart of the East Village. (The Village Vanguard was on 7th Ave. South (to be technical about it) and was not in the East Village but in the West Village.)
Blair N. Cummings

Yeah, I was just referring to the Vanguard which still IS on 7th Ave South.
Blair N. Cummings

While we`re off-topic, does anyone here remember the short-lived Squat Theater a couple doors down from the Chelsea on W23rd? Both Nico and Sun Ra and band had lengthy residencies. I spent many nights there around `80/`81. If I recall correctly, they served only one beer: Tuborg.
It was only there you could hear Nico performing her Drama of Exile songs before they were electronically souped up with that eighties "chicka-chicka" sound for the subsequent (inferior) album.
I know: not many Nico fans here.
An Enormous BB Fan

Blair N. Cummings wrote:While we`re off-topic, does anyone here remember the short-lived Squat Theater a couple doors down from the Chelsea on W23rd? Both Nico and Sun Ra and band had lengthy residencies. I spent many nights there around `80/`81. If I recall correctly, they served only one beer: Tuborg.
It was only there you could hear Nico performing her Drama of Exile songs before they were electronically souped up with that eighties "chicka-chicka" sound for the subsequent (inferior) album.
I know: not many Nico fans here.
Sure do. Right across from the Hotel Chelsea was the McBurney Y where I used to run and swim. And right next to that is a branch of the New York Public Library where I got so many books. Wasn't there a Horn & Hardart's on the southwest corner of 23rd & 7th at that time? Anyhow, I never saw anything at the Squat Theatre. I saw a play at Stagelights 2 on 22nd street (between 6th and 7th), however.
Jan R.

Post by Jan R. »

Blair N. Cummings wrote: I know: not many Nico fans here.
Well, at least one. ;-)
Blair N. Cummings

Just for you, Jan:
A lot better than the god-awful album version, isn`t it?
(With apologies to the rest; I won`t go this far off again...for a while, anyway).
Jan R.

Post by Jan R. »

Yes, it's charming, thanks for posting the link. But I think we're getting off topic here ...
Blair N. Cummings

Hey, Jan, we haven`t had a new topic here since At This Time was released a decade ago. That`s why I enjoy stirring things up from time to time. It keeps the circulation going and the interest piqued.
An Enormous BB Fan

Blair N. Cummings wrote:Hey, Jan, we haven`t had a new topic here since At This Time was released a decade ago. That`s why I enjoy stirring things up from time to time. It keeps the circulation going and the interest piqued.
Take this for what it's worth: I disagree with Jan. This is a discussion group and I don't think we should be hindered, hampered or handcuffed to discussing only what the topic is. Many of us have been here for a long time and if a discussion takes a turn, then I say good! If you don't like it, then bring the discussion back to the topic by adding something to it. I'm not a fan of thread police, quite frankly. Also, it seems like there's only a few of us regulars that are left here and, personally, I think it's great if a discussion veers off a bit. A discussion can also take a turn back if someone would add something. Jan hardly contributes to this discussion forum. I wish Jan would contribute more. But I certainly wouldn't expect Blair to start a thread about the Squat theatre, but if it comes up as a discussion point in a thread not dedicated to New York City theatres in the 70's, then I say "so what?" It's not like much is happening here in this Discussion Forum. I think more spam comes here than bona fide theads. So my thinking is that Blair or anyone can write about whatever they want. Maybe other people will find it interesting. If not, how hard is it to scroll by it? And maybe it will activate more discussion here about Burt's phenomenal life and music.

Blair, please keep stirring!
Jan R.

Post by Jan R. »

An Enormous BB Fan wrote: Jan hardly contributes to this discussion forum. I wish Jan would contribute more.
Yes, I know ... That's what my teachers said already 40 years ago (sigh).

Seriously, currently I check this forum once a week, and I'm glad it exists and I enjoy reading it. But anyways, I hope I can contribute a little bit more. I'll do my very best ...