burt and dionne in great shape

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

gabba

burt and dionne in great shape

Post by gabba »

take this!!!
bye GABBA
gabba

Re: burt and dionne in great shape

Post by gabba »

here it is,sorry!!!bye again Gabba
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Gabba;

Thanks for posting this!

I think it's the year when Burt & Dionne got back together!

Take care mon ami.

Vincent
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

By the way Dick Clark was talking on the introduction, I'm wondering if this was their first tv appearance back in the spotlight together...The communication, facially between Burt and Dionne makes me think this was so.
The opening fanfare...brass and high strings were fantastic!
Steveo
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

I saw this when in originally aired in about the Summer or early fall of 1985. I don't believe That's What Friends Are For had been released as a single yet, believe it came out shortly thereafter perhaps in October of that year. I think you are right about this being their first appearance together since their split. They worked together in 1984 for Finder of Lost Loves which was their reunion tune for Aaron Spelling's TV show of the same name. They have performed together during the years but it seems that they don't do it near often enough. There is obviously such a chemistry and affection between them and Burt has referred to Dionne as "my sista" in interviews together. He and Hal David's pet name for Dionne was Charlie and that's what they called her when they recorded together in the 60s. Since Burt and Dionne are both up in years (Burt will be 81 and Dionne will be 69 this year) I think everyone would love to see one more Burt/Dionne release of original material, but as time goes by it appears that there is little chance of that. Although age has dimished Dionne's upper range substantially, her phrasing and control haven't suffered nearly as much, her unique sound remains and Bacharach could do some amazing things for her that take all that into account. Sadly, I believe it will be a dream unfulfilled. My wish was for her to record Burt/Elvis' This House Is Empty Now but the time for that was 10 or more years ago and I believe the vocal range required for tune would prove too much for her to even contemplate now. What she could have done with that song around 1970 or so would have been amazing but to wonder such is an exercise in futility, alas!