Would Burt approve?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Toms1234

Would Burt approve?

Post by Toms1234 »

Tom
Jim Dixon

Re: Would Burt approve?

Post by Jim Dixon »

Approve?
Sure. This is hardly the first time a hip hop artist has sampled "Walk on By".

Respect?
Well...he'd probably cash the check, smile, and think "they still need my hooks."
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Well it's certainly one to keep an "eye out" for......(sorry) :oops:

'blue'
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Most definitely! My impression is that the desire for commercial success was a fundamental driver of Burt's artistic life. He may not have liked a particular version (for example, he wasn't crazy that Love changed the chords to "My Little Red Book"), but he'd still rather be on the charts than not on the charts. I wonder if his impressions of "Lost Horizon" would have been different if it had turned out to be a huge success?
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

I think he would approve because being remembered is always nice.
Toms1234

Post by Toms1234 »

# 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 this week.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

I guess he would but good lord this is a lazy sample.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

NOT on my playlist; however, I believe that Burt would be pleased and kind of laugh it off with a "whatever"!

Ron
Toms1234

Post by Toms1234 »

The late songwriting team of Burt Bacharach and Hal David has returned to the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart for the first time in almost 20 years, thanks to Doja Cat.

Doja’s latest single, “Paint the Town Red,” tops the Hot 100 this week. The track samples the songwriting pair’s classic “Walk On By,” which was made famous in 1964 by Dionne Warwick.

Thanks to a sample in Twista’s “Slow Jamz,” featuring Kanye West and Jamie Foxx, Bacharach and David last earned a songwriting credit on a #1 song in 2004. That song, which spent one week on top of the chart, samples Luther Vandross’ cover of Warwick’s 1964 release “A House Is Not a Home.”

And with Warwick’s voice used in Doja’s track, it marks the first time her voice has appeared in a #1 song since 1986, when her classic “That’s What Friends Are For,” which also featured Elton John, Stevie Wonder and Gladys Knight, hit #1.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

I remember Noel Gallagher mentioning in a Bacharach documentary that he stole the chords of 'This Guy's In Love With You' for this song.
"I'm surprised he (Burt) hasn't sued me yet ?"

'blue'