Las Vegas May 11 Play List

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Laura

Las Vegas May 11 Play List

Post by Laura »

I attended the concert on May 11 at the Las Vegas Hilton Hotel (flew in from Baltimore). The show was in an auditorium with a stage and rows of seats. (I was in the 5th row!) There were two jumbo screens on the sides. In this program Burt Bacharach performed with his musicians (no orchestra). Burt played the piano and conducted the music. The three back up singers sang the medleys and Burt sang later in the program (I indicated where) while playing the piano. Burt said that since it was Mother’s Day, he would do more of the older songs and none of the political songs. This was the order of the program that night:

What the World Needs Now Is Love

Medley:
Don’t Make Me Over
Walk On By
This Guy’s In Love With You
I Say A Little Prayer
Trains & Boats & Planes
Wishin’ & Hopin’
Always Something There To Remind Me

Medley:
One Less Bell To Answer
I’ll Never Fall In Love Again
Only Love Can Break A Heart
Do You Know the Way To San Jose

Solo by Josie James: Anyone Who Had A Heart
Solo by Donna Taylor: Are You Falling Out Of Love (written with Jerry Leiber, sung by Aretha Franklin)
Solo by John Pagano: God Give Me Strength (written with Elvis Costello)

First four hit songs:
Magic Moments
“The way you smile at me” (I don’t know the title)
The Blob (written for the movie “The Blob” starring Steve McQueen in his first role)
Tower Of Strength

Solo by Donna Taylor: Close to You

From the CD “At This Time”: In Our Time (instrumental)

Medley:
Make It Easy On Yourself
On My Own

Movie Medley:
The Look of Love (sung by Burt)
Arthur’s Theme
What’s New Pussycat
April Fools
Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head (sung by Burt)
Liberty Valance
Making Love
Wives & Lovers (sung by Burt)
Alfie (sung by Burt)
A House Is Not A Home (sung by Burt)

Solo by Josie James: Who Will Speak For Love (written with Tim Rice)
(Side note: I heard this song performed for the first time in Sydney, Australia in July 2007.)

That’s What Friends Are For

Encore:
Solo by John Pagano: Any Day Now
What the World Needs Now Is Love

Second encore:
Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head (audience sing along)

After the first medley, the pedals on the piano became disconnected and had to be reconnected. To fill the time, Burt told a story to the audience about how his mother made him take piano lessons.

The Las Vegas Hilton Hotel was a very convenient location with a monorail stop right at the hotel.

I got to shake Burt’s hand during the applause and talk to the singers after the show. I'll report back after the June 7 show in Princeton NJ!!

Laura
vincent.cole

Re: Las Vegas May 11 Play List

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Laura;

Thank you very much for your report on the concert!

I will see you in New Jersey & Maryland in June. :!:

Take care mon ami.

Vincent
Alvina

Re: Las Vegas May 11 Play List

Post by Alvina »

Hi Laura,
I was hoping to meet you at the Hilton on the 11th of May. Barbara and I were in the second row center and it was great. There are really no bad seats in the theatre.......it's very intimate.
I so appreciate you posting all the songs that were performed. I am never with it enough to write it all down.
Barbara and I both lost our mom's within months of each other. Mine died 3 days after Mother's day last year and hers about 5 months ago so when Burt was speaking of his he did get a bit teary which i have never seen him do we both wanted to cry.
It was so nice to have that wonderful music in any case.
Earlier in the day you should have seen us trying to get that cake over to the theatre. Sue was there to take it backstage.
We took a cab from the MGM Grand so it was quite aways over there. They told us it was completely edible except for the keys and we were a nervous wreck with every bump expecting those legs to collapse lol. It was getting rather soft by the time we got a cab etc. We are getting way too old for all the anxiety. It was a true labor of love in any case.
Thanks again for you great post and hope to meet up one day.
Love to you,
Alvina