Dionne compilation

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

acshore

Dionne compilation

Post by acshore »

I need help... I'm including 11 tracks below I wish to add to a definitive Dionne compilation. Depending on what you guys chose, I shall use the most popular picked songs for the collection.

WINDOW WISHING
A predecessor of "I Say a Little Prayer" it charted #6, and peaked at #3 on Detroit's WKNR station, on the chart for two weeks in 1964; played directly off Warwick's "Here I Am" album.

DON'T GO BREAKING MY HEART
First as a instrumental by Bacharach with session singers, this appeared on a budget hits compilation "I Say a Little Prayer & Other Hits" on Flashback Records, originally on Dionne's "Here I Am" LP.

HERE WHERE THERE IS LOVE
Originally to be chosen as the a-side, Dionne and Florence Greenberg decided Warwick's cover of "Message to Michael" was best suited; despite objection by Bacharach & David. The unedited instrumental/choir bridge of the song was finally issued in 2001 on Rhino's "Love Songs." It features Cissy Houston on backing vocals.

THE BEGINNING OF LONELINESS
With an intro that simulates water ripples with the restrained effects of a guitar, this powerful ballad began to climb the charts almost immediately, in end to remain on the Pop charts at #79 for three weeks in March, 1967, as well as the Cash Box for two weeks at #95, and R&B at #44 for about the same. Radio stations were instructed to flip the single to promote Dionne's version of "Alfie" in order to capitalise on the film's success. A hit that got away!

MacARTHUR PARK
Despite being a hit for both Richard Harris and Donna Summer, several artists recorded turnicated versions of the song; recording just the middle section. Warwick was one of them. Recorded in the mid-to-late '60's, Dionne did this tune probably as an intended filler, with arrangement by veteran musican Joe Mele, and produced by Burt. It finally surfaced on the 2-LP compilation of outtakes "From Within," in April, 1972. True, it does sound outdated, but the center of the song is Dionne's superior vocal and the majestic flute which can be heard in the intro and closing of the song. It is something you may think of hearing in a prolific Paramount Picture back in the day. Nonetheless, Warwick's version has never been recognised. It also features sister Dee Dee on backing vocals. Take a listen!

LONELINESS REMEMBER WHAT HAPPINESS FORGETS
A long-time fan favorite, this song appeared on Bacharach's "Kraft Music Hall" featuring he and Warwick at A&R Studios in action! It has also been cited as one of singer Morrissey's songs that makes him "happy."

THE WINE IS YOUNG
Dionne herself stated it is one of her all-time favorite songs, and famed journalist, poet Nick Tosches review this song in a 1972 edition of "Fusion rock magazine, discussing Warwick's album 'I'll Never Fall in Love Again" from which this song appears. "The best Warwick album, the one that should be copped as an introductory taste of the artist in question is I'll Never Fall In Love Again (along with Golden Hits Part 1 and Part 2), which not only has the great title tune of the same name but also the great "The Wine Is Young," which trucks such mustard as The wine is young/our dreams are old/and it hurts me more than I can bear/to go on. This stuff is nifty; getting into Dionne Warwick is like finding buried treasure..."

MAKE IT EASY ON YOURSELF with B.J. Thomas
Intended for her "Very Dionne" album, it was recorded in December, 1969, only to be scrapped for Warwick's live version recorded at Garden State. This version boasts a classic Bacharach arrangement, with the closing of horn and all!

KNOWING WHEN TO LEAVE
Serene Dominic stated Warwick's version would have been more ample of choice over here single "Let Me Go to Him," and he probably was right. This is from the Broadway musical, "Promises, Promises."

CHECK OUT TIME
An often sought-out track from Warwick's "Very Dionne" album, it is one of Dionne's least favorite songs, which she said, "...just didn't feel like me." Serene Dominic has often praised the dramatic MOR tune as amazing, a song which deals head-on about a woman feeling from an abusive relationship.

WALK THE WAY YOU TALK
A fan favorite which was featured on Warwick's "Very Dionne" LP, that fans often seek out as one of Dionne and Burt's most underrated tracks.

Let me know, guys!
Aaron
ron hertel

Re: Dionne compilation

Post by ron hertel »

"Who Is Gonna Love Me" from the late 60's LP "Promises Promises"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Aaron,
I dont know about these particular tunes being the most popular,
but they certainly are some of his "best" (I like a lot of his B
sides...
Are you sure youre not Burt Bacharach Jr? You have great taste in music!
Steveo

:)
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

ron hertel wrote:"Who Is Gonna Love Me" from the late 60's LP "Promises Promises"
I know the song very well and loved it when it appeared on one of Dionne's albums... but it's not from "Promises, Promises". "Who Is Gonna Love Me?" is one of my all-time favorites!
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Enormous BB Fan: Point of Clarification
It's from Dionne Warwick's album entitled "Promises Promises" - not the Broadway play!
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

ron hertel wrote:Enormous BB Fan: Point of Clarification
It's from Dionne Warwick's album entitled "Promises Promises" - not the Broadway play!
I'm listening to Dionne sing it as I'm typing this. It never gets old. It's just soooooooooo great! And thanks for the clarification. I didn't remember that it was on that particular album. Sorry for the confusion.
acshore

Post by acshore »

Steve_o, thank you so much for your kind notation.

I don't know if you (or anyone else is cyberspace) have listened to these two tracks, but if you get a chance ...do!

THE BEGINNING OF LONELINESS is probably the only low-charting single of Dionne's that with one listen, you can tell it's hit material. I find it a shame that despite her giving us a wonderful reading of "Alfie," this song wasn't heard on more car radios or in the isles of supermarkets. DJ were instructed to flip this to promote "Alfie" instead. It was only allowed just three weeks on Billboard.

MacARTHUR PARK has been grately overdun and butchered by so many artists. Just listen to Dionne's take, please. I beg you. You will not be disappointed!

Two links to these songs are below; take a listen.

Replies appreciated :)

Aaron

http://www.imeem.com/dionnewarwick/musi ... oneliness/

MacARTHUR PARK
http://www.4shared.com/file/129051417/e ... _Park.html
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Have you considered "Who Gets The Guy" for your compilation, Aaron? Dionne's vocals are breathtaking as she navigates through the incredibly quirky and quintessentially Bacharach melody...it's one song that I can never get out of my head after even one listen! It really epitomizes the "Bacharach sound" to this listener!

And I second any and all votes for "Knowing When To Leave", one of the most sublime Bacharach/David songs and productions. Bacharach's score for PROMISES, PROMISES radically changed the sound of Broadway (influencing even the great Stephen Sondheim in his landmark musical COMPANY; Sondheim employed orchestrator Jonathan Tunick and an offstage vocal group to create a sound very much an extension of PROMISES) and his recordings of the score's songs are, of course, unmatched.

I've also always loved "Check Out Time," despite Dionne's dislike of the song. Hal turned out some of his most profound lyrics in his "socially conscious" period and proved himself adaptable to the changing musical landscape; I'll cherish his writing in "Check Out Time," "The Balance of Nature," "Paper Mache," etc. etc.

Is your compilation intended for personal use, Aaron, or for an enterprising record label?

All best,

Joe
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

I would definitely include "Dream Sweet Dreamer" in your compilation. That particular song epitomizes what Burt said about her voice: "Her voice has the mystery like the mystery of ships in bottles".
acshore

Post by acshore »

Thanks for the comments, Joe...

I actually am doing a bit of both; personal use, but also, Dionne is appearing in San Francisco in February, 2010; where I reside. I really resent that no good compilation has ever been assembled on a single CD. It is possible to do so, but one must be very picky, and seek out the best of her tracks. Including her top hits first, then chosing the bonus tracks. I plan to see if she'd agree with the track listening, and try to possibly market it exclusively on her website. So far, I have chosen the following hits, and listed are the three bonus tracks I have definitively decided to use:

HIT TRACKS:

DON'T MAKE ME OVER [unedited 3:25 version]
ANYONE WHO HAD A HEART
WALK ON BY
REACH OUT FOR ME
MESSAGE TO MICHAEL
ALFIE
I SAY A LITTLE PRAYER
(THEME FROM) VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
DO YOU KNOW THE WAY TO SAN JOSE?
PROMISES, PROMISES
THIS GIRL'S IN LOVE WITH YOU
I'LL NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN
THEN CAME YOU
ONCE YOU HIT THE ROAD
I'LL NEVER LOVE THIS WAY AGAIN
DEJA VU
NO NIGHT SO LONG
HEARTBREAKER
LOVE POWER

here's the bonus tracks I've so far chosen:

HERE WHERE THERE IS LOVE [unedited 2001 version]
LONELINESS REMEMBERS WHAT HAPPINESS FORGETS

I'm also thinking of an inclusion of Warwick's sessions with Tony Camillo; most likely her remake of "Don't Say I Didn't Tell You So."

Btw, has anyone listened to the clips I put above?
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Aaron,
Have you considered this one ?

"blue"
PS
Thank you for the clips, and good luck with your compilation ! :)
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

There are two compilations that are interesting: "The Definitive Dionne Warwick" and the "limited edition" 3rd cd that accompanies the import version of Burt Bacharach's "The Look of Love" retrospective.
I really like that 2nd cd as it contains hits ("Promises, Promises", "Message to Michael" and "Are You There (With Another Girl)" but also some album cuts: "The Wine is Young", "Here Where There Is Love", "Who is Gonna Love Me", "Paper Mache", "Dream Sweet Dreamer", "One Less Bell to Answer" (one of my favorites) and "Another Night", among others.
That first cd has all of those that you list except the bonus cuts and " No Night So Long" and " Deja Vu". It is a 2 cd set and actually both cd's are import cd's.
Best of luck in your endeavor!
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Aaron, in reference to Tony Camillo's sessions which includes her remake of "Don't Say I Didn't Tell You So", I distinctly remember that there were two versions of it when the album "Sensitive Sounds Of Dionne Warwick" came out around 1965. I would like to know more about those sessions and if anyone else remembers that there were two versions of that song--I think that there maybe was a 45 version that was just a wee bit different than the album version.
acshore

Post by acshore »

The Tony Camillo sessions were done in the early 70's. And as I recall, no alternate version of "Don't Say.." exists. I'm pretty sure it is the same mix as on the 45.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

AHA! ........ An alternative version of "Don't Say ..." DOES EXIST"! .... It's "totally different"and is included on a compilation CD released in 1999 by the Venture Music Group Inc. and licensed by Tony Camillo and Gene Serina. It is one of 12 songs on the CD (7 by Dionne, 2 by Gladys Knight, and 1 by each of the following: Vanessa Williams, Sandra Feva and Freda Payne). "Don't Say ..." almost sounds like a demo complete with backup vocals and instruments and so unlike the version we're familiar with - 35 seconds longer as well! Must have been recorded in the early 60's as Dionne's voice sounds like it did (very youthful) on her very first album: "Presenting Dionne Warwick"
The other 6 Warwick tracks on this compilation are: "You Are A Song", "In Between The Heartaches", "Best Thing That Ever Happened", "Loving You Is Just An Old Habit", "Seeing You Again" and "The Need To Be".
I picked up the CD while on a business trip to Birmingham, AL back in 2000 at a tiny music store outside of town. I've never seen it again anywhere.

The CD's title: Dionne Warwick & Friends - Divas of Soul (not to be confused with the Concord released CD 3 years ago). ....... Only Dionne's photos appear on the cover art and they are taken from her late 80's release "Reservations For Two". It may be available on Amazon or e-bay!

Just realized that except for "Don't Say..." - the remaining 6 Warwick tracks are included in a 2 CD compilation on a rather obscure label "mcps" entitled "Most Famous Hits - Dionne Warwick - The Album". Think my brother picked it up for me in Australia; however, I have seen it for sale on some websites.