"Christmas Day"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Dennis Webb

"Christmas Day"

Post by Dennis Webb »

Over the holidays I got to hear Burt & Hal's "Christmas Day" song sung by Johnny Mathis. I was familiar with the performance on the "Promises, Promises" soundtrack, but this was my first hearing of Mathis' version, which is just superb. It's about 3:24 long and has a very lush orchestration. I think it's still "in print" on a Johnny Mathis Christmas album on CD. I just checked and Apple's Music Store also has it for 99 cents. The other music download services may also carry it.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I loved that song from the first time I heard it -- and that was when I went to see the Broadway play "Promises, Promises" for which it was written. Jerry Orbach was the star of that show and won a Tony Award for his performance. Sadly, he died today from prostate cancer.

I always felt that Burt & Hal's "Christmas Day" would become a Christmas "standard". For some reason, it hasn't, but it's a great Christmas song and I'm sure Johnny Mathis did it justice.

Post by Guest »

Some thoughts on ""Christmas Day"...first of all, I love this song.
It's because I'm a fan of Burt and Hal's. Those who are not, or don't listen
for that style of writing(the unusual time changes, etc-the time changes are in the melody incorporated into 3/4) would have to
acclaimate to this song more...it's not quite as universal or easily whistled
or hummed as White Christmas, etc.The lyrics are not quite as simplistic
as well(more of a thoughtful message)
Perhaps this is the reason it has not become a standard...but i like it very much!