a cover of "If I Could Go Back"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

a cover of "If I Could Go Back"

Post by Steve Schenck »

For those of us who admire Burt and Hal's score from the unfortunate "Lost Horizon," here's a cover of this very different song from the score, a song which is rarely covered. It's by Andy Williams; perhaps someone has already posted it here, but I thought new listeners might appreciate hearing it. One caution - don't get impatient, as I did, with Andy's opening the song by speaking the lyrics. He eventually gets around to singing that beautiful music.

grooverider

Re: a cover of "If I Could Go Back"

Post by grooverider »

Dear Steve, A great, great version of a song from that score that, yes, is rarely covered. The arrangement, by Artie Butler, is wonderful, as is Andy's vocal. I've always wondered how Dionne Warwick would have sounded singing this difficult-to-sing song. Anyway, a wonderful version from Andy Williams. Thanks, Steve.
Didn't Richard Harris sing this? If he did, is his version available on cd?
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Harris, indeed, sang it to the soundtrack backing track on one of Burt`s early `70s tv specials. It`s been posted here a few times and should be easily found, but no, he never recorded it.
I also like this beautiful Andy Williams version.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Dorothy Squires "barn-storming" version(s)......

"blue"
Rio

Post by Rio »

I will soon listen to this Andy Williams version. Don't recall having ever even heard about it.

I didn't partularly care for the song until I heard Burt giving this song an extremely powerful and passionate rendition. I could not overstate how much I value having that recording. I owe the opportunity to listen to that demo to Keith.

Harris' is probably still on YouTube. I do appreciate it now.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

I thought it was Rex harrison who sang it on the TV Special(indeed he did)..but I know richard Harris was also on one of them...perhaps he did this song also?
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Yes, Harris performed it on the Shangri-La themed special of `73 and the clip is buried here on the forum and (I think) still on YouTube.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

"Can there be joy... where there has been no sorrow ? ".............

"blue"