Rare Bacharach songs from the 60s/70s

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

Rare Bacharach songs from the 60s/70s

Post by geoff85 »

There has never been a thread dedicated to rare Bacharach songs. These are he songs that I assume only Bacharach obsessed people would know and maybe not even.

Any song I stumble upon that I haven't heard before as someone who has looked high and low for Bacharach's music must be rare. Here goes Jimmy Radcliffe 's " The Forgotten Man" written with Hal David.

BarryPugh47

Re: Rare Bacharach songs from the 60s/70s

Post by BarryPugh47 »

Hello Geoff. Here's a challenge for you (and anyone else!). Can you locate the Sylvaine Claire recording of 'Do Not Speak to Me of Love.' (Polydor)
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Adam Wade Rain from the skies

geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Cliff Richards " its wonderful to be young"

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Peggy Lee 'My Rock And Foundation'

'blue'
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

blueonblue wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:50 am Peggy Lee 'My Rock And Foundation'

'blue'
Wow never heard this. Never heard of it. Sounds like Hal squeezed this out in 5 minutes. I appreciate anything new I can hear of the maestro tho.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Anita Harris London Life.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Its hard for me to know if this is truly rare or not but I first heard it like 15 yrs ago. I was still living with my parents at the time so I was able to ask them if they had ever heard of it and my dad who prides himself on being a music aficianado of his time said he had not. Both Dionne Warwick and Vi Velasco recorded their versions of " Thats not the answer" I actually prefer Vi Velascos version slightly because it sounds much more in that traditional mid to late 60s Bacharach style while ironically being arranged by Charlie Calello and not Bacharach himself. Good job Charlie. I also used to think the background singers in Dionnes version are saying " shut up shut up" lol.

0"35 sounds like Lindsay Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac playing guitar.

Henry Dee

Post by Henry Dee »

I love all of the early Burt songs! I don‘t know how Burt himself would feel about this tune but I love it and it always gives me a smile. Campy and catchy! Love the jumpy arrangement. From 1956, Sherry Parsons sings “Peggy‘s In The Pantry“.

geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Henry Dee wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:18 pm I love all of the early Burt songs! I don‘t know how Burt himself would feel about this tune but I love it and it always gives me a smile. Campy and catchy! Love the jumpy arrangement. From 1956, Sherry Parsons sings “Peggy‘s In The Pantry“.

Lol what a jig. Its one of those so bad its good kinda songs. It is so campy i need first aid and a sleeping bag. But those Burtisms are in there still and they were there early on which tells me Burt just really needed to make a name for himself before he unleashed his idiosyncracies. Who wrote this btw? Where is it linked from btw? Thank you for this.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Ernie Felice " Hot Spell" one of the rare gems written by Mack David in the 50s (1958). Ive always wondered if Burt arranged the vocal melodies or if his lyricists do. I notice all the songs Hal is credited with th words fit right into the pocket of the syncopated every changing rythm and meter. Mack seems to be no slouch with his ability to do that. I wonder if HAl taught him a trick or two or vice versa? Oh and only Burt could get away with that amount of dissonance at the end of a song and it still sounds genius.

Margaret Whitings version is probably the earliest indication of Bacharachs shift to that Brazilian Bossa Nova rhythm section he often gravitated to in the 60s and early 70s.

Last edited by geoff85 on Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Another version...

'blue'
Henry Dee

Post by Henry Dee »

Hi Geoff,
How are you? Yes, I forgot to add that Hal David is the clever lyricist on the lively “Peggy‘s In The Pantry“. One of their first collaborations in 1956.
The source for the posting is bandcamp and here is the link:

Tried posting the actual web address link here but when I do it puts up the picture of Burt and Dionne with the arrow to click on. Still, once you do click on link, you will see the actual address at the top with tunes under a heading relating to the beginnings of Burt Bacharach.

Cheers,
Henry
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

blueonblue wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:29 am Another version...

'blue'
I updated my post without seeing yours first. It didnt go thru when i lost wifi yesterday lol. Margaret Whitings version is even more true to form and is probably the earliest indicator of where Bacharach was kinda going as the 60s were approaching. I wonder if he went to Sao Paalo or Rio sometime in the late 50s and was influenced by the Bossa Nova sound. This song is one of the eariest inclinations of his appreciation of the sound. Lieber/Stoller seemed to have a similar sond but they veered more into mariachi territory. I wonder who was the first of the Brill Buildingers to incoroporate latin influence into their music. Anyone know?
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Gene McDaniels In times like these. (1959). The last 30 seconds is as close as you will get to heaven on this side of earth. Whoever arranged those vocals thank you.