most beautiful haunting melodies you ever heard?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

most beautiful haunting melodies you ever heard?

Post by geoff85 »

I always thought this song( Flow by Transistor) that was a staple in alot of 90's teen flicks was very haunting but equally beautiful. I heard it first when I was like 11 or so and even at a young age I was drawn to these dark but serene melodies. Also Nelly Furtado all good things come to an end

A few soundtracks known to have some haunting melodies- flute instrumental from titanic
Schindlers List theme ( no explanation needed there)
Oliver Twist- Who Will Buy heard this song at age 6 long before I could understand what harmonies and melodies but I cant still remember how i felt. Sounds and voices coming from everywhere. The story itself is a sad one of poor British orphans.

Since this is a Burt site i have always found this instrumental song haunting.
I will post more.

What are some haunting beautiful melodies you ever heard?
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: most beautiful haunting melodies you ever heard?

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

For beautiful and haunting melodies, it just doesn't get any better than this one:

It's played over the last scene in the movie "Cinema Paradiso." Not a dry eye in the entire theatre.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

An Enormous BB Fan wrote:For beautiful and haunting melodies, it just doesn't get any better than this one:

It's played over the last scene in the movie "Cinema Paradiso." Not a dry eye in the entire theatre.

I loe Enrico Morricone however I am not sure I get what the big fuss is with the Cinema Paradiso theme. Its a pretty piece but i have heard much more striking melodies from Morricone tho I cant remember all by name since alot of them dont have English titles.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Beautiful haunting melodies? Certainly some great film composers/melody writers such as Victor Young(MY Foolish Heart), Max Steiner(Gone With The Wind/Summer PLace), David Raksin(Laura) or Henry MAncini,Days Of Wine and Roses/Moon River...
Burt wrote a great haunting melody on Come Touch The sun! :) "Here I Am" is another...
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

steveo_1965 wrote:beautiful haunting melodies? Certainly some great film composers/melody writers such as Victor Young, Max Steiner, David Raksin or Henry MAncini...
Burt wrote a great haunting melody on Come Touch The sun! :) "Here I Am" is another...
Totally agree with Come Touch the Sun. I think that is the same melody used for " where there is a heartache there is a heart".
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

You cant talk about haunting and beautiful without leaving out leaving out Karen Carpenter. We've only just begun and Rainy Days and Mondays are pretty haunting as well as her version of Superstar.
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Dear geoff85,

Great topic!

There are many wonderful songs that haunted the World of Music and here are a few among many that deal with my emotions:

Abraham's Theme (Vangelis)
"Chariots of Fire"

Everybody's Talkin' (Song by Fred Neil - Perfomed by Harry Nilsson)
"Midnight Cowboy"

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (Burt Bacharach/Hall David - Perfomed by B. J. Thomas)
"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"

September (Earth, Wind & Fire)
"Intouchables" (The Intouchables), french comedy-drama film

Best regards,
Djalma Jr
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Djalma Junior wrote:Dear geoff85,

Great topic!

There are many wonderful songs that haunted the World of Music and here are a few among many that deal with my emotions:

Abraham's Theme (Vangelis)
"Chariots of Fire"

Everybody's Talkin' (Song by Fred Neil - Perfomed by Harry Nilsson)
"Midnight Cowboy"

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (Burt Bacharach/Hall David - Perfomed by B. J. Thomas)
"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"

September (Earth, Wind & Fire)
"Intouchables" (The Intouchables), french comedy-drama film

Best regards,
Djalma Jr
Interesting choices Djalma. I would say alot of these would be unorthodox choices for most people except Chariots of Fire, which has been so abused and overused that many are desensitized to its beauty. Everybodys talkin has very strong associations with the movie Midnight Cowboy and often we intermingle the feelings and emotions from the movie with the soundtrack. Raindrops is easily considered beautiful but i would love to know what you think makes it haunting? It has a bit of a jig to it and almost sounds happy go lucky in parts. September is a full on dance song that i hear at weddings and parties all the time. What about it is haunting you? I am intrigued to know what you are hearing?
Downtown

Post by Downtown »

Thanks geoff85 for starting this post and "haunting" is a quality I can very much relate to...

Pete Segers "Where Have All The Flower's Gone" particularly in the German version performed by Dietrich together with Burt (here in a live version - the pizzicatos are just amazing and Marlene totally nails it)

Marietta's song from Erich-Wilhelm Korngold

Like with the pizzicatos in "WHATFG" Burt`s "Where Would I Go" does not only effect me emotionally but actually seems to effect my heartbeat...

Of all the Great Stevie Wonder songs it's "My Love" and "Stay Gold" that I find the most haunting...

"It Goes Like It Goes" from Norma Rae
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Raindrops is easily considered beautiful but i would love to know what you think makes it haunting? It has a bit of a jig to it and almost sounds happy go lucky in parts. September is a full on dance song that i hear at weddings and parties all the time. What about it is haunting you? I am intrigued to know what you are hearing?

Dear geoff85,

A song does not necessarily need to "haunt" in the etymological sense of that verb (to haunt).

Not to confuse you I clarify that the verb "to haunt" in my native language (Portuguese) has more than one connotation, not limited only to "haunt" it is also synonymous with the word "Marvel" (to feel great wonder).

One question: the verb "to haunt" can also have the meaning of "marvel” in the English language? (Even considering some differences between English spoken in England, USA etc.)

Please forgive me if my chosen songs or argument confusing to you! I had no such intention.

Anyway, back to refer to the songs "Raindrops" and "September" both have a rich harmonic structure and the two melodies were created by their composers in a rare moment of happiness, creativity and inspiration.

In my country "September" is rarely played at weddings and is considered a Classic Pop Music as well as all the music of Burt Bacharach.

That's why these songs haunt me or "marvel me”.

I am available to answer any questions!

And again, I congratulate you for posting this brilliant topic!

Sincerely,
Djalma Jr
Last edited by Djalma Junior on Thu May 01, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Djalma Junior wrote:
Raindrops is easily considered beautiful but i would love to know what you think makes it haunting? It has a bit of a jig to it and almost sounds happy go lucky in parts. September is a full on dance song that i hear at weddings and parties all the time. What about it is haunting you? I am intrigued to know what you are hearing?

Dear geoff85,

A song does not necessarily need to "haunt" in the etymological sense of that verb (to haunt).

Not to confuse you I clarify that the verb "to haunt" in my native language (Portuguese) has more than one connotation, not limited only to "haunt" it is also synonymous with the word "Marvel" (to feel great wonder).

One question: the verb "to haunt" can also have the meaning of "marvel” in the English language? (Even considering some differences between English spoken in England, USA etc.)

Please forgive me if my chosen songs or argument confusing to you! I had no such intention.

Anyway, back to refer to the songs "Raindrops" and "September" both have a rich harmonic structure and the two melodies were created by their composers in a rare moment of happiness, creativity and inspiration.

In my country "September" is rarely played at weddings and is considered a Classic Pop Music as well as all the music of Burt Bacharach.

That's why these songs haunt me or "marvel me”.

I am available to answer any questions!

Sincerely,
Djalma Jr
Wow I would have never guessed English was not your first language. You speak it very well. The word or term haunt or haunting typically means to scare or frighten. In the musical sense a haunting melody does not need to be scary but often very emotionally moving. While there is no real standard on what genre or style constitutes a haunting melody it seems to be typically reserved for songs are are slightly melancholy in nature or at least dramatic. Very rarely will you hear an upbeat song like September be described as haunting as haunting songs usually convey the image or audio of sweeping violins, dynamic piano playing, orchestras etc and are very rarely danceable. All this is just from my experience if anyone on this board knows differently please chime in.
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Wow I would have never guessed English was not your first language. You speak it very well. The word or term haunt or haunting typically means to scare or frighten. In the musical sense a haunting melody does not need to be scary but often very emotionally moving. While there is no real standard on what genre or style constitutes a haunting melody it seems to be typically reserved for songs are are slightly melancholy in nature or at least dramatic. Very rarely will you hear an upbeat song like September be described as haunting as haunting songs usually convey the image or audio of sweeping violins, dynamic piano playing, orchestras etc and are very rarely danceable. All this is just from my experience if anyone on this board knows differently please chime in.
Dear geoff85,

I understand you. Each language has its peculiarities and unfortunately we are all victims of the "Tower of Babel" hahaha

Keep posting great topics like this.

cordially
Djalma Jr.
danlindroos

Post by danlindroos »

Well, Geoff !:))

I guess I am a little beside the genré but
Sibelius "Valse Triste" from "Death"
represents my view of a hauntingly
beautiful tune !

Cheers
Dani
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Dani, thanks for sharing that piece. Simply magnificent! Speaking of "Triste", it brings to mind a most hauntingly beautiful ballad titled "Canto Triste" by Sergio Mendes & Brazil '66 from 1968. This Masterpiece appears on their A&M album "Fool On The Hill". Three more hauntingly beautiful recordings are: "Calling You" from the movie "Bagdad Cafe" performed by Jevetta Steele, "As If We'd Never Met" by Chanté Moore, and a track that I can't remember the name of off Diane Steinberg's Atlantic release "Diane Who?" which features the band MFSB. I would play the entire album for my friends and they all wanted to hear that one particular track over and over because the part where she sings "I love you much too much" was spell-binding and earth-shattering. Wish they would re-issue it as my vinyl copy is long gone.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

danlindroos wrote:Well, Geoff !:))

I guess I am a little beside the genré but
Sibelius "Valse Triste" from "Death"
represents my view of a hauntingly
beautiful tune !

Cheers
Dani
It is tranquil and peaceful. For me it is lacking in richness and dark tones necassary to make it haunting. It is like watching Ducks on a spring day.