Only the Strong, Only the Brave

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

Only the Strong, Only the Brave

Post by Steve Schenck »

I recently re-read notes about this song from Dominic Serene's book. I don't have any recording of it but was able to find Dionne's version of it on YouTube. What a terrific song! I love the way it starts, kind of happy-go-lucky, and then integrates phrases of such high drama and emotion. What orchestration! Music like that just doesn't seem to come around much anymore!
hereiam

Re: Only the Strong, Only the Brave

Post by hereiam »

I totally agree with you.
It started with a happy and carefree mood.
But then to our surprise the chorus part is so melancholically
beautiful (and Dionne's youthful voice delivered the feeling so well)

That's why BB will remain my top fav. (besides Jimmy Webb)
composers all my life
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Steve, here's another Bacharach & David "hidden gem" from the sublime Miss Warwick !

"blue"
Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

Thanks, Blue. I love that song, too. Thankfully, I have a recording of it from the 3-CD "Look of Love" set. I wish all the older Dionne albums and all their tracks were available. So many great tunes, a good number of which rarely get play anymore; it's impossible to keep enjoying them unless you've got the old vinyls.
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Steve, All the old vinyl albums are available on CD from Rhino, Collector's Choice and Spy. Included are such titles as On Stage and In Movies, The Magic of Believing, and others. Most are also available on MP3.