BBC's 'Sounds of the 60s'

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Sara D

BBC's 'Sounds of the 60s'

Post by Sara D »

I'm sure I'm not alone among the British contributors to this forum in my devotion to BBC Radio 2's Sounds of the 60s, which for the information of non-Brits is on air every Saturday morning between 8 and 10 but is available on line via the BBC's Listen Again facility. For me it's an almost perfect blend of hits and rarities and, needless to say, Bacharach material is often played and in just the last few weeks Carol Deene's 'Who's been Sleeping in my Bed', Peter Gordeno's 'You're Following Me' and Frankie Vaughan's 'Tower of Strength' have all been featured, the first two of which are recordings I'd never heard before or even knew existed. The fact that presenter Brian Matthew was very much around in the 60s and indeed had his own radio (Saturday Club) and TV show (Thank Your Luck Stars) and met everyone that mattered also lends the show a lot of authenticity, and, yes, he's usually very good when it comes to name-checking songwriters.
pljms

Re: BBC's 'Sounds of the 60s'

Post by pljms »

Yes, I listen in every week too and agree that's it's essential listening. I can't really complain about the amount of Bacharach played on the show because it could never really be enough, but, yes, they could play more! Indeed, if the producer of the show has a particular favourite among the major 60s songwriters it would seem to be the team of Goffin and King.
Paul
hereiam

Post by hereiam »

Yes, this is a must-listen for me. I thoroughly enjoy that 2 hours every week as Brian could find some real gems
to play each week.
For instance, in the last show, he played the alternate version of Scott Walker's Lights Of Cincinnatti
sung by Long John Baldry which was even better than Scott's version. Played also was Duncan Browne's Give Me Take
You which was a really good song.

hereiam

Post by hereiam »

Another good thing about this radio programme is that it often plays some "one hit wonder" hits which are really
good (btw , there were so many good songs in the 60s that even many obscure songs are not bad at all )
and many of them are fun too.
For instance, there's one guy called Buzz Clifford who had a top 10 hit in 1961 called "Babysittin' Boogie"
and it was played in the Sound of the 60s a few years ago.

BTW There are 2 MV ofs it on Youtube, which are real funny :

pljms

Post by pljms »

Continuing the show's recent trend of featuring rarely heard Bacharach, this morning's broadcast included the Everly Brothers' recording of Trains and Boats and Planes, which is, I was disappointed to discover, yet another version in which the bridge isn't sung. The song just seems incomplete without it.
Paul
hereiam

Post by hereiam »

In yesterday's show (20 June), Brian played a beautiful version of the song People sung by
Dionne Warwick. The arrangement of this song is so Bacharachish.
It's by far the best version of this much sung song I have heard (for my taste at least)
pljms

Post by pljms »

Aretha Franklin's version of 'Walk on By' also got played, another rarity I'd never heard before.
Paul
pljms

Post by pljms »

This week's Bacharach rarity was Mark Wynter's recording of 'Another Tear Falls', again something I'd never heard before.
Paul
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

pljms wrote:Aretha Franklin's version of 'Walk on By' also got played, another rarity I'd never heard before.
Here it is:

hereiam

Post by hereiam »

hereiam wrote:In yesterday's show (20 June), Brian played a beautiful version of the song People sung by
Dionne Warwick. The arrangement of this song is so Bacharachish.
It's by far the best version of this much sung song I have heard (for my taste at least)

Here's an MV made with some good oneliners

http://hk.video.yahoo.com/video/video.html?id=1617350
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Yes, pljms, it was interesting hear Mark Wynter's take on 'Another Tear Falls', never a particular fave of mine but a good song all the same and a Top 20 hit in the UK for the Walker Brothers. It would have to be pretty near the top of the list of the most mournful songs Bacharach ever composed. Here's a version of the song by Cliff Richard which I've just discovered on Youtube: