Burt in Brazil (Monday Show)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Tom Bragg

Burt in Brazil (Monday Show)

Post by Tom Bragg »

Hi Everyone!

I would like to comment with you Burt’s show last night here in Porto Alegre.

It was amazing! An excellent show!

The general structure was the same with the medleys (hits in general; four first hits; and movies), but there were some different points:

1 – God, Give me Strength was included. Mention to Elvis Costello made audience applaud.
2 – Two songs from At This Time: In Our Time (fantastic trumpet solo) and, later on, Go Ask Shakespeare.
3 – Falling Out of Love.
4 – Every Other Our (Comme in Ogni Ora): Burt presented it as a special surprise for the Brazilian audience. So, now I can tell you that it is certainly a song composed by Burt. By the way, he mentioned his new partner Stephen Sader and said they are making a lot of new work together… At least for me this was the first time this song was sung completely in English.
5 – Before playing That’s What Friends Are For, he said it was for his two new friends: President Lula (of Brazil) and “my President” Barack Obama.
6 – When returning for his first encore (there were two as usual), the chosen hit to start with was Baby It’s You. After that, the new and sensational version of Anyday Now. For the second encore: What the World Needs Now and, of course, sing-along Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head.

Theater was almost fool though it was Monday. Audience clapped enthusiastically.

After the show, as always, Burt was very kind to appear in pictures and sign autographs for a bunch of fans, including my whole family. After all, this has been his first appearance in our city.
vincent.cole

Re: Burt in Brazil (Monday Show)

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Tom;

Thanks very much for sharing the joy of the Burt Concert! :D
Take care;

Vincent
rein53

Post by rein53 »

Tom, I have a friend who lives in Port Alegre. She is a psychiatrist. Her name is Lais Knijnik. Have you heard of her? Lynn
Tom Bragg

Post by Tom Bragg »

Hi Lynn!

I don't know Lais. But I know other people with the same family name (Knijnik).
Maybe they are relatives. Did Lais watch Burt's show?

Bye,
Tom
Tom Bragg

Post by Tom Bragg »

Hi Everybody!

Thought it might be interesting to show you two pictures of Burt, my daughter Monica and myself.
The first one was taken in 1999 in Punta Del Este, Uruguay. The other last April in Porto Alegre, Brazil.
I asked Burt to sign the old one after the show and he told me he wanted to meet again in ten years for a new picture.
We all agreed on that.

Bye,
Tom
Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

Tom, you mentioned a sensational new version of "Any Day Now." Please, tell us more about it. This is the first I've heard of a "new version." Details appreciated. steve
Tom Bragg

Post by Tom Bragg »

Hi Steve!

The version I referred to is basically the one of the "Live in Sidney" album.
It is a "remake" in a slower tempo and I do like it very much.
John Pagano's performance and the final trumpet that night were sensational.

Bye,
Tom