2 Underrated Gems!

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

2 Underrated Gems!

Post by Steve Schenck »

I've been listening to a number of Burt tunes and Dionne recordings on YouTube lately, and I can't get over how wonderful "Walk the Way You Talk" and "Be Aware" are! Until recently, I had never heard "Walk..." sung. My only acquaintance with it was Burt's instrumental version from his 1974(?) album. And I had never heard "Be Aware" till someone pointed me to Streisand's recording on YouTube. What fabulous pieces! "Walk..." is SO influenced by the Brazilian trends and so delicious. I wish more were done with it. And I would love to hear a Michael McDonald or Beyonce tackle it... Likewise "Be Aware." I mean, lyrically and musically, it's Burt and Hal at their supreme best. Unfortunately, the circumstances at the time of the song's original release didn't make for a good commercial marketing of it, but it should not lie fallow on YouTube or in some vault. Someone with know-how and clout needs to get this beautiful piece out there. I wish Burt had redone it and included it on "At This Time." It certainly fits the sentiments and mood of that great album. I we will have to wait for Burt's passing for people who are in a position to do something, to in fact do something. This stuff is gold and powerful; it moves me like few other pieces of contemporary music do. I just wish more folks could/would hear it as I do. Steve
Bruce Bernard Williams

Two additional versions of "Be Aware"

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

I have two other versions of "Be Aware". One version (which I believe to be the original) is by the Delightfully Different Dionne Warwick and the other version is by the late, great singer/songwriter Laura Nyro. I hope that you get the chance to hear both of these versions because they are truly gems! And, I also agree that "Walk The Way You Talk" is also a true gem. I had it on vinyl when it was first released but am looking forward to getting it on the CD that was released last year. There are a number of Burt/Hal's "gems" that I run into from record store to record store. For instance, I recently purchased one by Big Maybelle (a Scepter recording artist from the 60's) and I couldn't believe it! She did a version of "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" and also a non-Bacharach song entitled "Oh Lord, What Are You Doing To Me?" that was also recorded by Dionne in the early 60's. I am always on the hunt for hidden gems and hard-to-find rarities by Burt and thanks to this forum and all the people who share their findings I am able to be exposed to more and more of Burt's magic.
BachtoBacharach

Playlist

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Here is a You-Tube link to Dibotis's Dionne Warwick channel. The channel has a playlist of 74 of Warwick's Bacharach recordings from the 60s and 70s. It is full of info on each recording as well. Be Aware by Dionne Warwick is there, as well as some really rare stuff. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dibotis
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Hi Bruce, As a huge fan of the very much missed Laura Nyro, I couldn't agree with you more that her version of "Be Aware" is an absolute gem. It is on the last CD she was working on before her untimely passing, entitled "Angel In The Dark", which was released in 2001. The CD also includes Ms. Nyro's version of "Walk On By". She had recorded many vocals even though she was very ill, then she passed away, and the CD was finished by some great New York musicians like Will Lee, Bashiri Johnson, Bernard Purdie and John Tropea.

I miss her and her musical vision, but her recorded legacy is a treasure. Like Burt Bacharach, Laura Nyro has a unique and singular musical point of view.
Martyn

Walk the Way You Talk

Post by Martyn »

The first version of 'Walk the Way You Talk' that I heard was by Sergio Mendes and Brazil '77. It's my favourite version, though I have not heard Dionne's.

The track appears on their 1973 album titled 'Love Songs' which is available on CD.

Martyn.
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Martyn-Here is the link to Bacharach/David's Walk the Way You Talk as recorded by Dionne Warwick in 1970.

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Thanks for that!

Martyn.
blueonblue

Walk The Way You Talk.......

Post by blueonblue »

Burt's version........

"blue"