Burt and Carole in the 80`and 90`era

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Marcel

Burt and Carole in the 80`and 90`era

Post by Marcel »

LIstening to Burt and Carole wrote in the 80`and 90`.
There were great songs like Making Love, Split Desicion, In My Reality Over You, Love Aways, On My Own,Laura(I See You On The Radio), Heartlight, That`s What Friends are For (the instrumental version of Burt is still my favourite one!!), The Power Of Youre Love , Obsession and even the great Love Power!
In the present of today when you`ll here these gems then you realize the timeless of these great melodies that Burt and Carole together have written.
Next to Hal David, Carole is a great lyricist that suits with the quality of Burt`s music.
The only difference between Hal and Carole is that BURT used less time signature`s with the lyrics from Carole.
But as Burt said with the grammy awards from "that`s what friends are for".
Carole changed his writing of songs.
But in the present day, listening to BURT`s newer work he fell back to his melodic style in his early days.
But that doesn`bother me at all.
BURT is my hero and musical Maestro forever!

What are yourè opinion about this?

Kind Regards,
Marcel :D
Blair N. Cummings

Re: Burt and Carole in the 80`and 90`era

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I have to partially disagree. Leaving aside the lyricists` comparative qualities, I haven`t heard anything since Isn`t She Great and Painted From Memory that is as melodically inventive. Those certainly were "throw-backs" to Burt`s `60s style.The more recent efforts have, to my ear, been lacking precisely that quality.
But maybe I just haven`t heard enough of them.
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

I'm thrilled that, in 2009, we're still getting a fairly steady stream of new material from the Maestro, most recently Mario Biondi's "Something That Was Beautiful." But it's no insult to new collaborator Steven Sater to say that none of Burt's recent partners have brought that old magic back the way that Elvis Costello did on PFM; Elvis certainly challenged and engaged Burt to write in a style he claimed he no longer could, or would. All props to Burt for constantly looking forward...that said, his "1960s style" (if it's fair to call it that) is still so timeless and so unique that the PFM compositions immediately took their place in Burt's pantheon. I hope that future rumored collaborations between Burt & Elvis come to pass, including an album written for Diana Krall...but in the meantime, I can't wait for more Bacharach/Sater songs to come to light, and maybe even the remaining songs written with Brian Wilson. C'mon, Burt, our ears are anxiously waiting... :-)
Rio

Post by Rio »

I just want to mention a few additional songs that came to mind:

Time (Melissa Manchester)
Everchanging Times
Someone Else's Eyes
Walking Tall
Come In Ogni Ora (Sater) (the video of this live performance was removed...)
For The Children ("Burt Bacharach Live at the Sidney Opera House," 2 CDs)
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

My absolute favorite from that time period (1988) is Barbra Streisand's "Love Light", with Chuck Findley's breathtakingly beautiful and majestic trumpet solo. Ms. Streisand's vocal is just perfect for Carole Bayer Sager's lyrics...a truly stunning piece of music. A great Burt Bacharach & Carole Bayer Sager production.
Rio

Post by Rio »

I think I lent that CD to my mother. Love Light is very good indeed. What is the name of the other Bacharach song in that album? That's another good one too! (Duh...)
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Rio,
Could this be the song you're thinking of ?

"blue"
Rio

Post by Rio »

That's it! Thanks, Blue!
Now that you pointed us in the right direction, and for ease of reference, here's the link to Love Light:
hereiam

Post by hereiam »

Being grew up listening to music in the 60s/70s, I very much preferred music from that era
But there were some good moments from years after.
For instance, That album by Carole Bayer Sager at around 1981 is also my all time fav.
Also, the song from Isn't She Great by Vanessa Williams is really beautiful.
It was played in that special on BB in BBC Radio 2 a few years ago
Really wish I could hear it again. Can't find it on Youtube tough :?
Fussi

Post by Fussi »

I absolutely love Everchanging Times! It was written together with Bill Conti for the movie Baby Boom, which is one of my all time favorites.

Love, Mark
Fussi

Post by Fussi »

Marcel wrote:LIstening to Burt and Carole wrote in the 80`and 90`.
There were great songs like Making Love, Split Desicion, In My Reality Over You, Love Aways, On My Own,Laura(I See You On The Radio), Heartlight, That`s What Friends are For (the instrumental version of Burt is still my favourite one!!), The Power Of Youre Love , Obsession and even the great Love Power!
In the present of today when you`ll here these gems then you realize the timeless of these great melodies that Burt and Carole together have written.
Next to Hal David, Carole is a great lyricist that suits with the quality of Burt`s music.
The only difference between Hal and Carole is that BURT used less time signature`s with the lyrics from Carole.
But as Burt said with the grammy awards from "that`s what friends are for".
Carole changed his writing of songs.
But in the present day, listening to BURT`s newer work he fell back to his melodic style in his early days.
But that doesn`bother me at all.
BURT is my hero and musical Maestro forever!

What are yourè opinion about this?

Kind Regards,
Marcel :D

Hey Marcel!

Who recorded Making Love? I only know the version from Burt's last live album.

Mark
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Roberta Flack
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I just want to go on record here saying that I think Burt (and Carol, and with others) wrote some GREAT songs in the 80's (and afterwards, too). And I think the "Sometimes Late At Night" album is very much underrated. Burt wrote some very sophisticated music there (as in "Just Friends"), as well as "hit" material, such as "Easy To Love Again" and, in particular, "Stronger Than Before." If Burt had written "Stronger Than Before" in the 60's, Dionne would have had another smash with with it. "Timing is everything", they say.
Fussi

Post by Fussi »

BachtoBacharach wrote:Roberta Flack

Thanks, BachtoBacharach!
Fussi

Post by Fussi »

Today I get my copy of the I'm The One album by Roberta Flack. I bought it because of Making Love, which I think is a very underrated song with a lovely melody and beautiful chords.