Trijntje Sings Burt

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Marcel

Trijntje Sings Burt

Post by Marcel »

Wow six years ago !!
Trijntje together with the dutch metrople orchestra singing these great BURT BACHARACH songs!
A journey in my life !!

Those great masterpieces written by BURT & HAL !

Enjoy !!!

Kind Regards,

Marcel
David McKee

Re: Trijntje Sings Burt

Post by David McKee »

That's wonderful. Here's the 2009 telecast that formed the basis of Blue Note's two-CD "Best of Burt Bacharach" album:

Before I stumbled across this, in quest of contemporary Bacharach interpretations, I'd never heard of Trijntje Oosterhuis and now I am completely under the spell of voice, musicianship and style. Although there are a few numbers that raise my eyebrows (the super-slow "Close to You"), I don't think you can find a better song-for-song interpreter of these wonderful numbers today. It's a damn shame that Trijntje will never achieve renown here in the U.S. because I've heard few female vocalists with such a mesmerizing timbre or such sensitivity of expression since Anni-Frid Lynstad ("Frida" to most of us) from ABBA. After listening to "Traincha" a few times, celebrity interpreters like those at the recent Gershwin Award ceremony will make you cringe.

(Too bad the prudish TV director cut away from most of the booty-shaking -- and very nice it is -- during "Do You Know the Way to San José?" Killjoy.)
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Mr. Marcel,

Thanks for this post!

Traincha is fantastic and "I Say a Little Prayer" is one of her most beautiful performances.

She manages to incorporate the style of Burt Bacharach.

Her interpretation of "Waiting For Charlie" with Master Burt in 2009 was very pretty:

I love her!

Best regards.

Djalma Jr
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Marcel, a most beautiful version of "In Between the Heartaches" by Trijntje (with Burt Bacharach on piano):

David McKee

Post by David McKee »

Traincha returns to the Heineken Music Hall on March 16. She's promoting her "Wrecks Me Adore" album, so it's an open question whether she'll sing any BB ... although it would be worth flying halfway around the world just to see this phenomenon in performance. For instance, while I think Dusty Springfield's "A House is Not a Home" is as close to definitive as one can get, Trijntje's rendition tears me to pieces every time I hear it. What a shame that the Blu-Ray DVD of her all-BB concert is only available in Region 2: The CD version presents the songs in a different sequence and, IMO, diminishes their cumulative impact.
David McKee

Post by David McKee »

T.O.'s latest concert included at least one BB song: This acoustic version of "That's What Friends Are For." We are not worthy.

David McKee

Post by David McKee »

Three alternate takes of "That's What Friends Are For" from last Saturday's concert. One of them seems filmed from a mile away but the vocal pickup is excellent:

Narrow, cellphone video but pristine sound until 3:25 or so, whereupon it becomes frustratingly muffled:

And, for the best picture quality of the three:
David McKee

Post by David McKee »

Trijntje riffs on "Do You Know the Way to San Jose" at an outdoor concert in The Hague. Her vocal quality in this reminds me very much of Dionne Warwick, but the style is unmistakably Oosterhuis.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

To me - on this particular video .... Her vocals are more reminiscent of Whitney Houston!