No one told me Michael Jackson and Burt worked together.

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

No one told me Michael Jackson and Burt worked together.

Post by geoff85 »

in 1981 Mike and Carole Bayer Sager worked on a beautiful duet called " Just Friends". I was today's years old when I heard this for the first time. I really don't dwelve into Burt's work passed the mid 70s so if sorry if anyone is rolling their eyes at me for thinking this is monumental. Enjoy if you are like me and just finding this out.
geoff85

Re: No one told me Michael Jackson and Burt worked together.

Post by geoff85 »

After all these years I attempted to listen the Carole Bayer Sager album this track is on. I hate to say this but it was really bad and i mean really really bad not even Burt could save it. I have a new respect now for Hals relationship in the tandem and the triad(where Dionne is concerned). Carole Bayer Sager wrote so many good songs for other ppl but that album was like al the left over stuff just compiled into one record with the exception of the song with Michael and maybe one or two others.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

geoff85 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:54 pm After all these years I attempted to listen the Carole Bayer Sager album this track is on. I hate to say this but it was really bad and i mean really really bad not even Burt could save it. I have a new respect now for Hals relationship in the tandem and the triad(where Dionne is concerned). Carole Bayer Sager wrote so many good songs for other ppl but that album was like al the left over stuff just compiled into one record with the exception of the song with Michael and maybe one or two others.
I beg to differ, I think it's one of the best things they ever did together.

'blue'
BarryPugh47

Post by BarryPugh47 »

I applaud you 'Blue on Blue.' for disagreeing. "Sometimes Late at Night" is one of my favorite albums of all time (along with: Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" - Stephen Bishop "Careless" - Kenny Loggins "Leap of Faith" - Billy Joel "The Stranger" - Michael Ruff "Speaking in Melodies" and San Sebastian Strings "The Sea, The Earth and The Sky" --must not forget the unforgettable Richard Harris "The Yard Went On Forever!").
The overall production, arrangement, song quality, and all the ancillary stuff which make a great album are here on this Carole/Burt masterpiece.
Goodness me - it's a bit like someone saying they love music but don't like Stevie Wonder!
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

blueonblue wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:46 am
geoff85 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:54 pm After all these years I attempted to listen the Carole Bayer Sager album this track is on. I hate to say this but it was really bad and i mean really really bad not even Burt could save it. I have a new respect now for Hals relationship in the tandem and the triad(where Dionne is concerned). Carole Bayer Sager wrote so many good songs for other ppl but that album was like al the left over stuff just compiled into one record with the exception of the song with Michael and maybe one or two others.
I beg to differ, I think it's one of the best things they ever did together.

'blue'
I found the songs way too meandering for my tastes They felt unstructured and amorphous. Fine people of taste can disagree. Seems dissent draws ppl out of the shadows more than agreement roun these parts lol
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

BarryPugh47 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:03 am I applaud you 'Blue on Blue.' for disagreeing. "Sometimes Late at Night" is one of my favorite albums of all time (along with: Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" - Stephen Bishop "Careless" - Kenny Loggins "Leap of Faith" - Billy Joel "The Stranger" - Michael Ruff "Speaking in Melodies" and San Sebastian Strings "The Sea, The Earth and The Sky" --must not forget the unforgettable Richard Harris "The Yard Went On Forever!").
The overall production, arrangement, song quality, and all the ancillary stuff which make a great album are here on this Carole/Burt masterpiece.
Goodness me - it's a bit like someone saying they love music but don't like Stevie Wonder!
STOP!!!!!!(I gotta do the Supremes hand motion) you are going too far. Pet Sounds level??? People of fine tastes can disagree but my goodness. Redirect me to the 3 best songs on the album not including the Jacko track ill give it a relisten.