Identifiing a series of old photos

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

steveo_1965

Identifiing a series of old photos

Post by steveo_1965 »

Hi there,
I am calling on some folks who were connected with Burt in the past, during the 60's to
identify a series of pictures located in the photo section of this website...originally featured in the sheet music compilation book entitled "40 Golden Songs" back around 1970...
Here is the link to the series of photos, a recording session with Burt and Hal, probably for a singer..Gene Pitney? Dionne? Jackie De Shannon? http://www.bacharachonline.com/bacharac ... den_01.jpg

If anyone has any knowledge of the history of this recording session, and locale (NYC, or Hollywood) please post...

Ty in advance,

Steveo
BachtoBacharach

Re: Identifiing a series of old photos

Post by BachtoBacharach »

This looks like Bell Sound on W 54th Street in Manhattan and Engineer Ed Smith...this would probably have been a session for Dionne from about 1963 or 1964 from the look of things. Of course, it's easy to identify Burt and Hal and Ed Smith, but I can't identify the gentleman from profile but through the control room glass you can see some session musicians and singers if you enlarge the photos...one of the singers looks like Dionne perhaps? It could be as late as 1965 and the Jackie DeShannon session for What the World Needs Now but I believe the photos are a little earlier than that.
steveo_1965

Re: Identifiing a series of old photos

Post by steveo_1965 »

Ty Bach,
I agree, it looks like New York...The reason I say that is because it doesnt look like any of the Hollywood studios I knew(and I'd been in a lot of them) It also seems to be from the early to mid 60's...that you recognized Ed Smith, also confirms NYC, as I think Burt worked with Ed there, and not in Hollywood(to my knowledge).