Help Please! Song that sounds like Bacharach

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

island_native

Help Please! Song that sounds like Bacharach

Post by island_native »

This is driving me nuts. I was reminded recently of an old AM radio hit from my youth (I'm 43) that sounds kind of like What the World Needs Now but after searching through Burt's catalog I've come up empty. I think it may just sound like a Bacharach composition.

Unfortunately all I have is the tune humming in my mind, I can't think of any of the actual lyrics so that's why I'm stumped.

It's a soft sounding love song of course, similar to What the World Needs Now. It must be from the same general time period, I'm thinking late 60's early 70's. I believe it was a pretty big radio hit, but no luck looking through the Billboard charts either.

It has polished horns, piano and some strings I believe. I think there's a short soft trumpet/horn solo as well. The singers voice sounds similar to Burt's or perhaps BJ Thomas.

Here's a wild stab at some lyrics.

The chorus begins with something that sounds like "I need your love" or similar with four syllables. Like

"I need your love, and want you by my side"

Not much to go on, sorry. But like I said I believe it was a heavily played hit back in the day, so maybe someone might have a guess? Thank you!
Joan NYC

Re: Help Please! Song that sounds like Bacharach

Post by Joan NYC »

Here's an idea.
How about Herb Alpert performing Burt's This Guy's In Love With You?
Soft, romantic.
Right time frame, late 60s. 67- 68?
Was played on the AM radio stations a lot. A big hit.
Horn solo, strings, piano.
Voice sort of Burtish-BJish?
And the words, "I need your love. I want your love."

Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

Or maybe, "How Can I Be Sure"? It was NOT a Burt song, but always sounded to me like it could have been. I think it hit the charts in the early - mid 70s, was in that slightly jazzy 3/4 time, had strings and horns. I can't recall now who the singer was; I believe he fronted a group.
island_native

Post by island_native »

Nailed it! Thanks!

Written by Bacharach/Hal David and recorded by Herb Alpert. On the Billboard 100 at #7 in 1968. So I missed in Burt's catalog and the charts. I guess that can happen when some of the more memorable chorus lyrics are not part of the song title. Good title though, no complaints!

Herb Alpert surfaced in my desperate search, but I ignored him because I knew there was singing and mistakenly thought Herb didn't sing. Now I know better!
Good song, thanks again for your help! And thanks Burt for another gem!

Full lyrics below, I never would have tracked this down by the lyrics, so I'm counting myself lucky!

You see this guy, this guy's in love with you
Yes I'm in love who looks at you the way I do
When you smile I can tell we know each other very well

How can I show you I'm glad I got to know you 'cause
I've heard some talk they say you think I'm fine
Yes im in love and what I'd do to make you mine

Tell me now is it so don't let me be the last to know
My hands are shakin' don't let my heart keep breaking 'cause
I need your love, I want your love
Say you're in love, in love with this guy, if not I'll just die
Joan NYC

Post by Joan NYC »

I think "How Can I Be Sure" was originally by the Young Rascals.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Regarding "this Guy's"...Ive always said that this is the Best Burt Song....MAke It Easy Is another great one....
island_native

Post by island_native »

I'm certainly glad Burt has had renewed recognition of his genius. Maybe this an oft-repeated comment on a forum such as this, but a talented guy coming along after him like Elvis Costello helping to showcase his great songs helps you realize how much subtle perfection is involved in his work.

I think I saw Nelson Riddle listed as an "influence" on Burt on one website. Whether accurate or not, it reminded me the devil is in the details. The arrangements carefully put together by some of these great artists are absolutely priceless. It seems Riddle took standards and painstakingly arranged them into classic works. I suppose Burt put forth just as much inspiration and effort to write and arrange his pieces to achieve the same heights. Hats off to both!
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Ever play a dull piano arrangement of some classic tune from a song folio? Its enough to make you want to quit! This is exactly the point...we want to play or hear music in the best settings possible, and great arrangers like Bacharach, Riddle Marion Evans, etal, make this possible....So when we hear the expert orchestratons by these individuals, we are inspired...
Great observation!
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Sometimes I wonder who the bigger genius is....Burt Bacharach, the songwriter... or Burt Bacharach, the arranger?

I remember, years ago, getting a piano song book that had "Look In My Eyes, Maria". I had never heard the song. I learned it and played it and liked it. Then, years later, I finally heard Burt's version. HOLY SMOKES! I couldn't believe what he did with it! That's what a genius arranger can do for a song.