Last week's Sounds of the 60s played Warwick's rarity

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

hereiam

Last week's Sounds of the 60s played Warwick's rarity

Post by hereiam »

Brian Matthews' weekly show is my must to listen.
He always picks some real good gems.
Last week he played "Window Wishing", one of my
favorite Bacharach songs by Dionne
He commented that Dionne was frustrated at the time
to sing Bacharach's ever complex songs.
But I really think the chord changes in this song really
show how great Bacharach's songwriting is. I just cannot
imagine if BB stayed to write those simple early pop songs like
Don't Make Me Over, Magic Moments ...

Here's the mp3 recorded of what Brian Matthews said
with the wonderful song

http://www.zshare.net/audio/902125702854e258/

BachtoBacharach

Re: Last week's Sounds of the 60s played Warwick's rarity

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Funny, he called the tune "Window Shopping" and I've never heard any commentary other than here about Warwick's alleged frustration at Bacharach's more complex composing! It doesn't get much more complex than Anyone Who Had A Heart written a full year and a half before Window Wishing...I am not buying those comments. As far as Window Wishing goes, it's one of my alltime favorites! One must not forget (as the "host" seems to have or to have not known) that Bacharach himself said that Warwick's ability to interpret anything he composed actually led him to compose more challenging tunes. Looking With My Eyes is another example of complex Bacharach from the same Here I Am album and where is the "lighter touch" Warwick allegedly didn't like to have to do? SInce the host wasn't even familiar with the name of the tune, I doubt his credentials as a Bacharach expert. And, I have never heard that Warwick "preferred" the gospel or R & B style over another approach. Hogwash is what I think the comments are! He had to come up with something to say, it sounds like!
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: Last week's Sounds of the 60s played Warwick's rarity

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

You're 100% correct B2B! The guy shows himself to be an ignoramus right off the bad by not even knowing the correct title of the song. It would be like a Barbra Streisand expert saying that he loved her song "Don't Snow On My Parade". And I have NEVER read, heard, or come across anything by Dionne saying that Burt's music was too complex. That is such an idiotic statement that I don't know where to begin. In fact, it was Dionne who told Burt about the 7/8 bar in Anyone Who Had A Heart. I think the guy was simply drunk when he made those "made up" statements that have zero basis in fact. If he wants to make up stories, let him find another singer.