concert in Lucca

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

concert in Lucca

Post by nowmedical »

I'm back home in windy London after going to the concert in Lucca last night.

Big crowd - several thousand I'd say - on a warm evening, in one of the picture perfect squares in this divine Tuscan walled town.
Mario Biondi was warm-up - much loved by the Italian audience, songs too samey for me.
Then Burt did a full 2-hour set. It followed the usual format of 3 blocks of medleys, with some add-in songs.

The interesting points were:

1 Burt has decided to sing more songs himself - not sure that's a good thing! - including the whole vocal on Wives and Lovers. At one point his voice gave out completely (during A House is Not A Home), and he had to be bravely rescued by Eliza James on the violin
2 absolute highlight - Josie James singing a full length "Are You There With Another Boy" - I have long adored this song
3 John Pagano was stunning, best I've ever heard him. He outsung Mario Biondi if you ask me.....
4 other unexpected songs - the theme music to Butch Cassidy and the SDK - played twice for no obvious reason!; and super super super My Little Red Book

Other observations:

1 Italian audiences often applaud hard during a song, when the singer reaches a crescendo point; for example at "I want him, I want him to hurt..."; it's an odd habit, but it kind of engages the audience into the performance more and I found myself doing it too
2 nice moment for Eliza when Burt briefly halted the concert to allow her to tune her violin, then thanked her and shook her hand (David will be able to give us the full story of tonight)
3 trademark Bosendorfer piano as always
4 both John and Josie seem to have lost half a stone and looked lean, tanned and toned. I have to say Burt is looking his age, though, especially his walking speed on and off the stage.

Great evening, the Italians know how to enjoy their wonderful summers, the bars and restaurants were still open after midnight.
Last edited by nowmedical on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ron hertel

Re: concert in Lucca

Post by ron hertel »

Thanks "nowmedical" for the informative review of the Lucca concert! ...... Looking forward to the format changes and added songs as Burt performs here in San Diego on August 7th! ........ Still enjoy Burt's vocals as they demonstrate his pride and love for those great songs he has composed through the years. This will be his 8th consecutive year he has appeared with the San Diego Symphony as part of it's Summer Pops series. Dionne has performed with the symphony many times as well!
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

I think the Lucca concert was the most difficult for Ms. Eliza of all Burt's concerts. On the bright side, the Milan concert was jazz to the max. Also, nowmedical, you will have to interpret half a stone for the non English world. 1 stone = 14 poundss = approx 6.4 kilos.

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour nowmedical;

Thanks for sharing the joy of Burt's concert!

As Ron indicated, it's something to look forward to in August in San Diego!

Yes, John Pagano has come into his own!!! I told John this year, you can't keep that voice hidden! John has a number of concerts schedule this year by himself! My wife and I plan to see him on September 2, 2011 in Rhode Island in the states!

Josie is also branching out too! She will be playing with the San Diego Pops on July 17, 2011. The theme of the concert is, James Bond! Josie will be singing a few Bond songs! One of them is, Goldfinger!! 'James, Josie James!'

I am truly happy for the both of them! I am sure we will hear a lot from the both of them in 2012 and beyond!

Take care mon ami.

Vincent
Roberto Pinardi

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

Great performance!!!!!!

Bye
Roberto
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

Ok Roberto, from your video, it looks like Mario Biondi was singing "close to you" directed towards Ms. Eliza.... What is a father to do???? Now they are Facebook friends....hmmmm

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.