Clip from On the Flip Side

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

Clip from On the Flip Side

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Assuming the above link works, you`ll see seven-plus minutes from On the Flip Side. I don`t recall seeing this posted before but maybe I`ve just forgotten.
At any rate, if you were like me you were watching I Spy the one and only time this was broadcast; and frankly I think I Spy has held up a tad betterThe music is great but I don`t think I could sit through a whole 90 minute viewing.
vincent.cole

Re: Clip from On the Flip Side

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Blair;

I have not seen this show since the 60's!Thank goodness those clothes from that period are gone!

The song, "They Don't Give Medals To Yesterday Hero", I just love! Chuck Jackson does a great job on this song too!

Take care;

Vincent
Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

I, too, think it's a terrific score. It's emblematic of Burt and Hal's work as they were nearing the pinnacle of popular success, and a wider awareness by the public of their prodigious talent. I have the CD of the score that was released a few years ago and don't tire of listening. I especially like the 2 versions of "Juanita's Place" on it, and along with Vincent, I think "They Don't Give Medals" is a wonderful song.
Rio

Post by Rio »

(Vincent mentioned this one)
0:47 and 1:38 : nice touches.
Does this drumbeat take place on what is called the downbeat?

This ability to sense whether you should go for the downbeat, if that's what it is, or for the emphasis on the las silable of a phrase is really interesting. (For instance: What the WORLD... needs now, or What the world...BAM..needs now?!)

Sure, just to be the kind of composer who thinks that maybe the drums should do this or that, is already impressive, as Tunick pointed out...

Also, when "world" is said more slowly, it is emphasized (BAM), and then subsequently it is said faster, and it is not. When you think that there are hundreds of things like this going on in Burt's mind in each song... I can't wrap my mind around tunes written more than 50 years ago that I've listened to hundreds -- in many cases, thousands -- of times!