Burt and Ella?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

Burt and Ella?

Post by Steve Schenck »

Just tonight, I was watching a terrific program on PBS here in DC about Ella Fitzgerald. I was wondering - Does anyone know if she ever recorded any of Burt's music? I would love to have heard her take on "A House Is Not a Home" or "Make It Easy On Yourself" or "I Just Have to Breathe" and any number of other tunes. Please share if you know. Thanks! Steve
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Steve,
Groovy research project! ...so far I found "I SAy A Little Prayer" by Ella...
let's see what else I can dig up.

Steveo

Addendum: Looks like she widely covered Burt and Hal:
Wives And Lovers
This Girls in Love with You
I'll Never Fall in Love AGain
Raindrops
Close To You
A House Is Not A Home
Alfie
Make It Easy On Yourself

Steveo
Apparently, Burt was just about the only game in town in the early 70's as far as the new "Gershwin" or "Cole Poter" - lots of longtime singers "updated" their songbook and records with Burt and Hal stuff, as well as Beatles tunes, roughly from about 1965 to 1971.
steveo_1965

I Confess...

Post by steveo_1965 »

I Confess...
I once bought a used Capitol album so I could hear Peggy Lee's version of "A Hard Day's Night"....it was pretty good!
In a similar fashion, if I see that Capitol album where Ella does some of these Burt songs, I'm gonna pick it up!

Steveo
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Hey Steve, In 1969 Ms. Fitzgerald released an album produced by the great Richard Perry (Barbra Streisand, Ringo Starr, Carly Simon, etc.) entitled, "Ella" where she recorded "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" and songs by Randy Newman, Harry Nilsson, Lennon-McCartney, Smokey Robinson and others. I don't think that it sold much, it must have been difficult for the public to accept a more "contemporary" Ella!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Groove,
Yes, I remember meeting Richard Perry back in the 70's. In doing this research, I see that Ella took her new repetriore of songs to Europe on tour..and it got mixed reaction....

Steveo
Steve Schenck

Thanks!

Post by Steve Schenck »

Hey, guys - Thanks for the research and info uncovered! I will have to try and get hold of some of Ella's BB/HD recordings. What a combination of talents! Steve
BachtoBacharach

Ella Fitzgerald I'll Never Fall In Love Again

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Ella's version of I'll Never Fall In Love Again:

steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

delightful! she proves she can be a pop singer par excellance, besides being a reknown jazz singer...the record should have been a hit...perhaps there were too many cover versions of this tune at the time...perhaps a re issue would be in order!

thanks for posting!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

"I'll Never Fall In Love Again"
Here's a strange clip of Donny Osmond and Lucie Arnaz serenading "Mom"
on "the Lucy Show" in the late 60's.
I believe this is a MArl Young arrangement, with Marl being shown on the piano...
Campy, but fun to watch one time...

Steveo

BachtoBacharach

Strange Clip

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Strange indeed. This is from 1973-74 season according to the comments on the site. Some folks do Bacharach better than others. This is pretty campy!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

yeah, the Osmond-Arnaz clip is so bad....its fun to watch..so it's
from "Here's Lucy", not "The Lucy Show"...

By the way, there is another clip somewhere(i've never seen it) of Angie Dickinson doing one of her then husband's songs...("I'll Never Fall In love Again") on the Dean Martin Show....I wonder if anyone has seen this?

Steveo

Steveo