Love Song (in album Dionne) writer died

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

hereiam

Love Song (in album Dionne) writer died

Post by hereiam »

Dionne Warwick covered the song LOVE SONG (Lesley Duncan wrote and sang the original)
I love the song
Lesley died a few days ago (67 years of age)
Here's the original

LOVE SONG

The guitar picking is very tasteful

grooverider

Re: Love Song (in album Dionne) writer died

Post by grooverider »

hereiam, Sorry to hear of Lesley Duncan's passing. "Love Song" was published by Blue Seas/Casa David Music and another great version was done Ms.Peggy Lee, released in 1972.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Sorry to hear about Lesley Duncan's passing....
Best to the family, friends, and fans of Lesley.

Steveo
Last edited by steveo_1965 on Mon May 17, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

When I read of Lesley,s passing - I was reminded of some banter between Dionne and her son David Elliott when they performed here in San Diego a few years ago...... At that time - Dionne was promoting her upcoming "My Friends and Me" project which she planned to do in 2 installments (One with female duet partners and the other - singing with male vocalists). Thankfully - only the first came to fruition! .... At that time - you may recall - Dionne talked of approaching fellow singers about recording duets with her - doing their "favorite Dionne Warwick song"! ...... She asked David to pick his favorite and it turned out to be - "Love Song" by Lesley Duncan which she and David performed together that evening. ....... With all due respect to the late Ms. Duncan - to me this song is so much in the category of forgettable "easy listening" and totally unchallenging for a vocalist with Warwick's capabilities. Considering all of Dionne's "classic Bacharach/David" masterpieces - I was astonished by her son's choice of a favorite! ... JUSY MY OPINION!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Was Dave Elliott her conductor?

Steveo
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Kathy Rubbicco was (and still is) Dionne's conductor - her son David Elliott sang 3 or 4 duets with her at that time. ..... In recent concerts (when he performs with her) - they usually sing "I Say A Little Prayer" and "That's What Friends Are For" as a duet!
hockneyboy

Post by hockneyboy »

I have a Bacharach five disk compilation album released by the Burt Bacharach Music Group which features a version of 'Love Song' by Lani Hall. It is the only song not written by Burt. I was wondering if any one knows why it is on there or what is Burts connection to the song /recording?
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

hockneyboy wrote:I have a Bacharach five disk compilation album released by the Burt Bacharach Music Group which features a version of 'Love Song' by Lani Hall. It is the only song not written by Burt. I was wondering if any one knows why it is on there or what is Burts connection to the song /recording?
I may be mistaken, and perhaps I should check this first, but wasn't Lani Hall married to Herb Alpert? Burt was good friends with Herb Alpert and was on Alpert's "A&M Music" label. A&M stood for Alpert and (Jerry) Moss. So that's probably the connection.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

I believe the connection is that "Love Song" is published by Blue Seas/Casa David music which is why the 5 disc "The Music Of Burt Bacharach" has it, as it is the only non Bacharach compostition.

I've noticed that that box set has different song selections for that 5th disc, due (I believe) to the fact that that box set has been released not just once, but at different times in different years.
My copy has for the last song on that fifth set, "I'm On My Way" by Dionne Warwick. Other box sets have a different list of songs and do not include "I'm On My Way". I've seen some box sets for sale without a fifth disc, only four.
This particular box set was released in 2000. Does anyone know if that's the reason for the difference in song selections on that 5th disc?