Stale 2

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

Stale 2

Post by nowmedical »

OK here's the second of my week of posts. It concerns The Look of Love. Why is the Burt & Ron Isley mid-1990's version so different?

Burt has added a whole new tune for the introduction, and a new vocal section later on ("don't ever go, don't ever go; I love you so much, and I need you, don't ever go"). A bit like adding a big extension to an already luxurious house!

Why did he do this re-write at that time? Has anyone heard it previously? And why doesn't he use the new version in his concerts nowadays?
steveo_1965

Re: Stale 2

Post by steveo_1965 »

Nowmedica,
I know you probably realize the intro on ROn Isley's version is a variation from the last lines of the song.."DOnt Ever GO"...he changed one note...and maybe a chord or 2...
I'm wondering if the Chris Botti version uses that...I can't remember..
Steveo
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

The "genius" of Burt Bacharach and Ron Isley.....

"blue"
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I believe this was first used in the Isn`t She Great soundtrack, a trove of self-reference and allusion.
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Thanks. I gather Ron did some concerts with Burt which were on YouTube till deleted a while ago - did anyone go to any of these?
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Only saw the recording sessions at Capitol Records, not the concerts.
Steveo