Dionne compilation

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

ron hertel

Re: Dionne compilation

Post by ron hertel »

just checked Amazon.com and there is one new copy of the "Divas of Soul" compilation for $4.99. Don't expect a great version of "Don't Say ...." just an alternate version!
acshore

Post by acshore »

Actually, I did know an alternate version of "Don't Say..." existed. However, I think the original question posted about this song was that there were two different mixes. It has often been the case in history, many-a-time there are 45-mixes and album mixes. I believe it has to do with playing compatibility on radio verses home systems. Car radios often could only handle two-channel output for stereo, as opposed to home systems which would better glorify the song mixed from 4-track. Basically, they would take all stems and just mix them into a Left/Right; whereas on 33 1/3 rpm's you would here some instruments in the center along with the voice.

And the remake version which was just spoken of was done in the early 1970's with Tony Camillo; Warwick also did the original version of "The Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me" before Gladys Knight & The Pips would do it a year or so later. Dionne also rerecorded "In Between the Heartaches" with Camillo, as well... I must admit I do like the remake of "Heartaches" just as well as the original version done back in 1964. "Don't Say..." I feel is much better done on the remake, for that annoying 'whaa-'whaa' sound of the horn in the 1964 version put me off, and frankly, the song was too bland. Serene Dominic detests the remakes of both.
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

That 2-disc set, MOST FAMOUS HITS, is to be avoided unless you're a completist...it also has odd recordings that seem to be Dionne's original Scepter vocals overlaid on hideous synth-y backing tracks...how this "gray area" aberration even came to exist is a mystery!
steveoreno

Post by steveoreno »

Hello All,
I am new to this forum, but been reading it for years.
Who can tell me more about "I didn't mean to love you".One of the most powerful non B&D songs of Dionne's career. It should have been a smash hit, yet it was withdrawn from the play lists, and seldom heard...
From Reno, Nevada..thanks.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

steveoreno:
I recall hearing that song on the radio when it was released in 1976 and I immediately went out and purchased the 45rpm single (there was no "B" side - same song on both sides) - I couldn't wait for the album to be released - which never happened! ......... For some unexplained reason Warner Brothers withdrew the record - perhaps because nothing was "clicking" for Dionne at that time. I was pleased to see its CD debut on Rhino Records in 2001 "DIONNE WARWICK LOVE SONGS" ............ It is one of my favorite non-Bacharach "hidden treasures" ....... I'm certain there are many more unheard recordings in the vaults that we will hopefully have access to some day!
ron
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Welcome to the Forum, steveoreno! "I Didn't Mean To Love You" was pulled off the shelves as well as off the air for a reason that I can't remember. That reason was discussed on this Forum some time ago and I do remember that someone had mentioned that Helen Reddy did it first. When I first heard it on the radio back in 1976, I thought to myself "boy, I've never heard Dionne stretch out like that!". I was thinking that she did it "live" in the studio because her voice cracked a number of times. I too was pleased that it was finally released on the CD that was mentioned--the whole, unedited 6-minute version of it! Upon its release, I remember the DJ in OKC kept playing it over and over, just about every hour on the hour. He referred to her as the "delightfully different Dionne Warwick!". I still pull it out from time to time and whenever I play it, I play it really, really loud because she sings that song with so much conviction that I want the whole neighborhood to hear it. Hope to read more posts from you soon!
steveoreno

Post by steveoreno »

Thank You for the welcome and info...
I have seen Dionne scores of times over the years..startong in 1969 ( I was 14 ). I was also fortunate do see D and B together 3 times.
Any news on A Man and A Woman on CD with Isaac Hayes? I saw the concert 3 times...beyond words.
Best!
Steveoreno
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Welcome aboard! The song "I Didn't Mean To Love You" was originally done by Helen Reddy for her album "I Am Woman" and it was co-written by Karen Phillip and Artie Butler. I have always been a huge fan of Artie Butler and that song was definitely one of my favorites from that album. Being a big fan of Ms. Warwick, I ran out and got the 45 when it was released. It's on the Warner Brothers label and is listed as 5:50 long(!) and the flip side is a Willie Nelson (!) composition entitled, "He's Not For You". The release year is listed as 1976. Both songs were produced by Joe Porter, who has also worked with Gladys Knight & the Pips.
I don't rememeber the reason it was recalled (if that's the word), but the single disappeared very quickly. I've heard that that 45 is considered rare and worth some money, but I'm not sure of that. Like previously mentioned, it is now availabe on cd.
Again, welcome!