Recording of Burt Bacharach Songs

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

IngoEricKrauss

Recording of Burt Bacharach Songs

Post by IngoEricKrauss »

Hello,
I am a singer from Augsburg, Germany and own a music label (KMI). Currently I plan to publish a new CD which is called "all time classics in baritone - 2nd edition".
On this CD I plan to record a new arrangement on the song "Close to you" and the recording has already been done in a first production (proof status).
Now I wonder what I need to do to secure the rights of the music which was composed by Mr. Bacharach. Is there any approval process for that (quality, legal)?
I would appreciate in case anybody can give me a hint here.
Many thanks,
Ingo Eric.
Steve Schenck

Re: Recording of Burt Bacharach Songs

Post by Steve Schenck »

Surely, if you own your own record label you must have some legal counsel. You would need, in writing I beleive, the permission of the copyright holder(s). I think you will have to work with Burt's "people" on that directly. If you look at any recent sheet music copy of "Close to You," you will find the current copyright holder. I suggest you go straight to them.
Jan R.

Re: Recording of Burt Bacharach Songs

Post by Jan R. »

Hi Ingo,

your address to go is www.gema.de. Tell them that you did a cover version of this song, and they will tell you what to do.

Btw, there is no need to get any permission from the copyright holder. Any song, once it's published, can be covered by anybody without permission. You just have to announce it to the respective copyright society (which in Germany is the GEMA).

Best,
Jan