anyone else notice the similarities?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

anyone else notice the similarities?

Post by Steve Schenck »

I've been listening to new relatively new Burt songs off of YouTube, and I notice some similarities between them. I'm talking about "Pennies in a Jar" and "Come in Ogni Ora." It's the feel, occasional chord progressions and melodic phrases. They're all typical of Burt. I like them both a lot and am curious as to whether anyone else noticed the kindred feel of these two songs...
Bruce Bernard Williams

Re: anyone else notice the similarities?

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Hi Steve,
Yes, I agree with you that the two songs share similar chord progressions whether they're augmented or diminished. "Come In Ogni Ora" (Translation: "Every Other Hour") is my favorite of the two, especially sung by one of Burt's three (3) background vocalists. I can't remember if it was Josie or Donna, but it too appeared on YouTube. I would like to know if there exists an English studio version of it with Burt at the helm and either Mario OR Karima behind the mike. I saw their video which was half Italian (Karima) and half English (Mario) which, to me, was somewhat distracting. That particular song happens to be my all-time favorite by the Maestro and I've been listening to his music daily since 1958's "Magic Moments" by the late, great Perry Como.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Bruce, that's really something that Come In Ogni Ora is your all-time favorite song of Burt's! I do have to agree that it's one of Burt's most fantastic compositions. I just love it! I learned in another thread here that this song will be in Burt's new Broadway show. And I think it's a great idea because it's so great and would add a lot to ANY score and also because I want the song to be heard by people in this country. How a song like this goes basically unknown in this country is beyone me. If I'm not mistaken, the song was a big hit in Italy.

You mentioned the chord structure. Would you, Bruce -- or anyone here -- know the chords to song? If so, could you just write them out here... and please start with the introduction. I just love that intro, too. If I'm not mistaken (and I may be TOTALLY mistaken on this), it starts with a Maj7 chord and then drops down a major third to another Maj7 chord (like, as an example, from CMaj7 to AbMaj7). The song is songwriting at it's best, no doubt about it. And I'd love to have all the chords to it.

(By the way, they never (to my knowledge) came out with the song folio for the "At This Time" album. I want that sheet music so badly. Just to be able to play "Danger" would be such a thrill. Talk about a composer setting a mood with a song! )
deneicy

Post by deneicy »

Yes! Yes! I have been listening to NikkiJean a lot lately...and I sing Italian, so my ears definitely picked up on this aural serendipity! I want to SING both and wonder where sheet music might be.

Any clues?
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

Bruce Bernard Williams: Josie and Donna and John are not "background vocalists" Good Grief......

David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
Bruce Bernard Williams

Then, what are they?
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

They are fine accomplished musicians in their own right: all of the band members... And if you are not careful, since she is in Tulsa right now, I will have Miss Eliza James turn up on your doorstep and correct your outlook with her violin bow.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Well said, David! Anyone who has seen Burt perform with an orchestra knows that there is no such thing as a "background" anyone. Each instrumentalist and vocalist has an indispensable part. Many (including Miss Eliza) have solo spots and others full songs to sing, but all are essential to the whole performance and the absence of any one would be missed.
Bruce Bernard Williams

Thank you David and Blair for breaking it down. I have seen the Maestro in concert and the both of you are correct-each vocalist/instrumentalist is an integral and essential part of the whole. Burt's recorded concert in Sydney is a testament to that. Just wish he would do some studio recordings of new material featuring Josie, Donna, and John.