Dionne set for Kentucky

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

warbachavid

Dionne set for Kentucky

Post by warbachavid »

Warwick, Cage will join forces for concert
Russellville native bringing bigger star power to annual benefit for Western Kentucky scholarship fund

By Jason Dooley, jdooley@bgdailynews.com -- 270-781-1700

Saturday, June 12, 2004

Recording artist Athena Cage will hold a second annual concert to benefit the scholarship fund she began at Western Kentucky University, and this one will come with some very special guest stars.
Pop singer Dionne Warwick, the Western Kentucky University Orchestra and Western’s Chamber Singers will all perform with Cage at the event, scheduled for Aug. 28 at the National Corvette Museum Amphitheater.
“It’s going to be just a great time,â€￾ Cage said Friday. “This is totally family entertainment and it’s going to be a whole lot of fun.â€￾
Cage, a Russellville native and former Western student, began the concert series last year with a performance at Basil Griffin Park that raised about $3,000. She’s been featured on the soundtrack for the movie “Save the Last Dance.â€￾
Cage met Warwick a couple of years ago while doing some recording in Los Angeles, and was invited to come to New York City to be part of the tribute honoring Warwick’s 40 years in the industry.
“She is actually one of the most gracious superstars you’ll ever meet,â€￾ Cage said. “When I was planning this concert, she was the first person I thought of because I wanted to invite some artists of national renown to Bowling Green because the theme this year is pop music.â€￾
Cage is hoping that adding Warwick’s name to the bill for the concert will be a springboard for future big-time events in Bowling Green, she said.
“Having an artist of that caliber to lend her talents to this is major, not only for the cause but for Bowling Green as well,â€￾ Cage said. “This concert has major implications with respect to Bowling Green emerging as an entertainment center, which I think it can.â€￾
While this year’s event may be hard to top, given Warwick’s star power, next year’s will continue to build on the series’ momentum, Cage said.
“I got it covered, I promise you,â€￾ she said.
WKU Media Relations Director Bob Skipper said that in addition to the concert, Warwick and Cage will be on campus for a few days to speak with music classes and are working on a salute to southcentral Kentucky veterans at the event.
The Athena Cage Scholarship Fund was established to help deserving students from Logan and Warren counties and the Delafield Community Center attend Western, Skipper said.
Students not awarded a scholarship through Delafield must be enrolled in music-related fields to be eligible, he said.
“A $50,000 pledge from Ms. Cage is being matched with $50,000 from the state’s Regional University Excellence Trust Fund to endow the scholarship,â€￾ Skipper said. “It’s a great program that helps some people who really need it.â€￾
Tickets for the benefit concert go on sale June 22 at several Bowling Green area locations, including all South Central Bank branches in Bowling Green, Glasgow and Franklin; the Logan County Chamber of Commerce; the National Corvette Museum and the Western box office. Reserved seat tickets are $75 each, reserved lawn seats are $25 each and general admission tickets are $10 each.
Cage said she is hoping for a big crowd.
“I want the crowd to be spilling out onto I-65, that’s how full it’s going to be,â€￾ she said. “How often are you going to get the chance to see an artist like Ms. Warwick, not to mention me, for $10?â€￾
— More information is available online at www.athenacageevents.com, www.southcentralbank.com, www.wku.edu and www.tourism@bg.ky.net.
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

Dionne Warwick to join R'ville's Cage in BG concert

By Joanie Baker-Staff Reporter

Though there is a temptation to go star struck when an individual first makes it big and starts meeting the people they've idolized since they can remember, Russellville native Athena Cage said her humble roots and reserved, shy nature allowed her to be herself.

"Even though I was turning cart wheels on the inside, I was playing it cool on the outside," Cage said. "The first time I went into the studio with Keith Sweat to record our duo, I was a bundle of nerves.

"This business can make it hard to stay grounded, and it's easy to become flighty. But coming from a small town has helped me stay grounded."

Cage, who is best known for her duet with Keith Sweat "Nobody," and her solo "All or Nothing" from the Save the Last Dance movie soundtrack, will be performing during a concert in Bowling Green on Aug. 28.

It is the second of five annual concerts that will fund the Athena Cage Scholarship Fund created to assist students from the Delafield Community Center (in Bowling Green), Bowling Green, Russellville, Warren and Logan County who attend Western Kentucky Univeristy.

This year the concert's theme is pop music, and Cage will be joined by the R&B legend Dionne Warwick. Warwick was the first black female pop and soul singer to gain international attention, and to perform in front of the Queen of England in 1968.

The second most charted female in the past 40 years has joined Cage's performance because she shares an interest in helping others receive higher education. Cage said she's a workaholic and a role model.

"She is quite possibly the hardest working woman in show business," Cage said. "Just last night she landed in town from Germany, and today she's going with me to some of the stations. I look at her, and despite all of her success over the years, she's still so gracious to her fans. Those are the examples to go by."
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

:D warbachavid;

Well I am only guessing, Dionne will sing, "Message To Michael" at the concert.

'Kentucky Blue Bird' :)
Take care;

Vincent
westgate1

After you who could it be?

Post by westgate1 »

Guys who else works harder than Dionne? I can't not think of any singers who tour as much as this lady!! Thanks Warbachavid!!