Burt and Carole in concert 2013....

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

Burt and Carole in concert 2013....

Post by blueonblue »

A rare performance from Burt and Carole.......

"blue"
vincent.cole

Re: Burt and Carole in concert 2013....

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Blue.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Take care mon ami.

Vincent
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Blue, you beat me to it. I just saw the entire concert on youtube and came right here to post it. All I can say is this: You all MUST see this. Especially beginning at 1:01:00 (one hour and one minute into the concert). That's when Carole and Burt have a few discussions and stories and it's very interesting. Carole can have quite an "edge" to her and she can be a bit sharp, wouldn't you say? And besides all of that, what was most interesting to me was the discussion about Burt not getting the Kennedy Center Honors award. Carole is obviously quite miffed about it, as I am, and as we all are -- and it's good to know. I got the feeling that Burt is miffed, too, at not having gotten it and he agrees with Carole that the producer of the event perhaps might not like Burt. I doubt if that's true, but what other reason could there be for Burt not getting it? They joked that he probably had dated Angie -- which was very funny and got a good laugh. Burt's regular backup singers were there (Donna, Josie and John) and it was interesting watching their faces when Burt and Carole were getting kind of personal. I was surprised to hear Burt say to Carole, "Now let a real singer do it," after Carole was obviously not doing too well. I have a feeling that if Burt had it to do over again, he never would have had Carole do the "Sometimes Late At Night" album. Just a feeling that I have since there were some really good songs on there that a real singer could have taken further up the charts. Also, I can't help thinking that Carole and Joan Rivers probably go to the same plastic surgeon, if you know what I mean. Is that a face or is that a mask she wears? I'm so glad that Burt didn't go that route. Just look at Wayne Newton to know what I mean.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Vincent, Enormous,
You're very welcome.
I was also very surprised to learn about how many great songs Carole has co-wrote with other people.

"blue"
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

blue

…. As close as most of us will ever get to having a personal concert in our own living rooms. ….. This is so reminiscent of Burt & Carole's intimate performance which I attended back in the 80's at the renowned Roxy Theater on the Sunset Strip. ……. While Burt and Carole's "vocals" will never win a Grammy - their interpretations of their own material are a joy to observe. To this day - I still frequently listen to the "Sometimes Late At Night" album which they performed in its entirety that night at the Roxy.

Interesting to observe them making reference to their own vocal shortcomings in a self deprecating manner. …… Also - making reference to the Kennedy Center Honors Committee which has not yet recognized Burt's contributions over the past 60 years! Yeah it's political - but still unbelievable! ….. Same applies to Dionne and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame! …….. At this point - they probably don't care!

Time well spent watching this! ……. Thanks for posting.

ron
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Ron,
Glad you enjoyed it, Burt and Carole are a great double act....the odd couple !

"blue"
Alvina

Post by Alvina »

I must check in to the forum more often. This video of Burt and Carole was a great treat. Thanks so very much for posting it. I had the great pleasure of seeing them together once in Clearwater, Fl. I loved the chemistry they had onstage then, but now that we are a little older I thought they were even better onstage. Carole is some kind of classy lady.
Keep up the great posts.
Alvina Hackney
PS. I also love the "Sometimes Late At Night Album" Ron. I think her voice is sweet and endearing.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Alvina,
I agree with you and Ron, "Sometimes Late At Night" is a criminally underrated "Masterpiece" !

"blue"
Alvina

Post by Alvina »

Wow, and all this time I thought I was alone in this. Some in my family who will not be named make fun of me when I play it. I had become a closet listener lol.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Alvina,
IMHO it's the best music Burt and Carole ever wrote together.

"blue"
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Alviva & blue

Perhaps if we pool our resources $$$ - we can arrange for Burt & Carole to perform in one of "our" living rooms!

Ron
bonkersforburt

Post by bonkersforburt »

you are joking but it could happen for the right price.... i once asked burt if he could play at my daughter's wedding ( she was a child at the time)) and he answered seriously, "when is it?" i'm in and my living room is available!
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I`d settle for a show at the living-room size Village Vanguard. How about it, Lorraine?
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Blair:

I don't know Lorraine Gordon - but - if you do - run it by her. .... I'd love to see Burt & Carole at the Village Vanguard and will fly in from the West Coast as long as I don't "....get caught between the moon and New York City".

Ron
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Blair, I use to go to the, Electric Circus and the Village Vanguard in the late 60’s. Good times in the East Village in New York City!

Ron, behave mon ami (lol)!
Take care;

Vincent