Hal David....red alert

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Jerry

Re: Hal David....red alert

Post by Jerry »

Let's all keep hime in our thoughts & prayers...sending healthy thought's in Maestro David's direction...
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

While certainly hoping for Hal`s recovery from whatever has placed him in the hospital, I think we should be prepared for the inevitable. Not to be ghoulish, I still want to offer my take on the man`s achievements before the tearful encomiums (encomia?) begin.
Let`s remember that Hal`s job, first and foremost, was to write lyrics for songs that teenagers could relate themselves to. Hence, the unwieldy number of his protagonists who were only moments from self-annihilation. "I`ll die" are probably the two most frequently paired words in his canon. It was easy to mock these operatic teen dramas and I added my snotty remarks about them on more than one occasion. Yet, last year I played through the entire oeuvre that he and Burt created for Dionne and realised how psychologically astute many of those lyrics were, despite their function as "hit fodder". There was real compassion there; and as others have correctly observed, few tasks are as difficult to bring off as the illusion of effortless simplicity.
Hal`s contribution to "grown-up" songs were equally deceptive in their plain spokenness. "Check Out Time" (notwithstanding Dionne`s lack of appreciation) was a surprisingly adult sketch. "Be Aware" was criticised for suggesting only that state of mind as a response to the world`s ills in the early `70s, but Hal was no more a radical than he was a reactionary. He was a kind, gentle soul whom a number of us here agreed was possibly "the nicest guy on the planet".
"Alfie", obviously, is the capstone of his immortality. Even those who knew nothing else of his work knew this song and its value. Lazy reporters who already knew the answer always posed the question to him, "What`s your favorite song of all those you`ve written?"
I wish, just once, that Hal had replied, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" ...and just let `em all wonder.
I`m glad, as I write, that it`s still not too late.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

My thoughts are with Hal and his family at this time....

"blue"
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

My thoughts exactly, blue. It's important, sometimes, to remember that the people we admire are human beings first: with families, human concerns, etc. As much as we often see them as receptacles for our memories, joys, sorrows, etc., they exist in a much deeper way than simply how we remember, or perceive their work.

So, we wish Mr. David a speedy recovery and more years with the ones he loves.

And, isn't it nice that Robin Gibb is still here!
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I'm very saddened to hear that Hal is in the hospital. I pray he makes a full recovery very soon.

I've said in the past that I believe Hal is one of the least recognized geniuses that we have. I went on google and twitter just now and not a mention of Hal's being ill. I can think of a million other people of lesser talents, who, if they have a hang nail, have it immediately reported all over the internet and have it trending on twitter.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I totally agree, enormous! Hal David may be one of the most quiet & unassuming show business talents EVER. And in today's exhibitionistic atmosphere, where every wheeze & cough from every Reality Show 'Star' virtually stops the media, it is downright admirable!

And, I'm afraid that my initial joy at hearing that Robin Gibb had come out of a coma may have been overstated, as he is not out of the woods.

I send thoughts & prayers to both he and Mr. Hal David and families.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

My best wishes to Hal David, and hope for a speedy recovery....

Hello to my firnd Jerry as well!
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Right back at you, Steveo! Good wishes!
Andre B

Post by Andre B »

Just a couple of years ago, we ran into Hal and his wife at a local Westwood, CA restaurant. I was the only person in the crowded place who recognized him. I decided to buy the David's dinner as a small token of my appreciation for his extraordinary career. He couldn't have been more grateful and kind. We spent several minutes chatting, and he seemed in great shape - healthy, sharp, witty. But of course at his age things can change quickly. We'll be sending good thoughts his way and hoping to see him out on the town again soon.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

How fortunate you are, andre1 Heck, I'd buy the man a month's worth of dinners. His lyrics changed my life.

No kidding.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Andre B

Thank you for sharing that great experience with us - I've met Burt and spent time with Dionne; however, I never had the pleasure of meeting Hal. ........ Have not seen any reports on his health or hospitalization and hope he is on the road to a full recovery.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Been thinking about Hal lately..sure hope he gets better, and gets out of that hospital!
Good thoughts coming your way, Hal!

Steve Owen
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

"Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near? Just like me, they long to be, close to you."

How simple and beautiful that is. But it took Hal David to think it and write it.

"If I could catch a star before it touched the ground, I'd place it in a box, tie ribbons all around, and then I'd give it all to you, a token of my love and deep devotion. The world's a better place with you to come to, I'm a better man, for having loved you."

More simplicity and beauty. But extremely difficult to create. Hal did it time and time again -- for decades! His lyrics will be sung forever.

I'm praying for his total recovery every day.